Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Sober posted:

Mom was basically all "well the Black Plague killed indiscriminately, but I will make sure civilization continues on because we have the foresight of something like the bubonic plague" and "well if you aren't important to society at least you can be fuel".
And all that because the plague "prolonged the middle ages for a hundred years" :shobon:

Even if it also "cured" a serious overpopulation problem europe had at the time (the land was farmed to the brink and still everybody who did not belong to the rich castes was probably continuously malnorished) and started a change in society by diminishing the power of the church (people saw that priests died or ran away from the sick just like everybody else and that divine intervention, well, wasnt) and by causing a move away from serfdom toward paid labor (after the plague was gone, people capable of doing work were at a premium, realized their power and started to demand pay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The Last Ship Season 2 : Fats cops stealing ships and bodies warming cities

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
As much as I put my rational brain on hold to watch shows like this and Falling Skies that state trooper taking over the ship is a bit much. I'll tune in for season two though, cause I'm a sucker.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
On the one hand a cop with a gun and friends scattered around the ship could take a destroyer (very small crew compliment). Consider the elite seal team 8 guys are off the boat. Your average Navy sailor (me being one of those sailors) has little to no combat training. The only stretch on that front is allowing them all aboard, in restricted spaces, with weapons.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

It's likely that the power plant is only supplying power to Comically Evil Mom's little compound and maybe some other key locations, not the entire city; why waste precious electricity on the poors? They could easily have access to enough coal to keep it running at a significantly reduced capacity for a long time.

It's also quite plausible that they are trucking the bodies off to be incinerated in the coal plant so as not to waste fuel burning them somewhere else, and that the captain is just a dumbass who doesn't know that you can't actually power a coal power plant using human bodies as fuel, which is what I suspect the writers' angle next season will be after enough people complain about how ridiculously dumb that notion is.

And yeah, the whole "let's allow a bunch of random armed civilians we just met to wander freely around our Navy destroyer" thing is really dumb. Sorry, Adam, but you're a terrible XO. :colbert:

Also, it seems likely that they're setting Titus Welliver's character up to be a good guy; the only "bad" things we've seen him do so far are shooting a sick woman who was about to infect him, plotting to assassinate a crazy dictator who is literally murdering sick people by the truckload, and planning to steal the cure from the Nathan James to keep it out of the hands of said crazy dictator. Hell, he didn't even shoot the guy who crashed a car full of infected people through his roadblock. We've yet to seen him murder one of his own men to make a point or monologue about his evil plans for world domination via plague-assisted eugenics, so the odds of him being a Bad Guy are looking pretty slim.

Edit: Oh yeah, and more evidence for "the captain is a dumbass" theory; besides the fact that he basically started a firefight with what was, as far as he knew at the time, a bunch of law enforcement officers working for the last remnants of a legitimate US government because they disagreed with his plan of "let's go charging into this giant building full of infected people that I know nothing about," his plan for escaping said building after the numerous and presumably well-armed security forces turn on him is to run out to a balcony above the loading dock and just stand out in the open in plain view for several minutes gaping at trucks full of bodies driving off while shouting into his radio loudly enough to be heard a mile away... :downs:

dennyk fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 26, 2014

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
how long till TEX fixes the situation

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
1 day, max... new season of 24: Tex Another Day

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I already deleted the episode from my dvr so I can't check, but I thought the cops pulled guns on the captain's crew, not the other way around. I remember thinking that it seemed like a pretty bad idea.

Serious question: how scalable is the output of a coal plant? I know that's a reason they're used for base-load power but for all I know they are very scalable but it takes days to adjust the coal fire.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cat Hatter posted:

I already deleted the episode from my dvr so I can't check, but I thought the cops pulled guns on the captain's crew, not the other way around. I remember thinking that it seemed like a pretty bad idea.

Serious question: how scalable is the output of a coal plant? I know that's a reason they're used for base-load power but for all I know they are very scalable but it takes days to adjust the coal fire.

