Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yudo posted:

Why is "Viking god" billionaire and his progeny still working a bumblefuck dive shithole that assuredly smells of urine?

Shreveport is the culture capital of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Cojawfee posted:

She was a major plot point for this lovely season.

Right but it was the SERIES finale and I think it probably would have been better to deal with her a little earlier and save the penultimate scene for something a little more poignant, but I dunno I'm an ACTUAL IDIOT

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

She was a major plot point for this lovely season.

Wait, there was a plot for this season? Are you sure?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Alcide's death meant nothing lol.

I loved that she was still driving around in his loving truck. :v:

Capn Beeb posted:

IT'S GOT WHAT VAMPS CRAVE

Except Warlow is actually now Harley Stone from Split Second

The coolest faerie grandpa around :c00l:

Niall, Warlow was the bad guy. :ssh: Otherwise I support this.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Acinonyx posted:

Wait, there was a plot for this season? Are you sure?

Actually this is a legitimate question. If someone were to ask you what the plot of this season was, what would it be? Like, the cure is something that comes to mind, but no one outside Pam and Eric seemed to give a poo poo about it. Other than that I have no clue. It was just a bunch of unimportant crap with a couple individual good scenes.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Sarah was a major plot point of last season. This season she was just a MacGuffin.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bill died. Gay Vampire American Steve Newlin lives forever. An acceptable finale.

Even Pam and Eric couldn't salvage this horrible season.

e: I'm glad they didn't try to end on Bill's death. I'll take goofy fanfic over pretending Bill was a character worth mourning.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
I always wonder with bad tv like this if the creators are aware of how terrible their poo poo is. Or did they finish writing this episode thinking: "Geez, people are gonna love this finale".????

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PaulDirac posted:

I always wonder with bad tv like this if the creators are aware of how terrible their poo poo is. Or did they finish writing this episode thinking: "Geez, people are gonna love this finale".????

They must be aware enough to change the original Bill becomes human ending. Not that we know that existed for sure, but the hints all seem to be there.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

PaulDirac posted:

I think they've openly skirted around "okay we have (had) no clue what we're doing, which is why the show's ending this season". Ball's departure was this show's death knell. If he wouldn't have left, this season would've rocked. I have a strong suspicion based on the events of S3-5 that he was trying to lead up to some fairy/human vs vampire war with Sookie at the center with her fairy royalty thing but the writers scrapped that for some unknown reason. I guess that would've been too much fun for them.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
nm

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
How did Eric survive roasting on fire in the middle of the alps or whatever? They gonna solve that one in a webisode or something?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
The very briefly tossed that mystery aside with some one liner about how he just buried himself in the snow.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

PaulDirac posted:

They are thinking "wow I love getting this check for working a half hour blazed" as they rip another binger and get back to pounding out their all important memoirs/great American novel.

I'm cynical...or perhaps just disappointed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Eric also mentioned that he caused an avalanche or something as well.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Except Warlow is actually now Harley Stone from Split Second

The coolest faerie grandpa around :c00l:

I tried to come up with a fitting ending for Niall but I can't do grandpa justice. Something about being pissed off at losing Sookie and faerie-baking an entire nation of dwarves in response.

I'd watch a show about faerie king Rutger Hauer blowing up dwarves, eating spaghetti, and trolling his descendants at critical moments in their lives.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Rocco posted:

How did Eric survive roasting on fire in the middle of the alps or whatever? They gonna solve that one in a webisode or something?

This show had a very stupid way of handling sunlight, almost as bad as Angel with their "Oh, I'm not in direct sunlight" middle of the day shooting. This entire season they just went "gently caress it, Vampires can be awake and fine during the day, because we have no way to make people keep waiting until night to do poo poo".

But Eric did cause an avalanche and hid under some snow or rocks or maybe a really nice asian cowboy blocked all the sun with his comically large hat.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
I see your dancing eric gifs and raise you: https://vine.co/v/MlZrBwxtHrW

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
I wish to God that writers / producers had to attend some sort of, "How to End A Show," class of some sort so we could hopefully not get this sort of crap at the end of it all.

Get bent all you hacks.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
There were so many missed opportunities this season. The major cliff hanger from last season was Eric and they never bothered to explain what happened or how he lived. Not even a hint of what happened, like a random news flash during Bill's TV interview that an entire Swedish town had gone missing during a freak avalanche.

There were good moments from this season. Unfortunately all of them combined together comes out to about 90 minutes total. I didn't mind Hoyt coming back because I like him. But the marriage thing was way too long and ridiculous.

It's a shame they never used Possum Kingdom during any of the episodes.

True Blood's entire Facebook page is filled with pissed off people. At least HBO isn't removing comments. They have a really lovely auction up for True Blood set props, none of which are particularly interesting. They have shot glasses and things that if you put them with your regular dishes you'd probably forget which one you paid $100 for and which ones came from Bed Bath & Beyond.

I'm not sure what's worse
- having a real finale but one that's so poorly written as to make you wish they'd just gotten canceled after last season
- having a good show canceled out of nowhere, knowing the best was yet to come (Carnivale)

I've been meaning to re-watch Carnivale and Rome...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dammit_Carl! posted:

I wish to God that writers / producers had to attend some sort of, "How to End A Show," class of some sort so we could hopefully not get this sort of crap at the end of it all.

