Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Bought in at 40 because if I must be retarded at least I can temper it a little. Also want to play Elder, so. An thing: EC-AA4D0PXBLZ9M2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Waaait a second. No librarian or chaplain class for the Space Marines ?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Hammerstein posted:

Waaait a second. No librarian or chaplain class for the Space Marines ?

Well, for the chaplain at least it would be kind of boring. 90% of the reason you take one in tabletop is for passive buffs. Aside from that the chaplain doesn't really have any capabilities outside of your average Marine. He's got a power weapon and an invuln save, and neither of those would drastically change the feel of playing one.

As far as Librarians, I imagine they're trying to keep psychic powers as the wheelhouse of the Eldar to distinguish them from the other factions.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

As far as Librarians, I imagine they're trying to keep psychic powers as the wheelhouse of the Eldar to distinguish them from the other factions.

The librarian is going to be one of the (initial?) Space Marine hero classes, which you can think of like Battlefront 2 heroes, where you call them in for a certain amount of points for a limited time (or until death likely.)

Also ended up watching both previous livestreams because I'm a dumb idiot, and it turns out they basically have Chivalry melee combat which is goddamn fantastic.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Also ended up watching both previous livestreams because I'm a dumb idiot, and it turns out they basically have Chivalry melee combat which is goddamn fantastic.

OH WHAT NOW!!?>?!?@43

gently caress you Orv for making me spend money on this....

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I hated the way Chivalry melee controlled, so that's a little disappointing to me. I suppose it does make it feel suitably low budget, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

OH WHAT NOW!!?>?!?@43

gently caress you Orv for making me spend money on this....

Guess that makes us even? :v:

On their initial livestream they show two bits of the melee combat. Note that they also say in that livestream that melee is intended to be a huge part of the game.

At 16 minutes they faff about with melee for a bit, showing the block system and the kick move. Kicking breaks blocks. Unlike Chivalry (it's not an entirely apt analogy but it's close), you can hold your block as long as you want, and as long as your weapons are equal weight/class someone will eventually have to break out the boot. If say, you block a thunder hammer with combat knife, you might get one solid block in, but the next swing will take off your face.

And then at 19:30 give or take, they show what is essentially JK saber clashing. If two similarly weighted/classed weapons swing at the same time, they spang off each other instead of the dumb Chivalry thing where you both just get hit.

Also if you couldn't even bother to watch until 6:30 they show the bolter execution movie and it is :black101: as gently caress. The chainsword execute is during the 16:00 bit and you impale someone, lift them on the covered top of the blade and then cut out their pelvis.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PantsOptional posted:

Well, for the chaplain at least it would be kind of boring. 90% of the reason you take one in tabletop is for passive buffs. Aside from that the chaplain doesn't really have any capabilities outside of your average Marine. He's got a power weapon and an invuln save, and neither of those would drastically change the feel of playing one.

Chaplains could represent part of the in-game war council or whatever the gently caress they have as part of the leadership of the respective chapter.

:goonsay:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Guess that makes us even? :v:

On their initial livestream they show two bits of the melee combat. Note that they also say in that livestream that melee is intended to be a huge part of the game.

At 16 minutes they faff about with melee for a bit, showing the block system and the kick move. Kicking breaks blocks. Unlike Chivalry (it's not an entirely apt analogy but it's close), you can hold your block as long as you want, and as long as your weapons are equal weight/class someone will eventually have to break out the boot. If say, you block a thunder hammer with combat knife, you might get one solid block in, but the next swing will take off your face.

And then at 19:30 give or take, they show what is essentially JK saber clashing. If two similarly weighted/classed weapons swing at the same time, they spang off each other instead of the dumb Chivalry thing where you both just get hit.

Also if you couldn't even bother to watch until 6:30 they show the bolter execution movie and it is :black101: as gently caress. The chainsword execute is during the 16:00 bit and you impale someone, lift them on the covered top of the blade and then cut out their pelvis.

I knew it would be a bad idea to be the bank of Orv :v:

Hope is but the first step on the road to disappointment. I have a really bad feeling the monetization for this game is going to be horrible like all things GW.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Stanley Pain posted:

I knew it would be a bad idea to be the bank of Orv :v:

Hope is but the first step on the road to disappointment. I have a really bad feeling the monetization for this game is going to be horrible like all things GW.

