Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

aBagorn posted:

Has anyone tried out ASP.NET vNext on a Linux/Mac box yet?

Unfortunately I don't have any box to work on right now (can't spin up a VM on the work PC and don't have the RAM to do it at home) but depending on how well it works I'd consider switching up the hosting for my personal site, as well as offering non-windows hosted web applications for people.

I'd be interested if you do get this working. I have the latest master of mono running fine but I'm having issues with the K runtime and running kpm restore against the web-based samples. Just weird mono exceptions and x509 certificate errors when trying to retrieve the AspNet hosting related libraries - even though I've trusted all of the right SSL certs, as far as I know. https://github.com/aspnet/home - with these samples, I was able to get the console app working fine with kpm restore, but the web samples just throw a poo poo fit. I've given up for now, I tried the mono IRC channel for help but it's dead and am not sure where to go from there, maybe I'll log an issue on that github project.

I tried using this prebuilt docker image https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/akoeplinger/mono-aspnetvnext/ as well but have exactly the same issues, though my own environment is pretty much the same anyway, so not surprising but it looks like it's only been broken for the past couple of weeks.

ShaunO fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

code:
var x = await GetAMyObjectAsync(); // okay

var y = await DoAThingAsync(); // not okay
Team 2 is not happy with the second line because the return type of the RHS is not immediately discernible, but Team 1 does not want to rename DoAThingAsync to DoAThingThatReturnsMyResponseAsync.

Use var everywhere, IMO.

Team 1 not wanting to have sensible names for their methods is a bit ridiculous and I think eclipses the var discussion. You shouldn't need to include the name of the return type in the method name but DoAThingAsync() should be fairly obvious what the return type is based on the context surrounding the code. I would expect something like a ThingResult object. I think with intuitive naming surrounded by code that clearly defines the context of what is going on, it shouldn't matter what the actual return types are.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Ithaqua posted:

Just wanted to thank everyone for the web app advice. I ended up saying "gently caress it" and starting out with just MVC, jQuery, and SignalR. I hacked a tech demo together last night, then spent today redoing it using knockout because the JS was turning into a big mess of random DOM manipulation. I'll probably revisit everything with bootstrap when I have some free time, since the HTML is pretty hideous. Then I can actually start building real functionality!

Please try react at some point, I threw knockout in the bin because its performance is poo poo in comparison and I feel code written with knockout isn't very reusable
It's a whole different ballgame in terms of tooling and you'll probably end up in the npm world and using a different editor for jsx source files but I'm so glad I went down that path. The component based architecture is so much better than the knockout/angular data binding style IMO

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Ithaqua posted:

Does anyone have any ideas about getting around SignalR's inability to have async event handlers? I'm working on something where I have my application's logic totally platform-agnostic and want to fire events when the internal state changes and needs to be pushed to clients, but SignalR can't handle async void methods.

I don't really understand why SignalR can't handle async methods but in my situation I'm having to call awaitable methods using task.ConfigureAwait(false). I probably need to spawn a new thread worker before I invoke the awaitable method too but in general I found no Tasks to work without the ConfigureAwait(false). There doesn't seem to be much info in my Googling regarding this and the MSDN doc for it sucks cock.