Get bent all you hacks.

While the writers definitely deserve blame here, I think it probably doesn't help that HBO dragged this show out until everyone had run out of ideas and only cancelled it because "Welp it's not making money and we need the slot."

I know the idea gets beaten to death around here but I feel like it's a lot easier to end on a good note when you have a clear cut beginning, middle and end or at least when you still have enough ideas to make a coherent plot. With most of the series I've seen that have terrible final seasons, you can usually look back and pinpoint when the show probably should have ended because the good storylines were done.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Did anyone find the Hoyt and Jessica thing disturbing on some level? "Things were so bad that you begged me to wipe your memory, but now that I'm a stranger to you let's get back together!" I don't know...shouldn't that have been a red flag for Hoyt, instead of just going along with it?

gently caress it, I'm thinking too hard about this show, aren't I?

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
^^^^^^^

Yes you are. But you could also see it as Jessica having gained more experience and maturity since they split up.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Hemp Knight posted:

^^^^^^^

Yes you are. But you could also see it as Jessica having gained more experience and maturity since they split up.

True, but it's still kind of creepy. True she told him about some of the bad stuff in broad strokes, but unless a lot of stuff came out offscreen Jessica is basically taking advantage of his amnesia. It doesn't really matter how mature you are if you're like "Oh I erased your memory, clean slate for me!"

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Taught by Shawn Ryan.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

This season is compelte garbage and the finale managed to disappoint in astounding fashion despite my hideiously low expectations going in, so bravo. Not a second of that episode that didn't involve Eric and Pam was worthwhile and I am stoked that this show is now out of its misery. They should have stopped after 5 seasons.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best part of this entire show was seeing Bill Compton finally die. He has been an emo idiot from the first season and has had it coming this entire time. A stupid poorly written graveyard death scene is exactly what he deserved. I am glad his final wish of most of his blood making it into his coffin was fulfilled.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

While the writers definitely deserve blame here, I think it probably doesn't help that HBO dragged this show out until everyone had run out of ideas and only cancelled it because "Welp it's not making money and we need the slot."

The problem with this is they had the whole world of urban fantasy to draw from, and we got Yakuza a wedding episode. There's plenty they could have done that would have been better than what we got. Even falling back on the good old random ancient vampire would have been better than what we got.

I would have been happy with 'so bad it's good'. Hell, I would have been happy with 'so bad it's bad'. But this? This was just a boring mess. Even Eric and Pam's storyline was complete poo poo, saved only by the virtue of them actually being Eric and Pam.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

So how is Bon Temps continuing to function? Isn't like, everybody but the main cast dead? Or grew a brain and split town?

Theres gotta be like, 15 people in town max

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

The problem with this is they had the whole world of urban fantasy to draw from, and we got Yakuza a wedding episode. There's plenty they could have done that would have been better than what we got. Even falling back on the good old random ancient vampire would have been better than what we got.

I would have been happy with 'so bad it's good'. Hell, I would have been happy with 'so bad it's bad'. But this? This was just a boring mess. Even Eric and Pam's storyline was complete poo poo, saved only by the virtue of them actually being Eric and Pam.

That's true, but I feel like the whole season has been a complete muddled mess and this was just the end result of that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Duggler posted:

So how is Bon Temps continuing to function? Isn't like, everybody but the main cast dead? Or grew a brain and split town?

Theres gotta be like, 15 people in town max

The final shot could've been redeemed a little bit if they panned over from the sappy, vasoline-lensed Happy Ending Dinner to reveal a gigantic mass grave right in Sookie's back yard where all of the other hundreds of people from the town were dumped.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

At least we could have gotten a snap back to when Sookie and Bill first met, and Arlene or something serving him instead therefore not setting off this whole long bullshit affair.

So you see, it was all just a bad dream

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Kazanir posted:

I tried to come up with a fitting ending for Niall but I can't do grandpa justice. Something about being pissed off at losing Sookie and faerie-baking an entire nation of dwarves in response.

I'd watch a show about faerie king Rutger Hauer blowing up dwarves, eating spaghetti, and trolling his descendants at critical moments in their lives.

Faerie with a shotgun.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I recently started getting Entertainment Weekly and now I have to see if I still have the True Blood issue to laugh at.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I am going to rewatch the series and see if I can pick out who the beard guy actually is

See you in a month!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The Duggler posted:

I am going to rewatch the series and see if I can pick out who the beard guy actually is

See you in a month!

I really don't think beard guy is anyone that's been on the show before, otherwise some super-fan or reviewer would have said something by now. It's pretty much universally been "Who the gently caress was that random dude?"

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

It's human Bill. They just chickened out on actually showing him because of the backlash against the story leak.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hemp Knight posted:

^^^^^^^

2 days earlier she broke up with her boyfriend of almost a year because he cheated on her because she was ignoring him/shutting him out. Later that night she slept with Jason himself was in a year long relationship thus continuing the circle of cheating, this is not a person who is ready for marriage.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
I feel like I read somewhere that the bearded guy was actually a stunt man on the show. But that might be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Nichael posted:

Shreveport is the culture capital of the world.

Once in Shreveport I asked two girls for directions to a club called Chicago. Their response was, "like the state?" :downs:

Yes Shreveport is truly a magical city.

• Locked thread