Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
goats are the best animal
you gain brouzouf
bullshit! ultra-failed attack
goku
i don't have a fourth option but i'm too lazy to change it to less options so click this one too if you want to but i don't care either way. i just refuse to ever make a thread that doesn't have a poll in it. well, have a nice day
View Results

• Locked thread
rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Just finished New Eden. I haven't spent any brouzouf yet. What's a good way to go for a beginner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

rocket_man38 posted:

Just finished New Eden. I haven't spent any brouzouf yet. What's a good way to go for a beginner?

anything besides stuff thats mental-balance-related. the game expects you to grind a little to get anywhere with money in the first place (well actually it expects you to play through 3 times for multiple endings) so just do whatever you please.

the guns are good, the melees are good, hacking is good, psy is good, many of the researches are good, its all good.

except for Mental Balance, because the only thing it determines is your Madness resistance, and almost nothing tries to apply madness to you, and you can fix madness using maintenance, and you eventually become completely immune to madness through research.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

bef posted:

who wants this game

Me. I want it.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Me. I want it.

PM me

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
does madness even do anything

i've had steam give me the achievements for all the madness things i think and i've never noticed a thing

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I hated not being able to control when I shoot and constantly jumping, actually. I also run too slowly but refuse to turn on sprint because I need my precious energy dammit.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
either I had a mild case, I have a bad memory, or I'm already so goddamn much of a spaz I didn't notice

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Hog Butcher posted:

does madness even do anything

i've had steam give me the achievements for all the madness things i think and i've never noticed a thing

theres multiple madnesses that range from doing almost nothing to locking you in place or making you act weird

also i think u might get the cheevos even if you resist the insanity? maybe?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
depends on the thing, none of it matters because the moment you get it you hit v and everything's better

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ya but then your MH is low and every time you get hit you go insane again

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
maybe if yr a scrub.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Ya but then your MH is low and every time you get hit you go insane again

if it really does bug you then you still oughta rush the research that makes you immune to it rather than waste stat points in something that'll become irrelevant

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

don't play this game like deus ex

don't make a sniper / stealth character

the alt fire mode on the smg empties the 100 round mag in 2 seconds

please play e.y.e.

I made a sniper / stealth character.

By which I mean I run around invisible and hit dudes with a sword so hard they explode into organs and limbs when I'm not shooting down helicopters with an anti-tank revovler.

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I hated not being able to control when I shoot and constantly jumping, actually. I also run too slowly but refuse to turn on sprint because I need my precious energy dammit.

Crouching almost doubles energy regen.

On a serious note for new players, the Motra SMG is a sort of jack-of-all trades weapon that can perform well in any situation. Except the situations where you should really be using the Bear Killer or PSI powers. (Cyberdemons, Attack Helos, Shielded Enemies). I'd recommend sticking with it till you find something that suits you better.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 27, 2014

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
The shotgun is an excellent starting weapon, too. Moreso if you're not incredibly concerned with going super fast

Addendum- that reminds me of the lovely Sonic the Hedgehog map I was working on had given up on before valve busted the fuckin SDK. I had textures and everything, but couldn't manage to import the Sonic Generations prop models. I lead a sad existence

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
started this last night

after reaching the first armory station i turned away from the objective marker and broke my way into a vent which dropped into an endless sewer tunnel i never found the end of after 20 minutes

good poo poo, op

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

it's great that there's an achievement for driving him to suicide

i always drive him to suicide because its hilariously dickish

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Mung Dynasty posted:

started this last night

after reaching the first armory station i turned away from the objective marker and broke my way into a vent which dropped into an endless sewer tunnel i never found the end of after 20 minutes

good poo poo, op

If that's where I'm thinking of, there's a ladder up

edit: wait, that's after you crawl through the pipe for 20 minutes and drop down somewhere

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

fronz posted:

maybe if yr a scrub.

Like u!!! Bitch I'll convert you into health if you speak to me like this again.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

if it really does bug you then you still oughta rush the research that makes you immune to it rather than waste stat points in something that'll become irrelevant

I know but on the level where you betray the bandits I went insane like 4 times. The trick is to draw your katana...

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

its the only french game i can think of with any merit, and even then its constantly at risk of crashing or breaking

Arkane is a French dev and they made some cool poo poo

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

i learned all my friends were bitchmade retards when i bought them all this and they stopped playing it after 30 minutes

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

also the armor piercing rifle is loving insane, get it asap

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Like half the guns in the game are "Wall piercing" too. I haven't made much use of it but I imagine with the sound triangulator you could pretend you're predator or something.

Also the nuke cannon is wonderful for all the right reasons. Like how easy it is to kill yourself.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 28, 2014

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Concordat posted:

Like half the guns in the game are "Wall piercing" too. I haven't made much use of it but I imagine with the sound triangulator you could pretend you're predator or something.

Also the nuke cannon is wonderful for all the right reasons. Like how easy it is to kill yourself.

When/how do you get the nuke canon?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can I still farm helicopters with a revolver?

holy poo poo

Concordat posted:

By which I mean I run around invisible and hit dudes with a sword so hard they explode into organs and limbs when I'm not shooting down helicopters with an anti-tank revovler.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I've been enjoying this, but I'm having a little trouble. The UI's tiny, and hard to understand. I died on my last life after overdosing on the medical syringe because I wasn't sure if it was actually increasing my health. There's a little picture of a goblin in the corner and I think maybe health corresponds to how sad the goblin is?

good game tho

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Crewmine posted:

I've been enjoying this, but I'm having a little trouble. The UI's tiny, and hard to understand. I died on my last life after overdosing on the medical syringe because I wasn't sure if it was actually increasing my health. There's a little picture of a goblin in the corner and I think maybe health corresponds to how sad the goblin is?

good game tho

you're using the freakiest UI. check yr options if you want it less freaky

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Crewmine posted:

good game tho

you can make other stuff overdose on the medical syringe too. i managed to OD a machine gun turret so it's some potent poo poo. never use it when it's below 20 charge

some dude in the Games thread hs been trying to take down bigger game using the strongest of weapons, the medkit

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
One time in co-op a dickhead friend of mine kept using it on friendly NPCs, so we couldn't finish anything, ever. I turned on friendly fire and Owned Him Repeatedly. It was very good, thank you console commands

e: here's all that's left of that custom map, more or less all that got finished. a lone scrab with a goofy name that didn't actually work when spoken to.

