Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006

Ithaqua posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for how to build a modern SPA that leverages MVC5/WebAPI and SignalR and whatever JS frameworks are hot right now? I haven't done any webdev in the past few years, and I really want to put something modern together to keep my skills sharp.

Part of the fun is that I'm absolutely terrible at HTML and CSS. I have to resist the urge to use tables for layout.

As far as layout goes, I'd recommend using a css framework. Bootstrap, foundation, something like that. At the bare minimum, a fluid grid. If you want a really nice resume project, I'm sure you could find a $30 theme from https://wrapbootstrap.com/ to really impress people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006

ShaunO posted:

Please try react at some point, I threw knockout in the bin because its performance is poo poo in comparison and I feel code written with knockout isn't very reusable
It's a whole different ballgame in terms of tooling and you'll probably end up in the npm world and using a different editor for jsx source files but I'm so glad I went down that path. The component based architecture is so much better than the knockout/angular data binding style IMO

This is truth. React is awesome. Best of the lot, I think.

The only caveat is that if you're looking for resume fodder, react doesn't seem to me to be too popular in the .Net community.

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006

mortarr posted:

Does anyone have or know of a .net wrapper for ghostscript, or some other free pdf library?

I'm trying to render single pages to png using imageresizers' pdf renderer, but I've got some kind of wierd pdf that is causing it to fail, and I want to get to grips with what's causing my failure without going through the imageresizer pipeline.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/itextsharp/

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006

Ithaqua posted:

Don't do this from build. Use a real release tool.

What would you use for this?