Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Deus Rex posted:

Let's be clear about what you're saying here - TFS is free up to 5 developers until you have to purchase a support contract from some TFS consultant to figure out how to make it work.

TFS once it's set up is really straightforward.

What you need to make sure is that you're 100% confident with how you want to work with it prior to setup. We changed work item templates recently, and that was a BITCH and meant we had to create a new project collection and lose all of our source control history.

Why, why, why is source control so indelibly matted into work item tracking. I understand losing all of the work items (which have been easily exported and remapped via Excel) but we had to super tediously recreate all our branches and do a fuckton of baseless merges to get us back working again.

Also, branches. Creating feature branches in TFS is a real tedious experience, I wish it did them properly like Git.

In short, don't get a support contract, hire a guy who knows what the gently caress he's doing for a couple of days before you set yourself up in an environment you will not *ever* be able to change unless you want to scrap the whole thing and start again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

uXs posted:

Anyone have any experience connecting to Sharepoint services?

Problem I'm having is that when I start my application and it connects to the service, it gets the reply: the remote name could not be resolved: 'localhost'. But when I then use a browser to go to the wsdl on the server, and then run my application again, connecting to the service does work. Any ideas?

Edit: when I download the wsdl in my program first (with WebClient), it works too. But only when I set the Credentials to the DefaultNetworkCredentials.

Can't say specifically about Sharepoint, but this stopped us dead trying to intiialise an old web service on a new machine yesterday:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/6550f476-9c8c-4056-a153-2074fa2f6993/error-cs2001-cs2008

The response we were getting was "cannot resolve <servername>" as well.

Fix was to give permission for the asp.net process to modify the Windows/Temp directory.

E: wrong url

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Newf posted:

What method does HashSet<> use in order to determine whether an element is already a member of the set?

I've got a set of bean objects, but I'd like only one field in the bean to be the 'key' for insertion. Eg, I want to prevent the insertion of new objects into the set if it's key is already contained in the set. I has assumed from the name that it was checking hashes as a unique ID, but the following doesn't work:

code:
public class DataBean
{
  public String Key;
  public String OtherData;

public override int GetHashCode()
  {
    return Key.GetHashCode();
  }

public DataBean(String k, String D) { Key = k; OtherData = D }
}

var set = new HashSet<DataBean>();
set.Add(new DataBean("1234", "other data"));
set.Add(new DataBean("1234", "hello world")); // set now contains both objects, but the second Add should have failed
You'll need to override Equals I think

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

uXs posted:

That... looks like a completely different problem?

The problem happened to us (and again, may be completely different to your problem, I'm not sitting at your desk) that the call to the web service was not reporting the actual error, but instead simply failing at the attempt to connect to the web service in teh production environment. Only sticking in shitloads of trace code to try and find out what the problem was revealed the error.

The symptom was the same, that I could access a web service from a browser, from SoapUI, from anywhere but the app installed in an IIS environment. You said you can connect if using different credentials, so your problem does suggest it's a permissions issue?

E: sorry misread the bit about it working from a browser then working from your application. Maybe your browser is accessing via different credentials, and therefore creating whatever files the web service connection needs to be in the temp directory?

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 16, 2014