One in five times you buy a pretty dress up skin for your Space Marine, it'll deform your character model and have mold lines showing prominently.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Zaodai posted:

One in five times you buy a pretty dress up skin for your Space Marine, it'll deform your character model and have mold lines showing prominently.

Papa Nurgle

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

robziel posted:

Oh man, I wish I'd checked for a thread before picking this up. My code is EC-YEGZ8RZTAKCMZ here's hoping that I don't regret pre-ordering to much.

I used your code, here's mine if anyone feels like paying it forward: EC-3XB4VGWW3XZ7M

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

cknoos posted:

I used your code, here's mine if anyone feels like paying it forward: EC-3XB4VGWW3XZ7M

Rock on thanks mate!

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Here's my referral code if anyone needs one: EC-XQ0HI5RPK3SA2

Matthaeus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 8, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
On this weeks live stream from about 23 minutes to 33-ish they show some of their mocap sessions for the game. It is hysterical.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I'm still super cautious but I really like just how blatantly transparent they seem to be acting.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Bearserker posted:

Here's my referral code if anyone needs one: EC-XQ0HI5RPK3SA2.

Used this, here's mine:

EC-8ERG4TSFEZI45

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

thegodofchuck posted:

Used this, here's mine:

EC-8ERG4TSFEZI45

Used! Thank you.

Mine: EC-MNSLI4F55S1IH

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Kortel posted:

Used! Thank you.

Mine: EC-MNSLI4F55S1IH

Used it, mine is EC-JTK99C1404NOZ.

swissmercenary
Nov 28, 2012

gentlemen, shall we?
and here is my recruitment code:

EC-JPYI6K2OSSKSM

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

xxEightxx posted:

Used it, mine is EC-JTK99C1404NOZ.

Used this, mine is here: EC-TMLKP2GAIQVQ0

Been keeping an eye on this for awhile and am looking forward to a chance to actually play it!

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I just went through the website and the YouTube stuff for this. The pre alpha looks ok and I like how open the devs seem to be. I'm hoping for nothing beyond a fun space marine game here and maybe they can do it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

From today's newsletter:

quote:

+++Receiving Astropatic Transmission+++
+++Authentication Ordo ********+++
+++Origin :: Kharon System:: +++
+++To: Chapter Master Logan Grimnar+++
+++From: Inquisitor Damaris Severina+++

----Begin Message----

If I may beg the indulgence of the Great Wolf, my Lord Grimnar, it has been too long since I have seen your esteemed and noble countenance. I wish this message came on white wings but, alas, they must be dark. With the situation on Cadia Prime seeming to be an inevitable deadlock, it has come to my attention that a situation is developing in the Kharon System.

I am en route to investigate personally.

When the investigations are complete I shall endeavour to rendezvous with your battle fleet near Cadia Prime and we can discuss this evolving situation in person. In the meantime, however, as the spoils of war being to trickle back towards Terra, please gently remind those under your command that the very discussion of the events preceding The Great Scouring, is, in fact, heresy. The Adeptus Ministorum has decreed that relics from this era, taken from the hands of traitor Astartes, or other Xenos, should correctly be identified as being from the Dawn of the Imperium.

Yours in humility,
Inquisitor Damaris Severina
Ordo ********

I know it's just a silly piece of fluff prefacing the renaming of their items, but the Inquisition sending a gag order to the Space Wolves - to Grimnar himself - is loving hilarious.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

PantsOptional posted:

From today's newsletter:

I know it's just a silly piece of fluff prefacing the renaming of their items, but the Inquisition sending a gag order to the Space Wolves - to Grimnar himself - is loving hilarious.

I imagine that if he actually existed he'd use that paper to clean up one of his massive wolf shaped, ale tainted, space marine craps.

