Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Zain posted:

This game does look amazing. How much more difficult does the game get or is it fairly easy all the way through?

The game gets really difficult beyond a certain point, especially if you're trying to get all the missions. For the most part it's not too tough, however.

dijon du jour posted:

Also, does the thread link in the most recent video's description not actually link to the thread for anyone else?

Yeah, it did the same thing for me. Not sure what that's about. I copied the thread title into the description a second time and now it seems to work, at least! v:v:v

Pidmon posted:

How the hell did I not notice the UI on the sides of the level back when I played this? That would've meant I didn't have to keep pausing to check the mission list! Ugh!

This is probably because you played the game in 4:3 mode! Because all the graphics in this game are hand-drawn, if the 16:9 mode stretched the visuals it would look really off. Instead, if your Wii is set to display in 16:9 the helpful UI bits on the sides of the screen are added in to fill the space! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I seem to remember there being secret levels (one or two per world, I saw that the shop was selling maps to one per world and I remember there being others) that get tough as nails. So y'all have that to look forward to.

e: holy poo poo the missions for some of those :eyepop:. Good luck, dude.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 29, 2014

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

If nobody else is gonna take this, I'll get my hands on this next paycheck.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Maybe if you can finish Wario Land 2 first. :v:

MR. J fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 1, 2014

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Between Foulwater Falls and Run-Down Pyramid, that video had some of my favourite music tracks in the game. Would it be possible to do a list of links for them?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren:Update time!:siren:

We beat a boss last time, but that hardly means we're done! We're going into World 2 this time, which starts us off with some hella good music and and honest-to-goodness fun vehicle level.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You guys messed up by not giving this the TREASURE tag. Good LP so far though.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
You guys really needed to put the emphasis on the WA in subwarine.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

Between Foulwater Falls and Run-Down Pyramid, that video had some of my favourite music tracks in the game. Would it be possible to do a list of links for them?

Sure thing! I'll start putting one together tomorrow.

Zaggitz posted:

You guys messed up by not giving this the TREASURE tag. Good LP so far though.

Look treasure is only on screen about 50% of the time and Wario is on screen 100% of the time. I went with the thread tag that was more representative. :colbert:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
You know, for all the time I've owned a Wii, I've never even heard of this game until I saw this LP. I'm late to the Wario Party, but I'm definitely gonna follow along; it looks like something I'd regret missing.

Also, and this is kind of an oddball question, but I never played the Wario Land series after 2. When did Wario and Syrup become friendly rivals? I thought Syrup was the mainstay villain...? Or does it begin in this game?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Digital Jello posted:

You know, for all the time I've owned a Wii, I've never even heard of this game until I saw this LP. I'm late to the Wario Party, but I'm definitely gonna follow along; it looks like something I'd regret missing.

Also, and this is kind of an oddball question, but I never played the Wario Land series after 2. When did Wario and Syrup become friendly rivals? I thought Syrup was the mainstay villain...? Or does it begin in this game?
Given Wario's general amorality and greediness, it's unsurprising that he'd team up with his antagonist if there was money in it.

As for Captain Syrup... well, she is charging you for the area maps and heart containers...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think Syrup was in Wario Land 3 and 4 at all.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't think Syrup was in Wario Land 3 and 4 at all.

Captain Syrup appeared in Wario Land 1, 2, and Shake It. Virtua Boy, 3, 4, World, Master of Disguise, and all the minigames did not have any appearances.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 3, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Digital Jello posted:

Wario and Captain Syrup certainly have a bit of a strange relationship. For all intents and purposes Wario is the villain in Wario Land 1. He decides to go steal Captain Syrup's treasure without any provocation. In Wario Land 2, Captain Syrup invades the castle that Wario built with all the money in the first game. She's pretty much just taking back what's rightfully hers. v:v:v

I think what it comes down to is that Captain Syrup is a slick thinker and Wario just doesn't give a hoot who he allies himself with as long as there's money involved. Captain Syrup finds out that there's a lot of treasure to get in the Shake Dimension but she doesn't want to get her hands dirty herself. That's why she sends the globe to Wario, so they can split the takes without her having to do any of the actual work!

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Oh man I love this game! I haven't played this game in years so it'll be nice to revisit everything. Few things though:
1) I didn't know you didn't have to shake the wiimote continuously to do things. That would have made the gymnastics bar things way less annoying.
2) If this game is canon(tm) with the rest of the series then Wario should still have his castle. I like to think he keeps all his junk, and his sweet car, in the dungeons beside the unused torture devices (and the giant snake).
3) How dare you not baseball slide into the level exits. You have no showmanship.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Really, I was just curious. I did my Mario Wiki homework and realized that you're all correct in that Syrup never really appeared outside of those games and that out of some coincidence, those were the only Wario Land games I played. I had always assumed she was a series mainstay villain (read: Bowser, Sigma, King Dedede, Cortex, Robotnik, etc.) so I was wondering if they turned her semi-good/anti-hero somewhere down the road. Despite all that, I really like her pirate-y design. Back in the day, the token nerds and I used to debate whether Captain Syrup was a dude or a chick based on her crappy Wario Land 1 sprite.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Digital Jello posted:

Really, I was just curious. I did my Mario Wiki homework and realized that you're all correct in that Syrup never really appeared outside of those games and that out of some coincidence, those were the only Wario Land games I played. I had always assumed she was a series mainstay villain (read: Bowser, Sigma, King Dedede, Cortex, Robotnik, etc.) so I was wondering if they turned her semi-good/anti-hero somewhere down the road. Despite all that, I really like her pirate-y design. Back in the day, the token nerds and I used to debate whether Captain Syrup was a dude or a chick based on her crappy Wario Land 1 sprite.

