Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
According to our lord and savior Jon Skeet, the answer is no:

Jon Skeet posted:

It's a shame that you can't widen access in C# as you can in Java, but
I'm glad you can't narrow it as that would break Liskov's
substitutability rule (depending on what it actually meant to narrow
the access, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

I've had decent luck with John Papa's SPA / Visual studio template

There's an associated Pluralsight video with it but I haven't had a chance to watch it.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

I inadvertently clicked on "Enable .NET framework source stepping" in the debug/general menu and now although It's unclicked it still steps through everything :( I even exported the config file and verified that the option is set to 0, but still no dice.

Using VS 2013.3, any suggestions?

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Does this mean you get that annoying thing that says: Need source file for yadda yadda.cs?

No help, I got the same error. Now I get to remember each time make a call to an external library. Really, really annoying.

Yes, it happens all the loving time :mad: Probably going to uninstall/reinstall tomorrow and hope for the best.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

A Tartan Tory posted:

Honestly, I'm on a massive downer because of this mostly because even after the better part of a week of dedicated study on it, including multiple examples from everyone here and youtube videos etc. I just straight up don't get it.

I don't get it to the extent where I don't even know where to start doing the basic program you say to try and I really don't understand why I can't either. Everything I make at the moment regarding it seems like a massive jumbled up mess that makes no sense, when it made perfect sense when I did it with the console.

I feel like a complete helpless idiot doing this stuff and I'm struggling to think of how to get over this hurdle because nothing I do actually seems to work and it is incredibly frustrating.

Nthing everyone else here: WPF/MVVM is not easy. It took all of us some time to understand it. Once you hit that 'aha' moment then you realize it turns into something spectacular and never want to go back to winforms.

I helped someone convert their example program to proper MVVM in another thread. Granted the dealer hitting/staying logic doesn't work, but it's a simple example of INotifyPropertyChanged, RelayCommand, and datacontext implementations.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

Nope!

All the good poo poo that you can do with WPF can't be done with winforms.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

Any suggestions as to why:

code:
msbuild c:\my\stupid\project.csproj /P:Configuration=DoesntMatter /P:DeployTarget=Package /P:DeployOnBuild=True
works perfectly fine (creates the web deploy zip) with msbuild 12.0, but doesn't work at all with 14.0? My whole build system depends on this so it's kind of harshing my buzz :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

Sorry, I was a bit annoyed at spending hours trying to solve this then ending up stumbling upon the answer by chance.

candy for breakfast posted:

Any suggestions as to why:

code:
msbuild c:\my\stupid\project.csproj /P:Configuration=DoesntMatter /P:DeployTarget=Package /P:DeployOnBuild=True
works perfectly fine (creates the web deploy zip) with msbuild 12.0, but doesn't work at all with 14.0? My whole build system depends on this so it's kind of harshing my buzz :(

update: if the flag /P:VisualStudioVersion=12.0 is used with msbuild 14.0 it works. Seems hacky but whatever.

Here's what happens on 14.0:

code:
CoreCompile:
Skipping target "CoreCompile" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
_CopyOutOfDateSourceItemsToOutputDirectoryAlways:
  Copying file from "c:\buildAgent\work\b56d4df85535e898\StupidProject\Libraries\OldShit.dll" to "bin\Release\Libraries\OldShit.dll".
CopyFilesToOutputDirectory:
  StupidProject -> c:\buildAgent\work\b56d4df85535e898\StupidProject\bin\Release\StupidProject.dll
Done Building Project "c:\buildAgent\work\b56d4df85535e898\StupidProject\StupidProject.csproj" (default targets).

Build succeeded.

vs. what happens with 12.0:

code:
CoreCompile:
Skipping target "CoreCompile" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
_CopyOutOfDateSourceItemsToOutputDirectoryAlways:
  Copying file from "c:\buildAgent\work\b56d4df85535e898\StupidProject\Libraries\OldShit.dll" to "bin\Release\Libraries\OldShit.dll".
  StupidProject -> c:\buildAgent\work\b56d4df85535e898\StupidProject\bin\Release\StupidProject.dll
_CopyAppConfigFile:
  Copying file from "Web.config" to "bin\Release\StupidProject.dll.config".
  StupidProject-> c:\buildAgent\work\b56d4df85535e898\StupidProject\bin\Release\StupidProject.dll
ValidateGlobalPackageSetting:
  $(PackageAsSingleFile) is True
  $(PackageFileName) is obj\Release\Package\StupidProject.zip. Validating...
CollectFilesFromIntermediateAssembly:
  Gather all files from Project items @(IntermediateAssembly). Adding:
  bin\Release\StupidProject.dll to bin\StupidProject.dll
CollectFilesFromContent:
  Gather all files from Project items @(Content). Adding: ...

(proceeds to do the web transforms, file collection, package pipeline)
It's like the deploy target flag is being completely ignored :confused:

edit: this build vm has nothing more than build tools 2013 and 2015 installed

gnatalie fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 23, 2015