Yeah, that's what happened. Cops pulled weapons, then the navy dudes, then cops fired first.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, that's what happened. Cops pulled weapons, then the navy dudes, then cops fired first.
I didn't think the navy dudes on the bridge got a change to pull weapons. If they had, cop woulda been dead after his first shot.

Unless you're talking about when the captain and his group split off to go to Olympia.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Actually, cops pulled weapons, then the navy dudes, but the navy fired first when one of the cops brought his gun up and it looked like he was going to fire.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

dennyk posted:

It's likely that the power plant is only supplying power to Comically Evil Mom's little compound and maybe some other key locations, not the entire city; why waste precious electricity on the poors? They could easily have access to enough coal to keep it running at a significantly reduced capacity for a long time.

Yeah - the mom said as much when she was introducing everyone to the compound, it has a direct line to the power plant or something.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Say what you want about this show but sometimes they do go against what happens in many action shows like 24. Seeing a Mexican stand off end that way is not really common.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Cat Hatter posted:

Believe me, I complain about the realism of this show constantly, but I could see a high ranking government official who has (seemingly) used a crisis to initiate a coup being capable of convincing an ethnic or, in this case, socioeconomic group that they are better than others and that this is their chance to rid themselves of the cause of all their problems. It also helps when you're appealing to scientists/police with "we can't afford to save everyone so why shouldn't we prioritize the smart, law abiding citizens".

Getting a huge team of Dr.s (not scientists because you would have to be a medical dr. to do allt he stuff that they are talking about) to poison the population with a fake vaccine just because some lady wants to cull the population and take over the government is not something I would even consider happening the the USA. Even in a post-apocalyptic USA.

It goes against the very nature of the medical profession on s many major levels it would literally stop the 'cultured few' from trusting shots of any kind ever. So now they all die from polio or small pox, or pneumonia, or literally not taking any kind of medication ever because it might be poison since that is a think that they do now. Furthermore, Dr.s are people and your conspiracy theory only holds up if people do the impossible, and keep a secret. Too many people would have to know or find out by shear fact of thousands of people being dead/never being seen again. Either by way of development or watching its implementation to keep the number of people who know to a level that someone doesn't blab. You literally can't keep that a secret from the general population. Someone would read a memo, over hear a conversation, outright tell a family with a little child who looks just like their dead child. It is impossible.

Next big plot hole. At what threshold do the police and dr.s kill off their family? Is it immediate family only? What about siblings and parents? What about cousins? Where do they start literally killing their friends and family members who were deemed unworthy? What about what jobs are the 'important jobs?' Is a National Guard member who is also a cashier an important job? What about if his Guard job is HAZMAT/CBRN related? What if the guy is retired and was an artist? Does he get to live? What about if it's a child who is too young to even start thinking about a job? Would you kill the child? Parents? or let them all live? What if they are a maintenance tech for medical equipment but not an actual dr. or nurse? What if they are a tech for some toher important thing? What if every veterinarian in the world survived because of a super secret veterinarian hand shake and you have 10,000 veterinarian. Do you save them all? Half? 1/3rd? Who picks? How do you pick? It wouldn't happen because someone with a gun would be ordered to kill their family/best friend and opt to kill 'Mom' instead. There would be a revolt within hours or minutes of 'Mom's' rule being announced. She might even be shot on the spot for saying it.

Lastly, solely because I don't want to make this post to overwhelming, who is going to grow crops, weld, build buildings, and generally do all the stuff that needs to be done in a specialized work profession society like the USA has? Dr.s and police don't know jack poo poo about planting and building a 3 story building or new science lab. Or even maintaining the equipment to build a 3 story building. The USA is a very, to a fault, specialized work culture. You can't cut out very many jobs until the infrastructure collapses. Kill miners, hope you have a good recycling program. Oh, you killed all the garbage workers and scrap workers. Well, there goes your recycling program. That sucks. Guess you have to learn how to do that stuff all over again and completely invalidate the entire premise of your 'kill the unwashed masses' because your plan is so loving stupid you should have been shot in the face for the sheer gall of wasting everyone's time by telling it to them.