Edit: Also, I just noticed the "yours in humility". At least they wrote it like the fictional writer knew there was no way in hell the insane wolf obsessed super vikings were going to listen to them. :allears:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 22, 2014

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aren't the Space Wolves on halfway good terms with the Inquisition (such as one could possibly be) anyway? They both share the common "gently caress all of you people, I do what needs to be done" mindset and disdain for everyone else.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Not exactly. They declared war on each other after the First War on Armageddon and the conflict was only defused as the SW Chapter fleet clashed with a Battlefleet led by the Inquisition which was about to burn Fenris to the ground. Grimnar himself was the leader of the Wolves in question and never forgave the Inquisition. Relations are... strained.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaodai posted:

Aren't the Space Wolves on halfway good terms with the Inquisition (such as one could possibly be) anyway? They both share the common "gently caress all of you people, I do what needs to be done" mindset and disdain for everyone else.

The three Space Marine chapters that get their own books most of the named Space Marine chapters hate the Inquisition. They tend to have nasty enough secrets to get declared traitor over if they ever got out.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 22, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
exorcists supremacy

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The three Space Marine chapters that get their own books most of the named Space Marine chapters hate the Inquisition. They tend to have nasty enough secrets to get declared traitor over if they ever got out.

If there is ever an end to the 40k universe, executing eachother as they list off their myriad traitorous acts (whether real or not) would be the best way to go out.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Wanna see inquisition ex communicate the astartes and have them get all pissed and link up w the traitor legion and all 18 legions go on a merry romp to terra and unplug the emperor

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Zaodai posted:

The Space Wolves hate the inquisition. Aside from being psychotic space berskerers that can't get through a sentence without mentioning the words wolf, ale, wolves, honor, or glory, they tend to be very pro human rights. Or at least as close as a group can get to it in this setting.

This leads to them outright declaring war on the Imperium every now and then to try and fix its many internal gently caress ups. I think they even call them "crusades of compassion". Compassion usually meaning that they find the most corrupt and evil bastard in power near their territory and ram a chainsaw shaped sword up his rear end until he stops moving. :black101:

This obviously pisses the inquisition off since they can't stand anyone doing their job better than them. Never mind the part where they're outright rebelling against their authority. However the Wolves are literally their own little nation in space. And all their political connections mean that Grimnar knows he could literally take a dump in front of the golden throne while wearing a "Horus was Right!" t-shirt and the inquisition could only weep in rage at having their authority usurped.

Keeping that in mind, that letter becomes hilarious given the tone it has. Especially the simpering "yours in humility" part. Someone really did their homework there.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 22, 2014

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I forget which book it was, the one where they besieged Prospero while declaring the Thousand Sons as traitors for Magnus warning the Emperor about Horus but that is pretty much the opposite to what's stated there. Russ and his wolves were the Emperor's executioners, perfectly willing to declare their own version of exterminatus and much better at hiding it than the Inquisition. At least one of the missing founding legions was put down by the Space Wolves on the Emperor's orders and there were rumours of them exchanging geneseed with the Lunar Wolves before Horus developed his daddy issues.

The only other primarch as bloodthirsty as Russ was Angron. Difference being, Russ knew what the word "heel" meant.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Verizian posted:

I forget which book it was, the one where they besieged Prospero while declaring the Thousand Sons as traitors for Magnus warning the Emperor about Horus but that is pretty much the opposite to what's stated there. Russ and his wolves were the Emperor's executioners, perfectly willing to declare their own version of exterminatus and much better at hiding it than the Inquisition. At least one of the missing founding legions was put down by the Space Wolves on the Emperor's orders and there were rumours of them exchanging geneseed with the Lunar Wolves before Horus developed his daddy issues.

The only other primarch as bloodthirsty as Russ was Angron. Difference being, Russ knew what the word "heel" meant.

That's the Horus Heresy era books. The wolves are different during that period of time since those books take place far in the past during the opening years when everything starts to go to poo poo for the Imperium. The Wolves that get used in the fluff take place during the time when the main fluff usually occurs, which is around the year 40,000. Grimnar himself leads the Wolves then, and is big on defending the citizens of the Imperium.

The Horus Heresy era Wolves are terrifying super berserkers that are implied to have slaughtered at least one planet into submission. I think it's even mentioned that the Emperor designed them as his executioners in one book.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 22, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Verizian posted:

The Inquisition is not the Emperor.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Waci posted:

The Inquisition is not the Emperor.

