Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

computer parts posted:

No worse than energy bending.

I always saw Energy Bending as an extension of Aang's ability to send his spirit into the Spirit World, so at the time it made a ton of sense to me. I do feel like it would've greatly benefited from Aang's time on the island being explored more in the series rather than the online game, and maybe even having the Wan flashbacks then, with some changes to make them relevant to Aangs story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Caros posted:

He'd learned them hundreds of times before. :colbert:

I love that the spiritual side of the show is such that this makes perfect sense for Aang learning quickly and Korra not.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

You misread that scene if you think it's evidence he survived. If anything it's evidence of a fate worse than death on the other side for him.

Also, though I don't think they ever directly state it, it's clear that the reason they were systemically killing Water Benders was because they were trying to find the Avatar, so Aang running away is indirectly responsible for Katara and Soka's mum dying.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The show has done poo poo ratings year after year and Nick decided to burn it off long before the season aired. Then it got even worse ratings than the modest ones they expected and tore it from the schedule so they could at least put a bigger ratings winner there.

They don't loving care that the season is slightly better than the others, they care that no one of value to them gives a poo poo about it. Thus, it got taken off air.

There's no big conspiracy or a gently caress up that resulted in this, it's just what happens when a show isn't doing as well as the network needs it too.

If I had to level a guess at why no one loving watches it on Nick? The female protagonist. The same reason why no one makes toys or other sources of revenue for the series.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

No gently caress up? Are you forgetting the part where they released it with a week's notice, with barely any marketing, in a timeslot that doesn't work for the demographic, and refused to put it up anywhere online? And you don't think there were any gently caress ups playing a part in how well it did this season?

No, I think that was all deliberate. And the ratings are actually in line with previous seasons drop-off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

No, they ordered them after Book One but before Book Two.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's what I said.

Yep, I misread what you wrote. Sorry man.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

In the original show bible, it said that all Airbenders' children were Airbenders. There were no non-Airbending Air Nomads, even from mixed marriages. But Aang had three kids and only one was an Airbender, so I guess they ditched that.

Maybe because he's the Avatars if muddled the spiritual genetics of it all?

Either that of Watercest is secretly canon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I really really hope people don't get this big huge idea into their head and they get super-angry when it isn't that.

"My daddy didn't like the Avatars so I'm going to end you now."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

i hate meatloaf posted:

Now that we know Unaloq was part of the Red Lotus, people are theorizing that Amon was a member as well.

It would be more interesting if the Lieutenant was a member placed within Amon's ranks to keep an eye on him then we could have him return. Not every member of the Red Lotus needs to be a bender do they?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Nah, independent of any creative choices made the actual DIRECTION was loving laughably bad, so even if someone stood Shyamalan in front of a rubbish looking house it's still him who took a big runny poo poo on the doorstep.

Don't forget that this is the guy who publicly announced he was changing how the names were pronounced.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ETB posted:

I don't know, I have a feeling Gyatso used some form of vacuum creation against the comet-enhanced Firebenders during the Air Nation invasion...

This has been the fan theory since Day One.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Have they ever spoken about their original plan with Iron if Mako hadn't passed away?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

I'd imagine it'd probably be roughly the same as it ended up. By keeping his appearances to a minimum, they had something that would force Zuko to grow and become his own man without having Iroh to lean on as a crutch throughout it all.

Having Iroh drill "you done hosed up" into his skull would be one thing; having Zuko come to realize it (mostly) on his own made his arc more compelling, in my opinion.

I figured maybe he would break out earlier and we would see him recruit some White Lotus people or even have some scenes of him talking to Ozai while captive. Keeping him and Zuko apart was definitely for the best, but it would've been interesting if they had utilized him in some other way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Zuko's mom never being resolved was the bravest loving writing in the series. I know they originally wanted to have a series of TV films to answer questions and tell one off stories but by having Zuko ask that question they basically set the mood for the final scenes as being triumphant but sombre. These characters are going to continue, there stories aren't over and the world will need rebuilding. It was awesome.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gangringo posted:

I always took the force lines to be clouds formed by the rapid change in air pressure.

If they ever attempt a live action film again then air bending should generate sonic booms and vapour trails.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

And the first quote from the guru pretty much settles speculation about Tenzin. Plus given the use of 'venom' in that first quote and the finale title it seems plausible that we've discovered the final plan.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 18, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

First Bass posted:

:psyduck: Am I the only person who can see thread titles?

No? What is this even a responce too?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I'm confused, how does that quote settle what happened to Tenzin?

The next episode is called 'Into the Void' and this part of the quote "New growth cannot exist without first the destruction of the old. The void is found in the sowing of death. From that death springs life on the wind" is pretty clearly talking about the death of a mentor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Speculation: Tenzin dies, enters the spirit world, Zaheer tries to possess Korra, Tenzin possess him instead and Korra spirit bends him out of existence.

Gharzan is about to lava bend Mako and Bolin but hesitates for a moment too long because of their time spent together earlier in the Book so Bolin pushes it back and leaves him horribly burned.

The rest of the Red Lotus survive and got to lick their wounds, with Opal as their new leader.

The final scenes of the season are Ming-Hua water healing Gharzan whose horribly scared while Opal says that they have a plan and all of Tenzin's family, with Korra and Zuko entering the spirit world to see him and Iron.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

You all have such thin skin. Just ignore it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What did you think of the finale?

I've not watched it yet, I'm away for work. I've not posted much this Book for the same reason but everything has been much improved so far.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Veotax posted:

Considering that it's a $20 downloadable game, probably a year or less.

Yeah, its probably going to suck and have no variety what so ever/be very short.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yeah, let's discuss the comics. What's going on with them these days? Has a new one come out or was the last one Zuko's search for his mum? What's the next one about?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Why are they trying to kill the show so badly? Scared of the adult demo for their kids show?

They are a business and this show makes them no money.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I see Platinum has managed to keep in the rapid-fire punching scene they do in every single game.

This doesn't really look or feel like an Avatars game. The bending effects are a little too fast and indistinct so they just seem like magic, meanwhile every move just seems like a ranged punch. What's the real difference here before the elements?

• Locked thread