There were a couple ramps and jumps and poo poo but yeah that was it

Schnedwob fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 28, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

Hog Butcher posted:

you can make other stuff overdose on the medical syringe too. i managed to OD a machine gun turret so it's some potent poo poo. never use it when it's below 20 charge

some dude in the Games thread hs been trying to take down bigger game using the strongest of weapons, the medkit

:eyepop:

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
ok changing the UI cleared up a lot of poo poo for me, now I can focus on firing the shotgat and buying stronger jumping legs

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

If you want to use the funky UI, there is a small circular green meter underneath the goblin which means your health, and the grey vertical meter means your stamina. Fully grey means its full and white means emtpy. The melted-ness of the goblin is another way to tell your health; it is bad to melt.

if the goblin's halo crown glows yellow, you are not ill or insane, but if the halo turns an odd color like Red, you have an ailment that needs Maintenance.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

How did I miss medical syringes? gently caress I'm terrible at this game.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

rocket_man38 posted:

How did I miss medical syringes? gently caress I'm terrible at this game.

Well, you need to buy and unlock them first.

Also, they are weirdly heavy, and not very good compared to using the psychic spell where you eat ammo to turn it into health unless you're in a level where nothing drops ammo.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This game is so pcgaming.exe it hurts. How do you unlock new weapons? Well just spend 2D4H and some thousand bros on running research on corpses or cyber rev to unlock tech research then do that and buy the item from a store also maybe? Also 2d doesn't mean two days. I don't know what it means. Sometimes you fall down a hole and end up in an endless labyrinth under the city for hours. Why are there giant cyber demons? Who knows. Divine cybermancy.

What's the optimal pro strat for hacking stuff. I keep getting murder by vindictive atms

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I have no idea what the hell the research time is, I usually just click research on things and ignore it taking 7d or w/e

Optimal strat for hacking is to talk all of something's attack away and it'll either constantly use Overflow or the attack up, so you keep draining its attack

alternate attack drain and overflow until you can kill it in 2-3 shots and then nuke it

the endless labryinth thing is really irritating unless you're specifically trying to use them. the ladders need glowy tape or something, divine cyberOSHA is gonna be pissed if they see the conditions down ther

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yes D stands for days. It's "in-world" time

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
what's the ratio of ingame days to hours or minutes, though

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
in game hour = real world minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What's the optimal pro strat for hacking stuff. I keep getting murder by vindictive atms

lots and lots of hack tips:

The higher your hacking stat, the faster your bar moves when you activate a hack. its hard to beat anything if your bar moves slower (but still possible), but you wont know that in advance besides by estimating by their stats compared to yours. You can close out of the window and suffer no bad effects if you think you're gonna lose.

you can reroll the starting stats in the hacking menu: keep clicking off and onto the thing you want to hack until you have an okay advantage or not too bad of a disadvantage. if their stats are consistently much better than yours, then they probably have a much better hack skill than you and are probably not worth attacking.

NEVER use scan, the one that lowers enemy defense. If you want to lower their defense, use Mask, and then start attacking when they Overflow; you can usually get two attacks in on their lowered defense before they can mask you or use shield. Mask them again, rinse, repeat; unless their bar is a good deal faster than yours, you can often win safely without ever giving them a safe opportunity to attack you.

Unless the enemy is already down to double-digit health, ALWAYS try to have more attack than they have defense, and try to accomplish this by masking them to force overflows instead of overflowing yourself (unless you're at 0 def already, then overflowing is free). A slower but still functional alternate strategy is to ALWAYS try to have more defense than they have attack; the enemy ai will never attack you if their attack power is effectively negative, even though doing that can still deal damage.

Good opening moves are generally Overflow, Mask, or sometimes Shield if you dont mind the battle taking longer. Usually overflow. If the enemy starts with Overflow at the same time you do, start attacking immediately until they shield or mask, then start Masking them if they lower your shield too much.

If you're at a significant health advantage but having your other stats burned, try to reduce the enemy to 0atk/0def using Mask. When both of you zero out, you can win the race to overclock->kill unless your bar is much slower. Overflowing costs nothing but time when your defense is 0, and provides the same attack bonus.

Having "negative" attack (their defense is higher than your offense) still does damage, and can even do more damage than having a slight attack advantage! For example, if you're at 75 atk versus 72 def, you're gonna do around 3 damage per attack generally, plus or minus a bit for random rolls. But if your attack is 0 and their defense is Anything, you can deal anywhere in the vague range of 1-20ish, which can be effective for quickly finishing off an enemy's last bits of health, or for safely whittling them down slowly if you have a massive defense lead but a drained attack.

You can change the hack you're using at any time, but it will reset the bar. Try to click the next hack (even if it's the same thing as last time) as soon as your bar hits full and takes effect for the best speed. If you end up getting a very slow bar (rare but possible) then reset it by clicking - the enemy will never try to reset their Slow Bar, allowing you 4 or 5 free moves and basically a free win if it happens.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 28, 2014

• Locked thread