Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CODChimera posted:

It was okay. The fact that the world was crumbling seemed a bit downplayed though.

I think we'll see more of that as they get more contact with the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bou posted:

Reading in the OP that Rhona Mitra plays a military chick called Rachel triggers my Strike Back nerve. Definitely gonna give this a chance just to see if she'll go as crazy here as as Dalton :allears:

Rachel SCOTT no less. Coincidence?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
they could just drop all this virus bullshit and make it usa vs russia and it'd be better

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

now now, let's not forget helix got renewed
It was the right call to make. Who wouldn't want it renewed after how bugfuck crazy it got? Let's crank it to 11.

CeeJee posted:

They were a shadowy PMC who are behind everything, hired by the 0,00001%.

what color were they eyes
Holy poo poo The Last Ship is a Helix spinoff!

they could just drop all this virus bullshit and make it usa vs russia and it'd be better
Then it's neither post apocalyptic nor interesting? Russia's not much of a threat on it's own.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I watched the first episode and it wasn't bad, I think I'll stick around.

Are there other shows that are more developed in a similar vein that I can binge through?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

bou posted:

Reading in the OP that Rhona Mitra plays a military chick called Rachel triggers my Strike Back nerve. Definitely gonna give this a chance just to see if she'll go as crazy here as as Dalton :allears:
Tragically here they apparently forgot to cast her as a total stone cold badass, which is a tremendous waste of Rhona Mitra if you ask me.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I watched the first episode and it wasn't bad, I think I'll stick around.

Are there other shows that are more developed in a similar vein that I can binge through?

Lucky for you The Leftovers has its first episode on HBO today. It's a show where a large part of humanity disappears and deals with those that remained behind. I don't think it's explicitly christian. Early reviews were great.

Disclaimer: It's from the guys that wrote LOST, so it might still get bad.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm a sucker for this type of show and as long as it doesn't become utterly stupid or embroiled in senseless drama, I'm in. Eric Dane won me over in the pilot. His character played a good balance between sensible decisions and Captain Kirk.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I am indescribably happy that this show acknowledged that fuel degrades over time

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Okay, did nobody notice that in the scene where Hot Young Woman Officer and Hawt Camo Soldier Guy make out in the hallway closet that Hot Young Woman has captain's double bar insignia even though the dialogue says she's a lieutenant? Bay has to be laughing.

I will be watching Ep. 2 though. The show makes good tension even if the mil characters are right out of Transformers.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

For what it is worth I thought the first episode was pretty well done. It was fairly tight and fast paced. There were some plot holes, but none that were devastating. Pretty fair cast too. I am not sure if they can pull it off over many episodes but at least they are off to a decent start.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

I will be watching Ep. 2 though. The show makes good tension even if the mil characters are right out of Transformers.

Yeah some lazy character writing. Let's have a few scenes of people yelling at each other for no particular reason so we know they are hot headed and passionate - character established and done. It looks promising though and I'll keep watching. They can do some great things with the plot as long as it doesn't get bogged down with some elaborate conspiracy/secret societies/supervillainous globocorp inc.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DeusExMachinima posted:

... Hot Young Woman has captain's double bar insignia even though the dialogue says she's a lieutenant? Bay has to be laughing.
That is lieutenant.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought the second episode was alright, except for the Captain leading the away team, which is stupid in a fantastic future space setting. In a more grounded, realistic setting it's distractingly awful, especially after that talk with the scientist about keeping essential personnel on board.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

I thought the second episode was alright, except for the Captain leading the away team, which is stupid in a fantastic future space setting. In a more grounded, realistic setting it's distractingly awful, especially after that talk with the scientist about keeping essential personnel on board.
What better way for a ship's captain to show leadership and promote camaraderie in a post-apocalyptic setting than to go on a high-risk operation with the crew instead of letting the crewmen specifically trained to lead?!?!?

It's a decent series and something to watch on Sundays so I'll stick around this season.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

It was a plot device to make the audience like Adam Baldwin's character more. It didn't work too well.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Counterpoint: They were on deployment for over 4 months and at every port we stopped in it was always the officers first in line to get off for liberty call. Captain just wanted to be there before the beer tent ran out of american beers and they got the crappy local stuff out.

Also for realism, 'hawt navy chick' being able to walk into the male officer's berthing which would be a combo locked door to see 'hawt camo guy' as hes bagging up that dead guys things I was like... 'yeah thats a real navy girl alright'.

