Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Thank god the actual good team won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

MrXmas posted:

I hate how loving around with (usually fake) injuries and subbing during stoppage time is so effective. Refs never add enough extra time on top for delays during stoppage. A good 1.5 to 2 minutes wasted during stoppage time in this game, but the ref only adds 30 seconds on top of the original 4 minutes. Same happened in the England game.

Not like Iran was going to get the ball back since Argentina no longer had to attack, but still.

Iran wouldve needed more than that I think.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Forgive me for asking. Why the hate for Messi?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Sandwolf posted:

imo he represents everything worse with modern football, the tiki-taka bullshit, he's riddled with all sorts of "performance-enhancing" poo poo, he's pretty much a surrogate Catalonian

From the wikipedia on tiki-taka: "Tiki-taka is associated with flair, creativity, and touch,[24] but can also be taken to a "slow, directionless extreme" that sacrifices effectiveness for aesthetics.[22]"

These attributes seem like they would make for a more interesting game - and certainly, I found Argentina's play to be entertaining.

As for the doping thing, Messi has GHD and internet sources seem to agree that he is no longer taking human growth hormone. Given that it was for a legitimate disease, I cannot personally hold it against him without further evidence.

Obviously this does not excuse the rest of Barca.

If I should take this discussion to the newbie thread, I would do so happily. However, that thread seems like a joke and i know enough about football that I don't feel quite at home there.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Excuse me. I do not believe I said anything worthy of ridicule. I am simply talking about football in a football thread.

I am not in the newbie thread because I know the rules and such of football, I am not a "why is there no quarterback, it is very boring when there are not over 100 points made" typical American. I have casually enjoyed international football since 2009, although i have not kept up and studied it as thoroughly some of you seem to have done.

Thank you for the recommendations. I will not be posting in the newbie thread as of yet, but some of the posts in it are very worth reading, and I am immensely enjoying tbp's post about tiki taka. I can now understand why some of you are not very fond of it.

Lastly, go Germany!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Ghana has some kicking rad hairstyles.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

not not luvd posted:

are you trolling or 'special'

I am quite special, but not "special".

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Plucky little Ghana.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

[2]No citation needed!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Every time I see USMNT I think United States Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Whoa

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Kloϟe mit unϟ

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Sandwolf posted:

hmm what does this mean?

Maybe one of our Fatherland posters can translate?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Soulex posted:

It means you are a bad poster

Kloϟe mit unϟ

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Something something black culture bill cosby

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Shala posted:

Playin in the south.

No saggin.

It is literally illegal to sag.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

http://www.wwltv.com/news/lafourche-terrebonne/Terrebonne-Council-outlaws-saggy-pants-202520221.html

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Gyre posted:

This is the first world cup I've actually paid attention to and I can say without a doubt I should've watched earlier.

They aren't always this interesting.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
That throw.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

cheese posted:

Ughhh US is hosed if this stands

POTM

Isn't it best for them to draw?

Ah, someone answered a few posts up.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

croutonZA posted:

I'd just like to say that these are two teams that are a lot of fun to watch and they've put on a very enjoyable game of foot.

I concur.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

:siren: Germany collapsed like the Jews in the Hillsborough Gas Chambers

Classy.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I'm enjoying this game, but it may be the case of (surprisingly decent) Miller Fortune that I am in the midst of consuming.

Edit: Changed "middle" to "midst".

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
This is much less exciting than the last game but I am enjoying this case of Miller Fortune. It is less disgusting than I assumed it would be. I think they are trying to compete with the rapidly growing craft beer industry.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I tried to root for Bosnia, I really did, but in the end it turned out to be a crime against football

That is racist.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

I also enjoyed that pun.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Troy Queef posted:

Well that sucked, but I got a lot of free beer and food out of it.

Bosnians are generally really cool people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

mynameisjohn posted:

why do you say generally

Because I don't know all Bosnians.

• Locked thread