Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Isn't it kind of a "thing" in TV where usually the first season is good or "okay", followed by a crap second season, and then things pick up again in the third and so on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Here's an article about how Platinum got around to signing on.

I guess the takeaway here is that no one at Nickelodeon knows how to use Aegisub.

What surprises me is that there isn't a dub for LOK like there is for the original show!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wow, it is incredible -- and a little bit sad how small the response this thread has gotten. I was kind of hoping that a bunch of people who were lurking earlier would come and post a bunch once the show aired. I remember in the first thread there'd be like three to five pages of live-posting and a ton of different responses from a lot of people afterwards. Now it seems it's dwindled to, like, maybe five people. :smith:

I don't have cable, so I'll be seeing the episodes tomorrow!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

seravid posted:

I'm enjoying the season so far; plot seems interesting, the humor's working and leaving 20s Gangster City behind was just about the best thing they could've done. Also enjoying goons here making GBS threads up the thread with complaints about how goons are going to poo poo up the thread sometime in the future.

Speaking of which:

:wtc:

Wait, what was wrong with this, exactly? :confused:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

i hate meatloaf posted:

I'm guessing it hatched from that golden egg relic he and Aang found at the Sun Warrior temple?

What, so he's Danaerys Targaryen? :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

NowonSA posted:

I also thought at first that it was Azulon in the prison, despite the fact that timeline-wise it'd make no sense.

The darker tone of the show is nice too. Granted, it was already pretty dark in the first season with a fraternal murder-suicide and an implied thought of suicide, but already we've got guards locked into a prison to starve or dehydrate to death, taking earth shurikens to the chest and getting tossed out into lava, along with a child soldier allegory. It really feels like the kid gloves are off for this season, and the creators are just going for it and making this the sort of show it should have been all along.

Remember when we thought that Amon would be a great chance for them to show a darker, more mature, more grey-nuanced political view of the implications of certain aspects of their culture? And then it turns out he's just the brother of another dude, and it's basically a superhero revenge story? I am just getting echoes of that sentiment in this statement right here -- I'd caution against getting too hopeful about "the kid gloves coming off".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

If Ba Sing Se is to scale, then the world is a very small place. The size of Belgium.

Yeah, that seems about right, given how quickly everyone seemed to be traversing the world.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I am sure you could train someone to simply bend the meat out of any creature on an industrial scale.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Pfft, the fact that he didn't say his parents were killed by firebenders was the biggest indication that he was lying.

I like how the little play they put on with Mako the firebending villain was probably hella racist by this world's standards.

A man from the crowd shouts "Hey! That's offensive! Some of my best friends are firebenders!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Have you guys never watched/read a shonen anime/manga before? LoK pretty much follows the standard shonen power-creep model to the tee. In the first series, bloodbending was like this "Oooh, super scary, super-strong forbidden art :zombie:", same as lightningbending and metalbending. So in order to make new antagonists seem like a credible threat after the time-skip, they had to show these as more common-place and try to push it the next step up with psychic versions of the same techniques. It's just like in Bleach, One Piece, or Naruto!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Brightman posted:

There's probably mass produced books on bending techniques, rather than handwritten scrolls that are hard to come by. A bender could just buy Earth Bending for Dummies instead of tracking down a master to teach them. There's probably even be classes for it and poo poo. Better dissemination of information allows for advancement and such.

21st century Avatar World: "Ah, so stressful! I have to drop the kids off at Probending practice before I rush to my Earthbendaerobics class!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

I seem to remember DBZ was nothing but power creeping. There were no other plotlines. They either discussed how they were getting bulked up or they were talking about how bulked up they were going to get.

But LOK isn't an anime.

It totally is an anime! :haw:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Squall posted:

I imagine with air benders actually wide spread we should see either 4v4 pro bending or 3v3 with a choice of any 3 elements.

More pro bending please

Please, no. It was just so artificial and constrained, I found it completely boring in S1.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

You can only bend the colored air that comes out of dispensers in the floor.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic that Book III may fix some of the issues of Book II; the fights are so far fun and they have a lot of room to work with for writing an engaging story though I can already see how a few of the plot threads might turn out.

