Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm a sucker for this type of show and as long as it doesn't become utterly stupid or embroiled in senseless drama, I'm in. Eric Dane won me over in the pilot. His character played a good balance between sensible decisions and Captain Kirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DeusExMachinima posted:

... Hot Young Woman has captain's double bar insignia even though the dialogue says she's a lieutenant? Bay has to be laughing.
That is lieutenant.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
No issues here. If I cared about realistic naval operations I wouldn't have watched the first episode, though I can understand how that would be frustrating to others.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm loving this show for what it is ... a 60s/80s Cold War/Star Trek xover with Captain Pike. Luckily I don't know enough about the Navy to spoil the fun.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

WarLocke posted:

I'm enjoying this show despite how jingoistic it is. I was rolling my eyes pretty hard when they made the scientist who actually wanted to share information one of the bad guys.

The jingoism, such as it is, is benign. The Captain just believes in a set of ideals that he associates with the United States Navy. And I don't think the scientist is portrayed as a "bad guy" per se. The show made his motivation clear and I suspect that much of the audience would agree with his desire to share information -- the Captain made a similar offer to the Russian captain. But his family is still in danger and because of his threats against the crew, he cannot be trusted to make decisions that are in the best interest of the crew or align with the Captain's mission.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm not sure how blowing one hole in a cruiser keeps it from shooting our heroes

I'm not a navy guy but my guess is that if your ship is damaged and cannot move, attacking another ship is a really bad idea; same reason the US ship didn't want to fight while docked.

Blackchamber posted:

Wasting fuel on a helicopter to loiter for a comms patch on a monkey hunt would have been overkill. Not to mention they might not have parts to fix it if it breaks (and they do all the time) so its best to conserve.

A close friend is a helicopter mechanic for both the National Guard and State Police, helicopters apparently break something almost every time they fly. Usually not anything major, but they are extremely maintenance intensive and use a crapload of fuel so I can understand them not wanting to use a helicopter except in emergency situations.

wormil fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 21, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's a pretty fun show, I'm enjoying the hell out of it although it's action is better than it's drama.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I feel the same about the monkeys but honestly a lot of people are pretty stupid about science, even smart people.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That delivered what I want from a summertime action apocalyptic navy show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sober posted:

Yeah, first they get shot up, then get blown up.

Then infected, serves those pinko's right for messing with the U S A!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My DVR cut off after the Captains kid says we gotta go. What happened after?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Why would you need doctors to kill people? You only need one doctor or scientist who will come up with a semi-plausible cover story and then people who can give IV's.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
People do lovely things when there isn't a pandemic in process that has wiped out 75 (or whatever)% of the people. Crank up the paranoia and fear about 8000% and and your sweet grandmother will volunteer to shovel bodies into the coal furnace. Offer me a way out of that and I'll be there to stick needles into your red flu carrying rear end. What's amazing is that the Baltimore euthanasia squad easily accomplished what is apparently too difficult for Oklahoma, Ohio, and Arizona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I agree with that. Season 2 could have been the ongoing adventures of Captain Pike as he delivers the cure around the world.

• Locked thread