That is why I think a coup like witch is described in The Last Ship would be impossible in the USA. And this is coming from someone who would be on the 'live' side of the equation.

prezbuluskey posted:

Say what you want about this show but sometimes they do go against what happens in many action shows like 24. Seeing a Mexican stand off end that way is not really common.

That is what I really liked about the standoff. Everyone expected the good guys to stand down but the police had pistols and the Navy had M4s and body armor. Police were dead before they drew their weapons. Even at 2 police per Sailor, the police would have been dead. And the moment the police decided to up the ante and bring a shotgun into play, an actual weapon in a close range fight, the Navy shot first. That is violence of action coupled with overwhelming force winning the day.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 26, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Two Feet From Bread posted:

lots of words about evil "kill the unworthy" lady's plan

It literally only exists so the Nathan James crew can go American all over their asses. I fully expect the confrontation to end with the Captain facing down evil lady and saying "You forgot one thing. It's liberty and justice...for all" *gunshot

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

pentyne posted:

It literally only exists so the Nathan James crew can go American all over their asses. I fully expect the confrontation to end with the Captain facing down evil lady and saying "You forgot one thing. It's liberty and justice...for all" *gunshot

"Not on my boat"
BANG
"We're not on your boat"
Camera pans down, blood begins to spread on the Captain's shirt.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

pentyne posted:

I could live with that. :)

Or better yet, Tex somehow getting to pull the trigger on evil lady 'cause she did something bad to his favorite hot lady doc.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

That is why I think a coup like witch is described in The Last Ship would be impossible in the USA. And this is coming from someone who would be on the 'live' side of the equation.

What's the saying? If you're a doctor you can't stand hospital dramas anymore, or cops can't watch police shows usually? Seems like that'd apply here. Drama's gotta come first and most shows are the pits when they try to do that much exposition.

pentyne posted:

You forgot one thing. He puts on his David Caruso shades halfway through.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My DVR cut off after the Captains kid says we gotta go. What happened after?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Captain single life figured out they were using the bodies as coal

many people killed.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Getting a huge team of Dr.s (not scientists because you would have to be a medical dr. to do allt he stuff that they are talking about) to poison the population with a fake vaccine just because some lady wants to cull the population and take over the government is not something I would even consider happening the the USA. Even in a post-apocalyptic USA.

It goes against the very nature of the medical profession on s many major levels it would literally stop the 'cultured few' from trusting shots of any kind ever. So now they all die from polio or small pox, or pneumonia, or literally not taking any kind of medication ever because it might be poison since that is a think that they do now. Furthermore, Dr.s are people and your conspiracy theory only holds up if people do the impossible, and keep a secret. Too many people would have to know or find out by shear fact of thousands of people being dead/never being seen again. Either by way of development or watching its implementation to keep the number of people who know to a level that someone doesn't blab. You literally can't keep that a secret from the general population. Someone would read a memo, over hear a conversation, outright tell a family with a little child who looks just like their dead child. It is impossible.

Next big plot hole. At what threshold do the police and dr.s kill off their family? Is it immediate family only? What about siblings and parents? What about cousins? Where do they start literally killing their friends and family members who were deemed unworthy? What about what jobs are the 'important jobs?' Is a National Guard member who is also a cashier an important job? What about if his Guard job is HAZMAT/CBRN related? What if the guy is retired and was an artist? Does he get to live? What about if it's a child who is too young to even start thinking about a job? Would you kill the child? Parents? or let them all live? What if they are a maintenance tech for medical equipment but not an actual dr. or nurse? What if they are a tech for some toher important thing? What if every veterinarian in the world survived because of a super secret veterinarian hand shake and you have 10,000 veterinarian. Do you save them all? Half? 1/3rd? Who picks? How do you pick? It wouldn't happen because someone with a gun would be ordered to kill their family/best friend and opt to kill 'Mom' instead. There would be a revolt within hours or minutes of 'Mom's' rule being announced. She might even be shot on the spot for saying it.