My Predictions:
-Thief Airbender kid probably reforms and becomes a good guy; with the possibility of being distracted and joins the evil guys first before turning good again because conflict.
-Evil Airbender guy might also probably turn good and be a leader of the air nomads or is redeemed performing some sort of heroic sacrifice realizing what he's done wrong; its too early to tell.

I think there's something of a theme being set up how people with murky pasts can discard it and move on towards a better future; we see this with the reminder of Mako's and Bolin's backstory as street hoodlums and it just seems very obvious to me that they are setting this up in some fashion for the two principle airbender characters.

I think it would be clever if the kid turned out to be evil and the older guy gets redeemed but I don't expect that level of writing from this show; but I think its been a point that people are defined by their choices, so one turns good and the other evil.

I really really groaned though with how badly they bungled trying to recruit airbenders though, I have to say.

Or the kid could join the old guy and they can both be evil together! It'd be like a dark Iroh/Zuko team!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Anyone else think we're gonna get a badass 80 year old Toph in the finale, since they established "she went off to have an adventure and no one knows where she is now!"

She set off for the Grand Line in search of Gol D. Roger's treasure and became the Pirate King!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Actually, the fight scenes were the only reason I really watched ATLA or Korra; I heard that there was cool, well-choreographed kung fu magic fights in it and it sounded neat.

Also, I can name at least one super-cool long fight scene from ATLA: The confrontation between the Gaang and Azula in the dusty abandoned town. That was an awesome fight. Either one big fight, or more short ones, would be great, but it's the kind of thing you can only pull off in a show with the episodes to support it. As long as they're sticking to the godawful 13 episode format, all the fights are going to be rather quick and unfulfilling.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sithsaber posted:

You guys do know that this fight was the bplot, right?

Actually, it's very important -- this is power levels discussion, a staple of any ADTRW shonen anime thread! We really need to hash out who would be able to beat whom, and why.:haw:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's worth pointing out that the wealthy noble on the run has diddly squat to her name save her inordinate skill in martial arts, while the wealthy industrialist can literally pull planes, hotrod cars and massive dirigibles out of nowhere.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

King of Foolians posted:

AIRBENDING SLICE!

I think you mean "GETSUGA TENSHOU!" :v:

The impressive debate between ImpAtom and Ferrinus (bravo!) reminded me of something: weren't the spirit world and the material world supposed to be overlapping now? What's happened to all the spirits? Did we just drop the spirit thing after episode one, or what? Are there no spirits in Ba Sing Se?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Why do they have to have a romance subplot in every single season? Is it to satisfy some kind of basic contractual requirement? ATLA never played up the shipping angle as heavily as Korra did.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

How in the world would you bend the void and what would it even do or look like? No idea whatsoever. :buddy:

Voidbenders warp space itself and can literally teleport from one place to another, dilate or accelerate time, or create rifts in the spacetime continuum.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I sorta figure there's like two arrows kinda corkscrewing around the shaft like some kind of funky caduceus.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Not really germane to the current discussion, but the fight scene between Suyin and Lin was pretty neat to watch. Lin's style of bending is much more rough-and-ready than Suyin's, which struck me as more artistic and graceful. Suyin definitely seems to be somewhat more proficient at metalbending than Lin. Although it could be because Lin was suffering from a lot of stress at the time, so her techniques weren't quite as polished as they could've been, it's still kind of neat to see the difference in styles between the two.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Maybe it's a somewhat ironic title, and she actually dies. "The Queen is dead! Long live the Queen!"

*Combustion Woman is made Queen*

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

pentyne posted:

Given how chaotic the world had been for the last 100 years, the vast majority of Avatar lives would probably favor ruling with an iron fist.

Kiyoshi is the Avatar the world needed then, and now. :911:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Wait, is that a real panel? Like, she's not tripping on cactus juice or something? Also, I'd really like to see the Avatar, maybe the next one, be the primary antagonist especially now that he or she doesn't have ten thousand years of people telling them not to completely abuse the power.

