Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

MisterZimbu posted:

Ugh, there's a longstanding bug in Visual Studio/.NET (?) that's been the bane of my existence for about a year.

[list]
[*] Project is an ASP WebForms application (I've seen it in Web Site projects as well, believe I've seen it in MVC but can't remember if that's actually true)
[*] Project has references to Newtonsoft.Json >= v6 and WebApi (which has a dependency on Newtonsoft.Json >= 4.5.1)

We had that too a while ago and I can't remember how we got round it, probably using binding redirects. I'm sure there were a bunch of nuget packages which all had references to different versions of Newtonsoft.Json but one of them was = instead of => that version which was causing it.

It annoyed me as much as one period when out of the box an MVC web project would have hard coded version number requirement on X whilst some other package demanded >X+1 of some other package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

GameCube posted:

I'm working on a library that we publish internally as a nuget to use in a few Xamarin apps. Every time I want to test a change to my library, I build the library, package the nuget, save it to my local nuget source, then upgrade my app's solution to that nuget. For some reason though, upgrading that nuget from the VS package manager takes literally forever (meaning, like, five minutes). Is it normal for a package update to take so long? And if so, is there a better way to do what I'm doing? This code->build->package->upgrade->build->debug cycle is killing me.

What's in the library? We have a pile of nuget packages we deal with in a similar manner and all are really quick apart from one. That one instead of installing a single dll+bits installs hundreds of resources/images so it goes through and deletes the old version then adds each new one before finally sorting out which ones didn't change and fixing the settings for being Content/copy of newer or whatever.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
I’ve used Ibex to generate PDFs. Its libraries are .Net Framework and there’s a prototype in .Net Core available now. https://www.xmlpdf.com you write in xsl-fo and then use xslt to transform into pdfs. So a bit different to writing the document in c# against a library but you can ship the libraries with your application. The support is pretty incredible though. I was working on upgrading our version to one where they changed their svg engine and was submitting bug reports and they’d deploy a fix within 24hrs most of the time.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
You can assign a namespace to a resx file so can programatically reference the text without using a string as a key.
So from memory it’s something like namespace.class.key treating it as a pseudo-static value if you use a namespace vs a mechanism to call as GetResource(“key”) if you don’t with the first obviously being preferred. I say pseudo-static, because if you do go down the route of translating the test you can use the UI thread culture to pick up the appropriate text from file.resx, file.fr.resx, file.de.resx or whatever. If you didn’t assign a namespace I can’t remember if you have to do something like GetResource(“key”, lang-code)

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Hammerite posted:

are you asking me specifically, or posing a question to a hypothetical reader who might upgrade?

I touch C++ occasionally on our legacy apps but mostly do C#, to answer your question. I don't read the release notes for updates, I just let VS update when it tells me there's an update. Usually I don't regret doing that.

Same, had a bunch of white screens of death just from interacting with c# projects. A great boost of confidence before they completely change how the .net ecosystem works in less than 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
Probably not what is being looked for, but I have used Ibex for years https://www.xmlpdf.com/. That old app is still on Framework so can't speak for the newer .Net Core/.Net versions of the lib though. You use XSLT to transform XML into XSL-FO then onto PDF (or html/rtf/whatever). A bunch of times I hit an issue, usually with localisation, or when they rewrote their own SVG engine at a major version jump, I'd submit a bug with a sample. Come in the next day to an email to download the new version with a fix. Never had an external library owner be so responsive.

Now working on a Java app where we use apache fop to transform json using thymeleaf templates which is definitely a lot simpler. From a quick search it looks like there's a dead attempt to convert that to .net too, which is interesting, wonder how much effort is involved in that kind of thing https://www.nuget.org/packages/crispin.fop