I'm actually enjoying this show. I'll stick around for a bit longer.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
"We don't negotiate with terrorists."

Oh you tell em generic Navy captain straight out of Michael Bay's wet dreams!

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

"We don't negotiate with terrorists."

Oh you tell em generic Navy captain straight out of Michael Bay's wet dreams!

I prefer to think of it as generic Navy captain without a incompetent bureaucracy hindering him from doing his job. :)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Hey, if you want to tell TNT what you thought about last night's episode, go for it!

http://spr.ly/6182Yngn <--survey

I am really enjoying this show, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
No issues here. If I cared about realistic naval operations I wouldn't have watched the first episode, though I can understand how that would be frustrating to others.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

wormil posted:

No issues here. If I cared about realistic naval operations I wouldn't have watched the first episode, though I can understand how that would be frustrating to others.

On the survey you can pick an answer that says 'I watch this show to learn about the Navy' so maybe in their eyes they are portraying it with some authenticity.

And I could definitely sperg much more than I have but I am enjoying this show so I only harp on the stuff I find amusingly wrong or right.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The second episode was pretty action packed and well paced. Pretty drat good overall. I wouldn't say it was like BGS's "33" insane level of quality but glad to know they didn't blow their entire budget on the pilot and peter out.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I love the fact that the Captain is basically Kirk on Earth, right down to leading the away missions. In fact the entire show has a sort of Star Trek or early Andromeda vibe--hell, it can get downright Buck Rogers/Genesis II. I can easily see these guys wandering from one crazy post apoc setting of the week to another while the A plot simmers in the background. Finding different places where civilization has crashed can become the show's version of Monster of the Week. Just intersperse it with Myth episodes every now and again to move the arc forward.

In fact I'd say if they made this more like TOS BSG and less like new BSG, with slightly less cheese, it could be great. Next stop, Cowboy Planet Town!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Astroman posted:

I love the fact that the Captain is basically Kirk on Earth, right down to leading the away missions. In fact the entire show has a sort of Star Trek or early Andromeda vibe--hell, it can get downright Buck Rogers/Genesis II. I can easily see these guys wandering from one crazy post apoc setting of the week to another while the A plot simmers in the background. Finding different places where civilization has crashed can become the show's version of Monster of the Week. Just intersperse it with Myth episodes every now and again to move the arc forward.

In fact I'd say if they made this more like TOS BSG and less like new BSG, with slightly less cheese, it could be great. Next stop, Cowboy Planet Town!

If anything, this last episode basically felt like a terrestrial copy of the Ragnar Anchorage episode from the new BSG, right down to them running into a raggedy guy who might end up becoming more trouble than he's worth.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If anything, this last episode basically felt like a terrestrial copy of the Ragnar Anchorage episode from the new BSG, right down to them running into a raggedy guy who might end up becoming more trouble than he's worth.

After his scene getting patched up, I felt like that guy was a terrible carbon copy of Pope, the anti hero and most popular dude on Falling Skies by an order of magnitude. Stupid evil russian rear end in a top hat kinda reminds me of Baltar too, because I spend most of his scenes hoping he gets caught and killed so they can move on. If this show does end up being similar to BSG, at least we know we're in for two loving amazing seasons before it goes off the rails.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
It definitely has that stitched-together-from-trailers Michael Bay feel, but I thought it was pretty good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

Stupid evil russian rear end in a top hat kinda reminds me of Baltar too, because I spend most of his scenes hoping he gets caught and killed so they can move on.

I rated his character extremely low in the linked 'tell us what you thought' poll. Now that he's led the Russians to the ship he can please exit stage right. The entire RUSSIANS TRYING TO STEAL THE CURE thing is idiotic. If anything, the Russians were (and still are) the sine qua non of germ warfare excellence, which implies that the endgame for this is probably some ~radical sect~ of Cold War-nostalgic Super-KGB Russians altered the virus so their PROLETARIAT SUPERMEN (and women) would ~rule the world~.

...it would explain why Adam Baldwin's there. It'd give him and Nick Searcy something else to geek out over on Twitter.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Why is the Russian mole scientist telling the Russians that they even have a cure to be stolen? I would understand if it was some other crewman being like "oh hey Russians we have a cure" but this guy KNOWS that it's not done and that there's still more work to be did. Is stealing the "cure" taking all their work onto the Russian ship and forcing the doctor to redo everything there? It's such a weirdly lovely plot point and I wonder if it's handled differently in the book.

