Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capt. Supermarket
Sep 30, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I would love to see Lisicki win the title. Bouchard and Halep are still young and can play on other surfaces, but Sabine is useless off grass.

Those are my three favorite players, and I feel the same way. I'm worried about the Lisicki injury from yesterday though; her serve was completely gone and I seriously doubt she can get past Halep without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Too many easy errors on important points for Lisicki. What is this, 6 games in a row now for Halep? Bine needs a timeout.

EDIT horrorshow

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 2, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Halep/Lisicki feels like it's over. Tide has turned permanently for Halep.

And Genie is starting to run away in her match too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bouchard and Halep up a set and a break each. Bring on the men already.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Double-break for Genie, triple-break for Halep. Dissapointing 2nd sets.

Impressive stuff from both of them though, especially from Genie.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Another sad end on Centre Court for Lisicki, but she was injured this time.

e: drat it BBC, stop hiring Jimmy Connors. I'd rather listen to Phil Neville all day.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 2, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Will & Kate in the royal box :allears:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well what do you know. Dimitrov seems to be doing it. Up two sets to love on Murray. Murray was in this same spot last year and came back to win so I'm not counting him out yet.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Will & Kate in the royal box :allears:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

kyrgios raonic should be interesting. I wonder if Murrays back is acting up.

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014
Murray looks done.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

This is some awful poo poo from Murray. In that first set, Murray was so bad I thought he must be ill!

Dimitrov has done well but Murray has handed it to him on a plate with so many shots into the net.

Oh Andy :sigh:

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 2, 2014

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I would laugh if the final was Dimitrov vs Federer. Glad to see Dimitrov getting better results on tour this year, he was very hyped as a youth player and it's nice to see that paying off.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Serena could've beat Andy Murray today.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Must say the tournament's been rather delightful this year.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Jack's Flow posted:

I just want Kerber or Lisicki to finally win this thing. Or any Grand Slam, really.

Welp. It was inevitable.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Djokovic is 2-1 down and is rolling around on the grass quite often.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Wow, I wasn't expecting to wake up to see that Murray had gone out. Cilic is up 2-1 on Djokovic right now as well.

Three straight GS semis for Eugenie is pretty amazing. I think she'll have a tough time beating Halep though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Djokovic and Federer getting knocked out would be cool

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If Murray, Djokovic, and Fed went out all within a few hours of each other that would be crazy.

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

My dream would be to have first-time winners for both the men and women...I still think Djokovic is gonna come back and win this whole tournament though.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Holy crap Wawrinka is just murdering the ball. Every backhand he connects on sounds like a gunshot.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

The Duke of Avon posted:

My dream would be to have first-time winners for both the men and women...I still think Djokovic is gonna come back and win this whole tournament though.

I'm with you on that one. Or if not, for Wawrinka or Kvitova to win it.

Anyone but Djokovic or Federer really.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Kyrgios is cool :cool:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone but Djokovic win please

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Lessail posted:

Kyrgios is cool :cool:

But Milos must crush him. Milos is programmed to crush.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

But Milos must crush him. Milos is programmed to crush.

yeah I started rooting for Kyrgios and that's the kiss of death :smith:

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Hard not to get excited about this Kyrgios kid. Raonic is ok and everything but he's soooooo boring.. and don't get me started on that loving arm sleeve thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Who are the upcoming tennis players I should know about? I only really follow it during the majors and obviously followed Kyrgios yesterday.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Thank god Kyrgios is out.

Nothing against him, it's the twats in the crowd who can gently caress right off.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Mind you, this chap looks like he walked off the set of the Great Gatsby.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

so dapper :allears:

Kind of doubt he'll be able to beat Federer but this is still pretty awesome. Really seems to have cleaned up the UEs that were killing him before. Must be the sleeve :D

Just realized that Murray is going to take a pretty big drop in the rankings with today's loss, I think he'll end up 9th or so. Milos is gonna be #6 and Dimitrov will be #8 even if they both lose on Friday.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I love Kate.

Canadians in the semis of the men's and women's Wimbledon tourney for the first time since...ever. :toot:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst case scenario is Novak/Roger, which is the most tolerable big-4 matchup by far. Good tournament.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jose posted:

Who are the upcoming tennis players I should know about? I only really follow it during the majors and obviously followed Kyrgios yesterday.
On the men's side, we have:

Milos Raonic is 23 and has been around for a few years, but he's really improved recently with a QF at the French Open and a SF here. He has arguably the best serve in the game.

Grigor Dimitrov, also 23, has the same deal of a breakout year with 3 wins at smaller tournaments, QF at Australian Open, and SF here. He has the most complete game of the ATP Young GunsTM. He'a also famous for being drat sexy and Maria Sharapova's boyfriend.

Nick Kyrgios turned 19 in April, so this is his first full year beyond the junior level. He has all the tools to win a grand slam but isn't quite ripe yet.

Raonic is probably the least likely to be a big name in the future because he doesn't move that well.

On the women's side, we have:

Simona Halep, 22 and ranked 3, had a huge year last year, winning six (!) times. This year, she's won a smaller tournament, QF at Australian Open, final at French Open, and SF here. She had breast reduction surgery a few years ago, and it really was the right move because they were cartoonishly large.

Eugenie Bouchard, 20, is the next big thing in women's tennis. She won her first title in May and has reached the SF of all 3 majors this year. She's a hot, tall leggy blonde who speaks English natively and has a power game. Remind you of anyone? Hint: it's Grigor Dimitrov's girlfriend.

Simona has a solid game with great redirection but she has mediocre serve and power. Of course, the same could be said for Li Na who now has 2 majors, and Simona is 10 years younger. I expect her to win multiple majors.

Genie has a very robotic game. What I meant by that is her strokes are very snatchy, lacking a flowing smoothness. She also has a mediocre serve for her size, and in my opinion, doesn't actually have any weapons; it just appears that she does because she takes the ball really early, but this is a purely tactical matter that could eventually be exposed. Still, I expect her to win multiple majors.

There are a few other supposed up and comers on the women's side who've had some notable victories, including Garbine Mugaruza, Ajla Tomljanovic, and Madison Keys, but they have yet to prove themselves. The same praise was given to Sloane Stephens and Laura Robson, and they haven't done jack squat. To be fair, Robson has had a wrist injury for a year, but also, she's had a wrist injury FOR A YEAR and may never fully recover.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 2, 2014

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The worst case scenario is Novak/Roger, which is the most tolerable big-4 matchup by far.

So...have you ever watched a Nadal - Federer match before? They tend to be pretty awesome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

So...have you ever watched a Nadal - Federer match before? They tend to be pretty awesome.

I hate Rafa Nadal, his utterly boring defensive play, and I hope he gets busted and his legacy tarnished Armstrong style.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I hate Rafa Nadal, his utterly boring defensive play, and I hope he gets busted and his legacy tarnished Armstrong style.

This, but also Djokovic and his loving "gluten free diet"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They are all doped, of course, but for some reason I find Novak's games less unwatchable than Nadal's. Also he's not Spanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've seen commentators mention him going from quitting matches to winning and his "gluten free diet" being the result twice ffs

• Locked thread