Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I always like the ancient levels. In every game they tend to be the best part of the whole run and this continues on that tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dareon posted:

I like that the train had Wario's moustache on the front. Makes no sense, but then the Wario games have never been entirely consistent, as you can see from this timeline I have pieced together from developer's blog posts and homeless man ramblings.

I think that's actually supposed to be the Shake King's crooked smile.

It does look very similar to Wario's 'stache though. Perhaps this was a conscious design choice to show that they're Not So Different. :tinfoil:

dijon du jour posted:

Neither you just get temporarily smushed in a humorous fashion and I've been waiting for JordanKai to show it off the whole LP. :arghfist::saddowns:

It's gonna come up in the future, I promise! :)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

JordanKai posted:

Oh come on now, you're going to tell me the Wreck Train music doesn't at least remind you a little of the Indiana Jones theme song? :arghfist::(

Well, of course, because Indiana Jones is a pastiche of old 1930s adventure serials. But I'm not sure it's really fair to give credit to the thing referencing something than crediting the original reference it's referencing. Too many layers of redirection. :v:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

JordanKai posted:

Oh come on now, you're going to tell me the Wreck Train music doesn't at least remind you a little of the Indiana Jones theme song? :arghfist::(

If it makes you feel better, Copland is so ingrained in the American collective consciousness that we may very well both be right.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I read a while ago on some fansite that the Shake King was actually homage to one of Wario's earlier concept designs. I don't know how true this is and my sources are lacking, but the King's smile/Wario's 'stache comparison reminded me of it.

The train music doesn't sound so Indiana Jones-ish as it does "adventurous", or like during some fast-paced segment from a '90's action flick. Regardless, I love it.

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Digital Jello posted:

The train music doesn't sound so Indiana Jones-ish as it does "adventurous", or like during some fast-paced segment from a '90's action flick. Regardless, I love it.
This is what I was trying to say during the video but couldn't really explain very well. The music reminds me of a high tension moment in an old style action movie, it's perfect for what you're doing in Wreck Train.
I could gush for hours about the game music. It's just that a good soundtrack completely makes a game for me.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Strap in folks, we're going to Vegas! :cool:

The Treasury has also been updated!

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Chortlebot's working some rough chortles these days.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I'm so upset you won't baseball slide into the level exits.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I'm so bummed. I almost bought this game for like ten dollars once but everyone I asked told me it sucked and I decided against it. I'm seriously regretting that now.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I'm so upset you won't baseball slide into the level exits.

Well, we record a lot of these episodes in advance because Ikwaylx and I don't get a lot of opportunities to get together and record commentary. I'll start baseball sliding into the level exits soon, I promise! :saddowns:

ladyboy pancake posted:

I'm so bummed. I almost bought this game for like ten dollars once but everyone I asked told me it sucked and I decided against it. I'm seriously regretting that now.

Whoa, sounds like someone needs to get some new friends. <:mad:>

It's okay, though. Just looking at Amazon right now you can get the game for only $5 if you're still interested!

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

ladyboy pancake posted:

One of my friends told me the exact same thing, which is why in the second and third videos I was making a lot of "Well maybe that can get annoying..." comments.
Thinking about it now, that guy was wrong, this game rocks, and Wario has never looked better. rear end and all, of course.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

It's time for World 4, in which Wario finally achieves his dream of becoming a fairy princess! :sparkles:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
If the Pied Piper was able to charm the rats away from the town before kidnapping the children and if the Pied Piper's Pupil is also a rat I think you guys just collected some kind of rat PUA.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This game does seem to jump back and forth between adorable and terrifying.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

If the Pied Piper was able to charm the rats away from the town before kidnapping the children and if the Pied Piper's Pupil is also a rat I think you guys just collected some kind of rat PUA.

"Look, I'm not like all the other rats" :bigtran:

Glazius posted:

This game does seem to jump back and forth between adorable and terrifying.

Really, any game with an anime Wario in it is going to constantly jump back and forward between being cute and being terrifying! :v:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

It's time for the second half of World 4! Do I expose myself as a Fake Geek Guy™ in this episode? There's only one way to find out!

The Treasury has also been updated!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This is a pretty fantastic LP to a game I rented but never completed or bought (to my everlasting shame :negative: ) Keep up the good work, I never got past where you are in this video- Rogers Canada had killer late fees.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Things that Wario and Wolverine have in common:
- They both have names that start with W.
- They both have a propensity for the yellow costumes.
- They both have wicked sick facial hair.
- They both appear in fighting games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They're both the best at what they do.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
I'd like to think that deep down Wario has a heart of solid gold, it's just that unless he's distracting himself with the conquest of collecting other valuables he'd be trying to rip it out so he can place it on his trophy shelf

The guy just hears the world "gold" and nothing can stop him

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 3, 2014

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Ummmm, they have both had hats?