Even if I were willing to accept your assertion that it is impossible to convince doctors to involve themselves with eugenics programs or euthanasia of the terminally ill (even though history has shown that to not be the case, even in the US fairly recently), it still wouldn't be that hard to compartmentalize information for Mom's admittedly stupid plan to work. The minimum required would probably be a small but loyal team of scientists to throw Lady Doctor off the trail (until they are found out), a team of power hungry police for security (or regular ones you have convinced that the Nathan James crew are going to attempt a military coup and/or research and resource hoarding), and some junkies in gas masks that are willing to inject the already dying with drugs to hasten their inevitable death/ease their suffering in exchange for food/protection/drugs.

...or the whole eugenics program could just be based around "who do we spend resources on allowing into our protected area where they'll be much less likely to die" and all the killing of patients and burning the bodies was just desperate measures for desperate times. Nobody needs to go around executing healthy people, the dreaded lurgy is doing that for them which is the whole reason Mom gave for starting her (stupid, shortsighted) eugenics program.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Why would you need doctors to kill people? You only need one doctor or scientist who will come up with a semi-plausible cover story and then people who can give IV's.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wormil posted:

Why would you need doctors to kill people? You only need one doctor or scientist who will come up with a semi-plausible cover story and then people who can give IV's.

Which is why I picked junkies for my "how I would've done it" post. I figure intravenous drug users are the easiest to coerce out of the short list I came up with of people who are really good with hypodermic needles (doctors, nurses, research scientists, red cross employees...).

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I think it would be rather, well maybe not easy but certainly... possible for a talented national level politician to put together a team like this. It's actually the most realistic thing I've seen on the show.
Total loss of government. Someone with the aura of power steps in and promises that she can shepherd humanity through an actual end of the world plague. She asks you to trust her and she provides you and maybe your family with safety and electricity. Don't discount the power of something like the comfort of electricity and safe walls to change minds. And "We are saving the world" goes a fair way.
And as for the cops.....well. Is it really that far a step?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

oneof27 posted:

I think it would be rather, well maybe not easy but certainly... possible for a talented national level politician to put together a team like this. It's actually the most realistic thing I've seen on the show.
Total loss of government. Someone with the aura of power steps in and promises that she can shepherd humanity through an actual end of the world plague. She asks you to trust her and she provides you and maybe your family with safety and electricity. Don't discount the power of something like the comfort of electricity and safe walls to change minds. And "We are saving the world" goes a fair way.
And as for the cops.....well. Is it really that far a step?

Peeps will do anything to make sure their kids get fed.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Cat Hatter posted:

Even if I were willing to accept your assertion that it is impossible to convince doctors to involve themselves with eugenics programs or euthanasia of the terminally ill (even though history has shown that to not be the case, even in the US fairly recently), it still wouldn't be that hard to compartmentalize information for Mom's admittedly stupid plan to work. The minimum required would probably be a small but loyal team of scientists to throw Lady Doctor off the trail (until they are found out), a team of power hungry police for security (or regular ones you have convinced that the Nathan James crew are going to attempt a military coup and/or research and resource hoarding), and some junkies in gas masks that are willing to inject the already dying with drugs to hasten their inevitable death/ease their suffering in exchange for food/protection/drugs.

...or the whole eugenics program could just be based around "who do we spend resources on allowing into our protected area where they'll be much less likely to die" and all the killing of patients and burning the bodies was just desperate measures for desperate times. Nobody needs to go around executing healthy people, the dreaded lurgy is doing that for them which is the whole reason Mom gave for starting her (stupid, shortsighted) eugenics program.

Haha, oh wow. Where to begin?

Eugenics is sterilization and selective breeding so I don’t know why you brought that into play because what is happening is closer to a culling, something that the US hasn’t done since the Indian Wars. Since you did, that last major eugenics program ended before WWII, so more than 70 years ago. What still happens today is done in prisons, is voluntary, and mainly in the ultra progressive state of CA.