Based on my Wario/Mario wiki homework, apparently it was first implied that Captain Syrup was a dude. Wario was surprised when he confronted the evil Captain and discovered wait what it's a girl :derp:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

JordanKai posted:

Wario and Captain Syrup certainly have a bit of a strange relationship. For all intents and purposes Wario is the villain in Wario Land 1. He decides to go steal Captain Syrup's treasure without any provocation. In Wario Land 2, Captain Syrup invades the castle that Wario built with all the money in the first game. She's pretty much just taking back what's rightfully hers. v:v:v

I think what it comes down to is that Captain Syrup is a slick thinker and Wario just doesn't give a hoot who he allies himself with as long as there's money involved. Captain Syrup finds out that there's a lot of treasure to get in the Shake Dimension but she doesn't want to get her hands dirty herself. That's why she sends the globe to Wario, so they can split the takes without her having to do any of the actual work!

And better than that, she runs the shop, so she ends up getting all of the treasure anyway! I bet she gets all her goods on the cheap too, since she's a "hero" in this circumstance like Wario is.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

BottledBodhisvata posted:

And better than that, she runs the shop, so she ends up getting all of the treasure anyway! I bet she gets all her goods on the cheap too, since she's a "hero" in this circumstance like Wario is.

I like to think that before she sent Wario the globe, she took it apart so she could sell the pieces back to him.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I like to think that before she sent Wario the globe, she took it apart so she could sell the pieces back to him.

Wow, I never realised this game was actually a metaphor for DLC practices.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Wow, I never realised this game was actually a metaphor for DLC practices.

Well, you are literally grabbing people and shaking them until money falls out so

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

You can't spell 'Shake' without 'EA'!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

It's time to finish up World 2! Some of both the best and the worst this game has to offer is on display in this video. It's going to be a wild ride, so to speak, so strap in! :cool:

The Treasury has also been updated!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The game doesn't really need to let you know that the diamond is there; it's a secret, after all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that was an amazing boss. Liked it when he switched his pattern up, along with the flaming turbo charge.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Heh. 'Hot Roderick.'

Heh.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

The game doesn't really need to let you know that the diamond is there; it's a secret, after all.

You're a secret! <:mad:>

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Fart-based soundtracks are a staple of the Wario games. See FutureFriend's Wario Land LP for details.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This boss fight is when I knew I was in for the long haul on this game. So good.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

In which I confuse meters with valves. :saddowns:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ikwaylx posted:

I hope that the amount of booty increases exponentially with every video, the amount of "shaking it" I've seen so far has made me optimistic.
Also I lied about not linking the Game and Wario trailer. Wario speaking in full sentences just kinda rubs me the wrong way, although it's still a decent enough trailer. Maybe it's just me, who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSY98rBOca0

I know I'm a month late on this, but Wario's fake Kickstarter thing was awesome, and has a way better trailer.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm pretty sure the music in the train level is more in line with Aaron Copland than anything else, given the wild west aesthetic of the trains
:eng101:
e: with a dash of Sergio Leone in the beginning, of course.

e: I just don't hear Indiana Jones dude, sorry. :(

Great LP though, don't get me wrong.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 17, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

I totally guessed that you needed to jump onto the pistons. They set it up for you by having the pistons be just slightly too tall to jump on without assistance, and then making the second conveyor belt be one tile higher than the first one.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm pretty sure the music in the train level is more in line with Aaron Copland than anything else, given the wild west aesthetic of the trains
:eng101:
e: with a dash of Sergio Leone in the beginning, of course.

Oh come on now, you're going to tell me the Wreck Train music doesn't at least remind you a little of the Indiana Jones theme song? :arghfist::(

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

JordanKai posted:

Man the fossil level is pretty much the best music in the entire game. Shame the escape theme is only 1:30 because its so good.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I like that the train had Wario's moustache on the front. Makes no sense, but then the Wario games have never been entirely consistent, as you can see from this timeline I have pieced together from developer's blog posts and homeless man ramblings.

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know I'm a month late on this, but Wario's fake Kickstarter thing was awesome, and has a way better trailer.
I've never actually seen the full version before, but I always liked just how natural it would seem for Wario to use something like Kickstarter to fund a project. I wish Game and Wario was more akin to previous Warioware titles, but I suppose that's why it isn't called Warioware after all.
Nothing beats the dance stage from Smooth Moves on max speed with friends though. :c00l:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What happens if you get squished by the pistons? Instant kill? Or Flat Wario from the older games?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Carbon dioxide posted:

What happens if you get squished by the pistons? Instant kill? Or Flat Wario from the older games?

Neither you just get temporarily smushed in a humorous fashion and I've been waiting for JordanKai to show it off the whole LP. :arghfist::saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Ignore this.

• Locked thread