And they are both basically indestructible/immortal?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
... You can get the coin bonus without flying your bucket dangerously close to the rotating spike arms? Goddamn it.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

JordanKai Ep.8 - 18:57 posted:

You wouldn't be able to do these phases correctly... like just off of reaction. You pretty much have to know what's gonna happen, if you don't want to get hurt.

You started this LP on June 20th, 2014 and posted this video on August 2nd, 2014. That means I can safely assume you've been playing video games for about two weeks in your entire life.

Allow me to give you some ProtipsTM from a veteran video gamer such as myself:

Protip posted:

If a boss can push or pull you, he will, at some point in the fight, try to push or pull you into a wall that will hurt you. If there are no walls available, the boss will make some before pushing or pulling you.

Sneaky bosses may push and pull you in rapid succession, in an attempt to trick you into running into a wall. If this proves too much of a challenge, call your older brother so that he can beat the boss for you.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Actually now that I think of it. You're supposed to grab the floor to not go backwards right? What's stopping you from doing that when "poo poo gets real" and he tries to push and pull you towards the spikey roots?

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.
Wario actually does have something of an origin story! It came in the form of the Super Mario Adventures comic that ran in Nintendo Power in the early 90's. The tl;dr version is that Mario is Wario's cousin and was a bully to Wario as a kid, and Wario is bitter about it. That's it. That's the whole story.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zain posted:

Actually now that I think of it. You're supposed to grab the floor to not go backwards right? What's stopping you from doing that when "poo poo gets real" and he tries to push and pull you towards the spikey roots?

If you're not hanging onto a guy, nothing. But if you don't grab a mook they'll all blow into the vines and die so you can't hit him.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zain posted:

You have to hold onto a Bandenero during that section, so I'm guessing you can't grab the ground.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

BearJazz posted:

Wario actually does have something of an origin story! It came in the form of the Super Mario Adventures comic that ran in Nintendo Power in the early 90's. The tl;dr version is that Mario is Wario's cousin and was a bully to Wario as a kid, and Wario is bitter about it. That's it. That's the whole story.

Wario's story is that he is a nigh-invincible (because he's a bad guy) negaMario who is obsessed with gold and garlic instead of princesses. Waluigi is Wario's hypercompetent but incredibly stupid sidekick whose plans are constantly ruined by Wario's stupidity.

No more story is neccessary; this is the goddamn Mushroom Kingdom poo poo don't need an explanation it just is.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Neruz posted:

No more story is neccessary; this is the goddamn Mushroom Kingdom poo poo don't need an explanation it just is.

Check the Super Mario 3D World LP thread for detailed discussions of the Mario timeline.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Bruceski posted:

They're both the best at what they do.

What they both do isn't pretty.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You have to hold onto a Bandenero during that section, so I'm guessing you can't grab the ground.

Oh yeah! Completely forgot about that part.

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.

Neruz posted:

Wario's story is that he is a nigh-invincible (because he's a bad guy) negaMario who is obsessed with gold and garlic instead of princesses. Waluigi is Wario's hypercompetent but incredibly stupid sidekick whose plans are constantly ruined by Wario's stupidity.

I'm not saying that it's necessary. I'm just saying that somebody actually thought of this and made a comic out of it, because they felt that, for some reason, Wario's story was not only one that needed to exist, but needed to be told.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

COOL FACTS TIME: The boss of World 4 is only called Scumflower in the PAL version of the game. In every other version he is called Bloomsday instead. This change was made because Bloomsday is also the name of an Irish holiday. Nintendo of Europe didn't want to associate an enemy with something so nice! :eng101:

BearJazz posted:

Wait a minute that's Snape's backstory from Harry Potter

RickDaedalus posted:

You started this LP on June 20th, 2014 and posted this video on August 2nd, 2014. That means I can safely assume you've been playing video games for about two weeks in your entire life.

Allow me to give you some ProtipsTM from a veteran video gamer such as myself:

My siblings are all bad at video games. :saddowns:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

In Wario's case it was Mario acting out of ignorance rather than actually being a jerk.

The full strip is at http://www.superluigibros.com/mario-vs-wario-comic-issue-1, as well as the second issue.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah, Wario the coin thing was completely your fault. Everything else might have some legitimacy to it but that coin stuff is totally on you.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
That last part of the Bloomsday/Scumflower boss gave me so much trouble. I'm really bad at judging when he's going to change the wind direction.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Like Wolverine, Wario only has three months to live. Unlike Wolverine, it's because of his cholesterol.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

Like Wolverine, Wario only has three months to live. Unlike Wolverine, it's because of his cholesterol.

Oh jeez, with that kind of timeframe I might have to speed up to the update schedule! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Oh jeez, with that kind of timeframe I might have to speed up to the update schedule! :ohdear:

Or you could just do it because you love us and want to see us happy and this LP is making many of us happy...

• Locked thread