Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bike paths everywhere and Volvos Teslas for e'rybody.

Amusingly the liberals at question in the books are less the hippie liberals (peace, love, dope) and more old school hunter conservationists like Teddy Roosevelt. There's talk of leading hunting expeditions in Africa after the Apocalypse (at which point the population of the world would be reduced to around ~1 million people) while avgas and airstrips are still usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

Oh that's nice they didn't even get through two full episodes before terrorists :freep:

If you expected anything less you're watching the wrong show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wandle Cax posted:

TNT, they *know* drama their audience.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Apparently I don't watch much TNT then cause I wasn't expecting it at all. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Chasiubao posted:

Apparently I don't watch much TNT then cause I wasn't expecting it at all. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.

So when they said "Hey, we're going to Gitmo next week" in the last episode of this action show, you figured this week would probably consist of like, the survivors creating an autonomous collective and welcoming the Navy Ship in with open arms, a welcoming smile, and religious tolerance?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

counterfeitsaint posted:

So when they said "Hey, we're going to Gitmo next week" in the last episode of this action show, you figured this week would probably consist of like, the survivors creating an autonomous collective and welcoming the Navy Ship in with open arms, a welcoming smile, and religious tolerance?

Finding all the prisoners executed by the private contractors would have been more realistic than "Hi, we released the prisoners in the high security / high value target wing where we tortured everyone for years and now they're shooting at us, how the gently caress did that happen?".

I'm hate-watching this show, it's a dramatized Navy recruitment video where all the world's problems are going to be solved by putting on dress whites, praying and shooting magical freedom dust.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope one of the russians is called Yvan eht nioj

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I love these kinds of shows, however, I have a question about uniforms so bear with me if this has an obvious answer. Around 1:40 in the second episode you see two squads (I guess) of soldiers. One is wearing a brown khaki colour uniform and the other is in blue. What's the difference?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vodos posted:

Finding all the prisoners executed by the private contractors would have been more realistic than "Hi, we released the prisoners in the high security / high value target wing where we tortured everyone for years and now they're shooting at us, how the gently caress did that happen?".

I'm hate-watching this show, it's a dramatized Navy recruitment video where all the world's problems are going to be solved by putting on dress whites, praying and shooting magical freedom dust.

Yeah that was so weird. I assumed they would be fighting the Guards for not sharing supplies or something, not actual terrorists with IEDs and RPGs.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I didn't make the connection at all. Maybe because I grew up in :canada:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Octy posted:

I love these kinds of shows, however, I have a question about uniforms so bear with me if this has an obvious answer. Around 1:40 in the second episode you see two squads (I guess) of soldiers. One is wearing a brown khaki colour uniform and the other is in blue. What's the difference?

the scrubs in blue are part of the ships crew and the ones in the khaki are navy seals that were stationed on the ship iirc

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

the scrubs in blue are part of the ships crew and the ones in the khaki are navy seals that were stationed on the ship iirc

Thank you. I knew I'd never be able to enjoy the show without knowing this minor detail.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Pretty sure they're just Marines, not SEALs, but what do I know.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

eriktown posted:

Pretty sure they're just Marines, not SEALs, but what do I know.

says seals on the wiki page :v:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah they are supposed to be SEALs but I wasn't sure until looking at the wiki.

I don't know what the crew composition is on a destroyer but on our LHD we had Marines aboard naturally so seeing desert camo crap seemed natural.

Spergy stuff below.

I guess the reasons I wasn't sure was that the main seal and his guys don't look/act the part. Most other movies get it right in that most of them wear beards. There's a couple clean cut all american captain america types too but usually aboard ship you can tell who they are because of the beards and they will walk around in flip flops and those tiny brown shorts.

And in the first episode when they are talking about bringing the dog onboard they were all saying stuff like 'well I don't think the captain is gonna like it', if they really wanted to sell him as a seal he would have said 'gently caress your captain'. Just about every sailor I knew who's been around seals would agree to that, if you ever hear anyone on ship stop them and tell them they can't wear flip flops or the smoke deck is secured or whatever they just say 'gently caress you' and move on. Even to the captain.

And I don't care if the captain hated dogs or whatever, if Taskforce or the Seals said they needed a dog there the captain wouldn't say poo poo about it. They all want to make admiral one day and are all about advancing their careers and they want to be team players when big navy says its gotta be done. If they thought that dog would be the one to sniff out the next Osama on cruise the captain and the xo would throw a blow bang for that dog in the captain's cabin so they could put it on their brag sheets.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was more entertaining than both episodes put together. I thought your man at Gitmo would have been a rogue SEAL fo shizzle.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CODChimera posted:

Yeah that was so weird. I assumed they would be fighting the Guards for not sharing supplies or something, not actual terrorists with IEDs and RPGs.

