Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If you only want core then rider is excellent, especially on Mac where VS is pretty lacking (and completely absent on Linux)

I'd love to use it as my primary ide but I maintain to many old projects and switching between vs and rider constantly is to much of a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

What do you use that's in Resharper that's not in Roslyn?

Lots more code analysis and refactoring options. 2017 has now gotten Roslyn to the point that if I was personally paying for ReSharper I'd probably just not bother and fill the gap with free plug-ins though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Good list. One thing I don't see mentioned is an editor config.

Arguing with developers about coding style is a pain in the arse. Stick wiggly red lines under their bad styling and they will just fix it without much fuss.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

At my place we are moving forward with react for the front end , C# for the backend. The front end is pretty set in stone though so I mostly just copy and paste existing controls and tie it up to the backend where the real work is, so I'd still call myself a backend Dev.

Things are becoming webdev focused because it's just more convenient for people to use stuff from a browser these days. Why build an app that people download when you can build a service for them to consume through a browser and charge a subscription for it?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

We switched to IronPdf last year and it's been nothing but trouble.

Constant bugs and time out issues.
They push out breaking changes with no documentation.
Their verbose logging is trash and spits out stuff they don't know what it means.

Avoid.