To put some perspective on how big of a character trait it is for the Wolves, a big story event was the war of Armageddon. In which huge amounts of manpower were funneled to one planet to try and save it, culminating in a daemon prince'd Angron showing up to wreck everyone's face. This is that thing PantsOptional mentioned.

The inquisition wanted to put the survivors of this war (Who fought for the Imperium, mind you.) into forced labor camps to be worked to death. The reason being that they might have seen a daemon. They weren't sure who had and who hadn't, so they were going to murder everyone in the most Nazi way possible. This was on top of the wide spread extermination of every planet or entity that encountered a survivor of Armageddon.

Grimnar got word of this and went nuts. He put his ships between the refugee and soldier's ships and forced the Inquisition to stand down, until an rear end in a top hat inquisitor (there's a lot of these) decided to give the order to open fire on them. Cue the Wolves formally declaring war on the Inqusition, the Space Wolves forces ripping the inquisition personnel in the area apart, the siege of the Space Wolves homeworld, the death of the refugees after some underhanded tactics, and Grimnar going so batshit with rage at that that he tracked down and decapitated the inquisitor responsible for the whole mess along with a Grey Knight chapter master that was stupid enough to back up the inquisitor's actions. The latter of which basically had him taking out a psychic super powered version of a space marine.

The whole thing was called "The Months of Shame" and was kind of a follow up story to the Armageddon thing. The inquisition stopped just short of ripping the Imperium in half when word of the siege got out and all the successor chapters to the Wolves (And the other founding chapters, and their successor chapters, and so on and so forth.) started eyeing the inquisition warily. Meanwhile the Wolves just kept killing inquisitors and their minions like being outnumbered a thousand to one on their home world was no big deal.

Since then the inquisition has been scared shitless of Logan Grimnar and does its best not to piss him off. The inquisition eventually realized they were going to lose and stopped attacking the Wolves, who were eventually pacified by concessions to the inquisitions policies on murdering everything. The punch line to all those :words: being that Grimnar actually forced the setting into being slightly less grimdark through sheer :black101: and frothing rage. Which is why every story involving chaos in the setting doesn't end with "and then the protagonists were suddenly virus bombed from orbit" nowadays.

So TL;DR: The Inquisition and the Wolves loving hate each other and are only barely civilized about it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 22, 2014

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Even with them being at war with in the inquisition, the average guardsmen would probably side with a space wolf over an inquisitor. Not that he'd have a choice.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Even with them being at war with in the inquisition, the average guardsmen would probably side with a space wolf over an inquisitor. Not that he'd have a choice.

A lot of people would side with them. Something that doesn't get mentioned in the fluff much is that the founding chapters tend to have ridiculously powerful allies, going all the way up to Terra. So declaring war on a founding chapter is dangerously close to declaring war on a huge chunk of the Imperium's civilian and military resources too.

In a way, it's kind of a shame none of the games go into this sort of stuff. It'd make for an excellent story. Instead it's always "Here's some Orks to fight. Whoops, turns out the Orks were a decoy, Chaos is the real bad guy." with a side offering of dickish Eldar thrown into the mix at times too. Relic especially was bad with that formula, instead changing out the Orks for Tyranids in DoW2.

Some of the most well written and acclaimed stories in the setting don't deal with insane turbo-nazi Chaos worshipers trying to destroy a planet but instead in how interesting and tragically screwed up imperial society is. Half the time when there's no threat to them they come up with a threat within their own ranks due to an insane inquisitor/general/governor/whatever trying to be a hero by their own hosed up standards. Take Eisenhorn for instance.

You could make some riveting and tragic fiction off of that instead of the generic "shoot mans claim glory" crap that we get. At the very least it's more likely to be more interesting than anything we'll get out of this game.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 23, 2014

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Wolves have allies within one of the Navigator houses (and provide bodyguards for their VIPs) on Terra, which one would imagine might cause some additional issues for other Imperial fleets sent to fight them if push came to shove.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I think there should be Imperial guard in this game but instead of a big bad rear end like the rest of the guys you should be a sergeant with a squad of npcs to command. Also valkyries and the mighty Leman Russ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Be sure to watch every episode in this series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2nM1GEllg

• Locked thread