Yeah, it's just a silly fan-comic someone drew, even if their style is really really close to the original!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Burn Nickelodeon to the ground.

Have a firebender kill their parents.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Silynt posted:

As what I've wanted to see most ever since her reintroduction is a Zhu Li fight scene, I was hoping she'd chip in this time. I wonder if she's lives up to the "cold, heartless war machine" moniker that Varrick gave her last season.

She's a nonbender, isn't she? What's she gonna do, pull out some chi-blocker moves or something?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Have to admit that I've always wanted to see a waterbender punch blasts of superheated steam at someone!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think Airbending's thing is "Astral Projection". Kind of fitting it'd be the least "offensive" of the special-type bendings.

Also-- Poor Zhu Li. She works so hard. :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Because the atmosphere has oxygen in it.

Yeah, but what's burning? Oxygen is a strong reducing agent, which is why it's so combustible with other materials, but what is being oxidized?

I know, I know, "Don't think about it, it's chi magic stuff". Still, it just sort of demonstrates that that sort of nitpick is irrelevant.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Just like Waterbenders can shift from ice to water to steam, shouldn't it theoretically be possible to shift from rock to lava to... superheated silicate vapor? If so, uh, holy poo poo. :stare:

EDIT: The boiling point of SiO2 (the main component of most rocks) is 2,230 degrees C. A jet of silicon dioxide vapor would be able to melt through solid steel.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 27, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:tviv: pretty aptly describes me when I first realized that OMG she is curving the combustion beam!!! That was fantastic and a completely unexpected and original take on an original series power. That's the kind of thing I was sort of hoping to see more of at the beginning of LoK -- a new age of twists, variations and mixing of bending styles to coincide with the new age of electricity and industrialization.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You could actually say all four of the Red Lotus are like that. Ming-Hua has her always-on tentacle-arms, Ghazan has Lavabending (which unlike the original series seems to be directly making and controlling it), and Zaheer is an aggressive and offensive-based Airbender.

Yeah, I suppose so. I guess I've yet to be really impressed by Ming Hua's waterbending, since aside from her arms being there so she can manipulate things, she seems to stick to regular waterbender sort of tricks. But Ghazan is :black101: as hell, and so is Zaheer. I really like all of them!

(Though I wish that P'Li's combustion bolts had the same kind of audio resonance that Combustion Man's had. Maybe she fires weaker ones more rapidly? They don't sound as "thunderous" I feel.)

EDIT: Oh yeah! A neat thing that I noticed was that P'Li actually caught Mako's fire blast, waterbender-style. It was really cool, and I halfway expected her to redirect it back to him. That was awesome too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

In the original show bible, it said that all Airbenders' children were Airbenders. There were no non-Airbending Air Nomads, even from mixed marriages. But Aang had three kids and only one was an Airbender, so I guess they ditched that.

On the other hand, all Tenzin's kids are Airbenders. Maybe they meant that Airbenders with Airbenders or Airbenders with nonbenders would only produce Airbenders?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think it's definitely possible that Suyin was once a member of Zaheer's group, or at least affiliated with them, but her actions thwarting their kidnapping attempt show that, if she was, she isn't now.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jorghnassen posted:

The San Diego Comic Con preview of the remaining episodes that was quickly put together is now available on Youtube

Whoa. WHOA Korra in the Hannibal Lecter straitjacket/mask. :stare: :jerky:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think that's what the Red Lotus wants; If they can kill her in the millisecond it takes to break out of the restraints, no more Avatars ever.

Wouldn't it be basically just like when Wan died, and Raava would just find a new host?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe I got too much GoT on the brain especially from having played a hell of a lot of Crusader Kings recently but he is very clearly the guest of a fairly powerful and influential governor(?)/Noble and generally outside their jurisdiction; political asylum is probably a decent enough parallel.

Imprisoning Varrick would give the Earth Queen a -20 Tyranny penalty with all vassals, so the proper way to deal with him is to start a plot to assassinate him and bribe enough people to join your plot. However, Zhao Fu's 20 Intrigue spymaster has been caught in a plot of his own and escaped, so the chance of a successful assassination firing against Varrick is low.

• Locked thread