Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I can understand people being upset that they don't touch on the central mystery of "what happened," but I think if they ever attempt to explain it, the show will have jumped the shark. I am more upset with all of the other, more mundane, mysteries that they set up and left hanging.

What did happen with Gladys? What are the ATFEC about and why are they burning cultists' bodies instead of investigating, as well as offering to go full-Waco on a moment's notice, what's with all the crazy animals, where's Waldo, where was Wayne, what are the non-GR cults doing, did the event solve the unemployment crises, and why is the mayor of New Bern giving away trucks?

The person who said the writers just threw everything at the wall to see what sticks hit the nail on the head. Some of this may have been answered in the books, but skimming wikipedia shows that they made pretty significant changes, so "read the book" seems like a lame answer for a tv series. Maybe I'm getting old. :bahgawd:

On the whole, I guess I liked it. I'll probably give the next season a try. But, personally, I'll be expecting a bit more. The show had some really great, intense scenes, but given where they went with it, it felt more like the show was being intense for the sake of "being intense," because this is HBO and we have to push boundaries. If there isn't a better payoff for getting invested, I doubt I'll stick around long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

fullroundaction posted:

The GR killed her to make her a martyr (source Patti says it, but also in the book (different character though))

You saw what happened when cults are allowed to operate unchecked, right?

"the writers just threw everything at the wall to see what sticks". LOST style bullshit that will go nowhere I'm sure

At a cult compound, then a dirty NYC apartment complex, then on the run -> dead in a bathroom

Recruiting and being weird. The shoeless ones that Garvey Jr runs into are basically hippies / hedonists / do what feels good, man (source: book)

I picked all of that up from watching, I just didn't feel like any of those explanations went far enough for my satisfaction. Patti, specifically, seems like an unreliable source in that conversation, especially given the outcome she wanted. It's just as likely that Garvey did it in one of his sleepwalks, in my mind.

It's not an attack on the show, I just feel that they could have fleshed a lot of these things out more, especially w/r/t the wider panoply of cults and the government's response via the ATFEC. They set this up all season, but just left it on the vine at the end...maybe they will address it next season?

In any event, I don't want them to explain everything (and definitely not the central mystery of the show), but making the show show go :iiam: for huge swathes of the plot that they can choose to explain but do not felt like lazy writing. The atmosphere and acting were all top notch, so building it all up to just have the book ending of them all standing stupidly on Garvey's front porch seems disingenuous. Especially since the town had gone all Baghdad-'n-poo poo and he's supposed to be the head of law enforcement for this backwater. Then again, the show was so drat bleak that maybe we needed that little bit of Hollywood-closure to entice us to come back for a second season.

• Locked thread