Euthanasia, yea, what is happening isn’t euthanasia since the people a) aren’t consenting and b) aren’t always sick. Even if it was euthanasia, that isn’t the premise that Mom sent out. She said you only got to live if you are a Dr. of some kind, are an artist (with a degree I presume), or a fat cop.

Also, your 'argument' doesn't hold water when your premise is that people are inherently OK with killing their friends and family because they like cars or building stuff more than being a Dr. or spending $300,000 on a liberal arts degree. If you honeslt believe this then you, yourself, are telling everyone that you are OK with pickign arbitrary traits that you or your family/friends have and killing them because they have/don't have those traits.

And compartmentalized information doesn’t work when you factor in that the loving nurse would notice that everyone who got the shot dies in 5 minutes. But, na, you seem to think that people are mindless drones following Queen ‘Mom’s’ orders so that must be the case! :sarcmark:

Also, Mom is going around (well, they coming to her) executing healthy people. They literally show it happening. Plus, that is her premise. Kill everyone who isn’t a Dr. or spent $300k on a liberal arts degree (or are a fat cop).

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 27, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

In Olympia with the sick, it would make some sense that the doctors/people with the shots could think they are simply putting people out of their misery. No cure, they're as good as dead anyway, and if they're carted off and cremated (for power :eng99: ) then they aren't spreading the RED FLU :supaburn:.

I liked the episode, and the show, and I hope it gets to be more like Jericho as next season goes on.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You're being kind of insufferable, and I'm sorry you have such a problem with ($300k) liberal arts degrees. Yes, the antagonist's plan is flawed and will not succeed in the end. The argument is that, during a crisis, she would be able to manipulate terrified survivors enough to get to this point, not that her plan is good or that she would be able to see it successfully to completion, so smugly pointing out how her plan is not good and how she could never see it successfully to completion is pointless.

Olympia was specifically stated as being for sick people. No, it's not technically Euthanasia because they're not able to consent, but they do have 0% chance of survival and are being put out of their misery. I'm not saying that makes it okay, even if she wasn't lying to get them there. I don't recall her ever "executing" healthy people. Her thugs shot at the captain when he didn't do what they wanted, and they're performing a hostile take over a ship, but neither of those things involved summary executions. Even the two guys shot on the bridge could very well survive if they got to the ship's doctor soon enough.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
People do lovely things when there isn't a pandemic in process that has wiped out 75 (or whatever)% of the people. Crank up the paranoia and fear about 8000% and and your sweet grandmother will volunteer to shovel bodies into the coal furnace. Offer me a way out of that and I'll be there to stick needles into your red flu carrying rear end. What's amazing is that the Baltimore euthanasia squad easily accomplished what is apparently too difficult for Oklahoma, Ohio, and Arizona.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Haha, oh wow. Where to begin?

Eugenics is sterilization and selective breeding so I don’t know why you brought that into play because what is happening is closer to a culling, something that the US hasn’t done since the Indian Wars. Since you did, that last major eugenics program ended before WWII, so more than 70 years ago. What still happens today is done in prisons, is voluntary, and mainly in the ultra progressive state of CA.

Euthanasia, yea, what is happening isn’t euthanasia since the people a) aren’t consenting and b) aren’t always sick. Even if it was euthanasia, that isn’t the premise that Mom sent out. She said you only got to live if you are a Dr. of some kind, are an artist (with a degree I presume), or a fat cop.

Also, your 'argument' doesn't hold water when your premise is that people are inherently OK with killing their friends and family because they like cars or building stuff more than being a Dr. or spending $300,000 on a liberal arts degree. If you honeslt believe this then you, yourself, are telling everyone that you are OK with pickign arbitrary traits that you or your family/friends have and killing them because they have/don't have those traits.

And compartmentalized information doesn’t work when you factor in that the loving nurse would notice that everyone who got the shot dies in 5 minutes. But, na, you seem to think that people are mindless drones following Queen ‘Mom’s’ orders so that must be the case! :sarcmark:

Also, Mom is going around (well, they coming to her) executing healthy people. They literally show it happening. Plus, that is her premise. Kill everyone who isn’t a Dr. or spent $300k on a liberal arts degree (or are a fat cop).

