Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Hello and welcome to today's Match Day Thread of the glorious 2014 World Cup in Brazil. After the death of tiki-taka a couple of days ago, plucky underdogs Costa Rica made sure yesterday that It Is, in fact, Not Coming Home. Will we see another upset today in the form of tournament favorites Argentina and/or Germany losing?

No we won't.

Today features matches from groups F and G:

THE MATCHES

Argentina deservedly won their first match against Bosnia, although it was a close affair at the end due to Vedad Ibisevic's late goal. Lionel Messi and his team mates shouldn't have too much trouble against Iran, but you never know. Should they win, they're guaranteed to advance to the round of 16. A loss wouldn't be the end of the world for Iran, but it would put them in a tight spot before their final match against Bosnia.

Germany, who are Cool and Good, embarassed beta pussy bitch Cristiano Ronaldo and the other Portugese garbagemen in their first match, with Thomas Müller scoring 3 of the 4 goals. A win today would all but ensure them a spot in the next round. However, they will probably have to do without Mats Hummels, who picked up an injury in the first match. Ghana's backs are against the wall after they lost their first match against Jozy Altidore and the USMNNMNMNNMNNMNNT. Can they get a result against Germany if they couldn't even beat a team of lovely MLS failures? Probably not.

In today's final match, Bosnia (who are Serbia) will want to get a win against Nigeria, relying on goals from TRP favorite Edin Dzeko to do so. I can't think of anything else to say about this match because really, who's even gonna watch it?

Dunban fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Tis a sad day for UEFA when Germany loses to Ghana.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Argentina should have absolutely no problem against Iran but I'm sure the match will be actually harder than they expect, mostly because they probably think the Iranians will move aside and let Messi score all the goals. But we know that's not the Iranian way.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
barely been able to catch any of the games this week so quite happy to see some decent teams today

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I wonder what I'm going to post about?

Argentina x Iran
Ref: Milorad MAZIC (SRB)
AR1: Milovan RISTIC (SRB)
AR2: Dalibor DJURDJEVIC (SRB)
4th: Norbert HAUATA (SRB)
RAR: Marwa RANGE (KEN)

Mazic was excellent in Germany x Portugal and has been rewarded with a second match. Will the Serbian send another player off? Well, if someone does a headbutt, we know the answer is yes.

Germany x Ghana
Ref: Sandro RICCI (BRA)
AR1: Emerson DE CARVALHO (BRA)
AR2: Macelo VAN GASEE (BRA)
4th: Victor CARRILLO (PER)
RAR: Rodney AQUINO (PAR)

The Brazilian had France x Honduras as his first match, which, honestly, wasn't much of a test. This one might be better. Or Germany might also win 3-0. Hard to tell sometimes.

Nigeria x Bosnia Herzegovina
Ref: Peter O'LEARY (NZL)
AR1: Jan Hendrik HINTZ (NZL)
AR2: Mark RULE (NZL)
4th: Roberto MORENO (PAN)
RAR: Eric BORIA (USA)

Peter O'Leary makes his 2014 World Cup debut. I was asked about Australian refs and while O'Leary isn't an Aussie himself, I think he works the A-League, too. If you watch the Club World Cup (lol) you might recognize him as he was there in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2012.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

nice thread icon

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Ich bin gehyped.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Looking forward to the Car Wash Cup tonight between Nigeria and Bosnia. Should be a good clean game with polished finishing.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Katana Gomai posted:

nice thread icon

Yeah, I remembered it just when I hit reply. Can't edit it now.

I will, obviously, never recover from this.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Dunban posted:

Yeah, I remembered it just when I hit reply. Can't edit it now.

I will, obviously, never recover from this.

:siren: mods please change the thread icon to , tia

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
World Cup Mod here. I'll think about it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
What the hell happened in France vs Switzerland

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

I'm ready op

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

What the hell happened in France vs Switzerland

Switzerland were bad

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Looking forward to Germany versus Ghana. While the rest of Europe cried about weird South American weather the Germans used their multi-million dollar BR training facility to walk all over fat garbagemen Portugal, meanwhile Ghana already lost a game to the American Dream (of going out in the RO16) but so far have never been knocked out in a WC group stage, something's gotta give.

The other matches are going to suck though, Iran and Nigeria teamed up to give us the second and third goalless halves of this WC and now they're going to inflict their boring football on the rest of the group. The 1st-ranked Asian team probably has too much about them for Argentina to bounce one in off a defender and call it a Messi goal, meanwhile BIH has pluck but probably will need more than 90 minutes to find a way to get the ball past a giant wall of Nigerians. They will at least get a point, meanwhile an hour and a half of our lives is gone forever.

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
i would like to point out that MY GIRLFRIEND is extremely prejudiced against argentines and she claims most brazilians (she's brazilian :smug:) hate their guts

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

quiet enjoyment posted:

i would like to point out that MY GIRLFRIEND is extremely prejudiced against argentines and she claims most brazilians (she's brazilian :smug:) hate their guts

post pics

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

quiet enjoyment posted:

doesn't everyone feel the same about Argentinians?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

quiet enjoyment posted:

buy her an argentina cake and make her mash it up with her bottom, thats what all brazilians do right

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

TelekineticBear! posted:

Everyone in South America hate Argentinians because they think they are better than the rest of the continent, though they eased on that since their country went bankrupt a few years ago.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

El Hefe posted:

Everyone in South America hate Argentinians because they think they are better than the rest of the continent, though they eased on that since their country went bankrupt a few years ago.

The Falklands are also British

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

El Hefe posted:

their collective dream is literally a few lovely rocky islands, and it will never be theirs.

JuancitoEfectivo
Sep 3, 2011
inglaterra perdio en la primera ronda.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

TelekineticBear! posted:

Pretty much. gently caress Argentina.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Carlos Queiroz is coaching Iran so be ready for Iran to be utterly humiliated.

Saoritficis
Apr 23, 2008
Finally Germany plays again! Here's to another 4-0!

Fiona Cake
Jun 12, 2014

quiet enjoyment posted:

Hey now, dear... I don't hate Argentinians, I just strongly believe they should all die.
That's not hate, that's being practical. ^_^

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Quality op, op. Looking forward to seeing two utterly humiliating games in which Lionel Messi and Thomas Muller each score 18 goals, and then going to bed.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I'm hoping that the glorious might of Iran sees that striker of theirs score a goal. The guy with the name I can't pronounce, spell or remember

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I think Germany and the Argies will put three easy goals in and settle down to some making triangles form and vanish before our eyes.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
just remembered that i still have my 2010 WC sig

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Smeef posted:

just remembered that i still have my 2010 WC sig

thats a good sig

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why is Bosnia and Herzegovina BIH?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Vegetable posted:

Why is Bosnia and Herzegovina BIH?

BosnIa and Herzegovina

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

alternate post: stfu BIČH

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

serious post im pretty sure its because 'and' in serbian is 'i'

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The only game today I'm excited about is Germany Ghana, but it will probably be a drubbing. I hope Bosnia win but Dzeko needs to step up.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
i want bih to win but i dunno about nigeria, bih will probably look to score unlike iran which stayed behind the ball the entire time

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bogan Krkic posted:

serious post im pretty sure its because 'and' in serbian is 'i'
thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

i want bih to win but i dunno about nigeria, bih will probably look to score unlike iran which stayed behind the ball the entire time

its pretty safe to say that Iran will play shiit anyway

• Locked thread