Also question: if the virus is airborne then can they catch it from a dead person who was infected? Was the point of that scene that there could be an alive infected person? I don't really understand how most things in life work.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
They kinda described it as a recently dead infected body can spread it, anyone who gets it is a carrier and will die, somehow though, despite it being airborne you are fine out in the open, it's just in cramped quarters (e.g. the ship itself) it's deadly.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

luscious posted:

Why is the Russian mole scientist telling the Russians that they even have a cure to be stolen? I would understand if it was some other crewman being like "oh hey Russians we have a cure" but this guy KNOWS that it's not done and that there's still more work to be did. Is stealing the "cure" taking all their work onto the Russian ship and forcing the doctor to redo everything there? It's such a weirdly lovely plot point and I wonder if it's handled differently in the book.

Also question: if the virus is airborne then can they catch it from a dead person who was infected? Was the point of that scene that there could be an alive infected person? I don't really understand how most things in life work.

Probably has to do with the fact that the virus was genetically modified. The Russians could have modified it and are trying to cover it up, or the US modified it and the Russians want to prove it was them. Either the doctor or the sample could be what they're after.

It will end up being Liberals who modified the virus to try to end global warming or turn everyone gay or something.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014
I'm thinking it was the Russians who originally weaponized the virus and it was somehow (accidentally or otherwise) released before a vaccine could be developed. Initial outbreak kills all the original Russian researchers and somehow the only person left who has a decent chance of finding the cure is our resident hot lady doctor/scientist. Now Russians want the cure so they can bring what's left of the world to their knees and establish the New Soviet World Order...or something like that.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I figured that if the incubation period was 3 or 4 days that they would quarantine (really had no idea how to spell that holy poo poo) the people who went on the away mission so that they could be 100% sure that there was no accidental exposure. I don't think it would be that hard to set up a place on the deck to do that but I have issues with immersion and :negative:

But hey only doctor in the world who can fix this problem why don't you go and risk possible exposure because you feel you have to prove yourself.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014
Possible plot device.

As a result of engineering the virus to be more potent, it becomes more fragile and sensitive to ultraviolet radiation (i.e. sunlight). It's snug and safe while inside the host or indoors, but with exposure to direct daylight it dies quick. When indoors and in close quarters (or at night) the virus spreads easily via airborne transmission, but outside during the day it can only spread effectively by touch or blood splatter.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I was thinking that maybe there was a reason they were showing the guy who was inside with low oxygen coming outside, immediately taking off his mask and taking deep breaths. I dunno. I would have run further away - especially if I had just exploded something inside a place where there was lots of blood.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The entire RUSSIANS TRYING TO STEAL THE CURE thing is idiotic.

No, not "the" Russians. They clearly said it was Russian extremists since the country fell apart. I don't think they're going that route. I'm sure plenty of Americans will shoot each other and hopefully one side won't be Secret Evil MegaCorp Inc.

wormil posted:

That is lieutenant.

Sissy Navy and their special snowflake ranks, I guess I was thinking of the army. :argh:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

THF13 posted:

It will end up being Liberals who modified the virus to try to end global warming or turn everyone gay or something.

This is the actual plot of Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy and I would very much welcome it as the plot for this one, because "the russians did it" has been done so many times.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

GaussianCopula posted:

This is the actual plot of Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy and I would very much welcome it as the plot for this one, because "the russians did it" has been done so many times.

Whats funny is if I remember right its a Russian guy that the Evil Liberal's bring in to help with their plan that tips off Rainbow Six about where the Evil Liberal's are hiding. He switches sides cause one of the Head Evil Liberals takes him on a ride around his giant ranch and talks about their plans for what they'll do after they kill off almost the entire population of the world.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ElBrak posted:

Whats funny is if I remember right its a Russian guy that the Evil Liberal's bring in to help with their plan that tips off Rainbow Six about where the Evil Liberal's are hiding. He switches sides cause one of the Head Evil Liberals takes him on a ride around his giant ranch and talks about their plans for what they'll do after they kill off almost the entire population of the world.

Bike paths everywhere and Volvos Teslas for e'rybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Oh that's nice they didn't even get through two full episodes before terrorists :freep:

• Locked thread