I really can't figure out how you can have such a poor understanding of history or even what is happening on a low-brow TV show.
  1. Doctors have shown in many countries for as long as there have been doctors that they are willing to violate the Hippocratic Oath and perform procedures without patient consent (including California prisons where it is illegal for an inmate to consent to sterilization in the same way and for the same reasons that they can't consent to sex with a guard. They need case-by-case approval by a review board which wasn't sought as recently as 2010), which has included infecting healthy people with diseases for research without patient knowledge and outright killing of healthy people (which is more severe than what is happening on the show.)
  2. Doctors aren't unique in their ability to perform an injection
  3. Nobody has been executing healthy people on this show that we are discussing. They are only killing the unskilled by not allowing them into their protected area, where there aren't enough resources to let everyone in anyway.
I'm honestly curious where you got your weird worldview that doctors are unique paragons of humanity who are incapable of ever doing anything immoral.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Sorry for the double-post but I decided I didn't want to let this slide:

Eugenics is sterilization and selective breeding...
Eugenics is a catch-all term for promoting reproduction by those with desireable traits, which is usually thought of as sterilization but can be as simple as sex education or as extreme as genocide. This is exactly what is being discussed.

Euthanasia, yea, what is happening isn’t euthanasia since the people a) aren’t consenting and b) aren’t always sick.
So Involuntary Euthanasia isn't a thing? Not that it really matters because you're original post was about how doctors aren't capable of certain acts because its against the nature of their profession, and I'm trying to point out that it has been repeatedly proven that some doctors will sometimes do things related to or much worse than what has been portrayed on the show, such as Unit 731 vivisecting people for medical research.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm honestly curious where you got your weird worldview that doctors are unique paragons of humanity who are incapable of ever doing anything immoral.

American Exceptionalism :911:

bryn987
May 31, 2014
just watched the pilot and it had everything that is wrong with network TV. lol, I thought I saw Michael Bay influences and just saw that he was a part of it

Elmerus Juniorus
Aug 17, 2014

Acquilae posted:

Cops seizing an entire Navy ship? hahahahaa

My thoughts exactly. Not entirely sure on the protocols but do DDGs have a Marine contingent or are they too small?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Baby daddy's SEAL team, are the shows red shirts. Besides, Tex is a squad of marines :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just watched through this show in 2 days.

What a stupid loving way to make an excuse for a second season, all around.

TV shows/storylines should run 10 episodes and that's it. Like fargo, fargo was perfect, this show would have been as okay as it could be if it was all wrapped up after 10 episodes. Ir you want another season, tell a new story in the same universe.

Imagine how much better shows like lost or heroes would have been if they were only 10 episodes.

In my mind, half way through this last episode they mass produced the cure and got it out to everyone and everybody lived happily ever after the end. I'm just going to pretend the last 20 minutes never happened, and there will never be another season. No fat cop with a pistol taking a whole ship of navy dudes hostage. No "seemed so nice but suddenly evil" plot twist. No soylent green is really people. No "we're researching the cure, but secretly trying to figure out how to kill people when we could just inject them with gasoline which we already have plenty of and would make them burn better". They should have made what's his face use his poo poo irish accent from sons of anarchy just to complete the poo poo circle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I agree with that. Season 2 could have been the ongoing adventures of Captain Pike as he delivers the cure around the world.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Powershift posted:

Imagine how much better shows like lost or heroes would have been if they were only 10 episodes.

They don't even have to be that short, I'd just settle for them being planned. Take 10, 20, 30 episodes or whatever but plan them out before you start shooting and end it when it ends. Don't drag the desiccated corpse of your plot on some unholy death march until the ratings dry up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Are people still seriously hung up about Lost and Heroes? People know better now (for the most part) than to pull the poo poo they did back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sober posted:

Are people still seriously hung up about Lost and Heroes? People know better now (for the most part) than to pull the poo poo they did back in the day.

Counterpoint: Revolution, Under The Dome.

• Locked thread