Vodos posted:

So wait, you're disappointed they made the private contractor guards humans who let their prisoners go instead of evil moustache twirling BLACKWATER/Jennings and Rall style thugs? :psyduck:

As to the Navy people being the good guys, well why not? Would you watch Star Trek or Andromeda and be put out that the Federation or the crew of the Andromeda who were trying to revive their Commonwealth weren't realistically portrayed as imperialist racist jerks?

"Oh, here comes Captain Kirk again, forcing STUPID FEDERATION DEMOCRACY on some primitive natives who just wanted to live their own equally valid culture under their Computer God. What a fascist rear end in a top hat! I'm rooting for the Klingons!"

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vodos posted:

Well yeah, the protagonists of the show are the good guys and will save the day. Do keep us updated on the hate-watching though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Astroman posted:

So wait, you're disappointed they made the private contractor guards humans who let their prisoners go instead of evil moustache twirling BLACKWATER/Jennings and Rall style thugs? :psyduck:

Not so much disappointed, more surprised really.

It does seem like a very questionable decision to free the Terrorists and then let them obtain RPGs somehow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CODChimera posted:

Not so much disappointed, more surprised really.

It does seem like a very questionable decision to free the Terrorists and then let them obtain RPGs somehow.

I can't imagine getting to the weapons was very hard when all the other soldiers on the island were already dead.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:Where did the HV prisoners get RPG's at a US naval base:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Rocksicles posted:

They're terrorists. They're crafty like that.

I'm still not sure if this show is bad in a fun, camp way, or just plain terrible. I keep laughing out loud at moments and lines that I think are meant to be serious. Like that 'permission to salute the captain' thing in the pilot. Don't think I've ever rolled my eyes that hard at a tv show.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

I'm thinking from dead Cuban troops that were stationed just outside of the base. Maybe some Cubans tried to enter the base out of desperation and there was a skirmish before the virus overcame both sides.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Serious military question here, would RPGs in a military base on the border of a non-ally nation really be that unusual? :shrug:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Xoidanor posted:

Serious military question here, would RPGs in a military base on the border of a non-ally nation really be that unusual? :shrug:

RPGs are Soviet/Russian weapons, so yes.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rocksicles posted:

The rocket launcher you see being carried around looks like an American AT-4.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

RPGs are Soviet/Russian weapons, so yes.

Oh right I forgot that RPG's are actually not a shorthand for bazookas. It looked like the terrorists were using something similiar to a Carl Gustav in the episode so yeah, not an RPG then.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't notice. Someone said RPG i just assumed.

e: it is an AT4

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Last Ship - :spergin:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
The TV IV > The Last Ship: Your Waifu Is Dead

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.
Just watched the first two episodes. Fine for summer. But what I want to know is: if 80% of the human population is dead or dying, what are people doing going on a cruise?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Quisty posted:

Just watched the first two episodes. Fine for summer. But what I want to know is: if 80% of the human population is dead or dying, what are people doing going on a cruise?

They probably went on the cruise before the plague became newsworthy, then found out they couldn't return home due to quarantines and stayed adrift until everyone was dead/too sick to move

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Obscurity posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Last Ship - :spergin:

I learned everything about weapons from playing Battlefield.

Caught up on the show demand, has its holes buy then again I'm goof-watching Falling Skies.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Evil Russians are evil.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Gonz posted:

Evil Russians are evil.

For the purposes of this show you could basically just say "Russians".

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Gonz posted:

Evil Russians are evil.

I see that they are going with the trope that the US captain can show restraint while the Russian is ruthless.

Edit: "I can knock the nipples off a chicken at 1000 yards."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
At least this show gets a reaction from me. I can't even bother to bring myself to look at Falling Skies anymore for just how "blah" it is.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

DarklyDreaming posted:

They probably went on the cruise before the plague became newsworthy, then found out they couldn't return home due to quarantines and stayed adrift until everyone was dead/too sick to move

Or they went on the cruise before the plague became newsworthy and someone was sick, with the insane rate of infection and 100% mortality there's no way any country would let them dock. I mean it's only 5400 people to infect and kill on the largest italian cruise ship.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

deimos posted:

Or they went on the cruise before the plague became newsworthy and someone was sick, with the insane rate of infection and 100% mortality there's no way any country would let them dock. I mean it's only 5400 people to infect and kill on the largest italian cruise ship.

Yeah, if govts are willing to kill 60 million people not letting 5400 dock sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really liking the Gitmo guy the brought on board. Tex?

• Locked thread