Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/i-played-with-fire-in-platinum-game-s-the-legend-of-korra/1100-6420711/

I am so loving hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I totally skipped season 2 since season 1 just let me down so hard. I don't know if I should try again. God dammit, so much wasted potential. And I recently did a rewatch of the entire original series, and it still lives up to how much I originally loved it.

You should probably just power through Season 2. The back half of it is pretty good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Aces High posted:

naaaah he's going to be fun to watch. Gotta say that so far I am impressed with how quickly they turned Bolin's character around. He still has bits of the "I'm a celebrity now" that he picked up throughout Season 2 but thankfully he lost the arrogance it brought him, guess that's what happens when your boss tries to assassinate the president. It's also nice to see him just being his normal goofball self and not trying to impress anyone or try to hit on every girl he sees. Not that I didn't enjoy him acting that way in Season 1 but there he seemed only interested in Korra and once that didn't work out he just became the animal guy, which was fine and seems to have returned here :3:

The Lampshade they throw on this is pretty great.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sithsaber posted:

Jinora needs to be kept occupied now that she isn't a weirdo spirit loner.

Now she can be a weirdo spirit 12 year old in love.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

meristem posted:

I think that what dj_clawson may to some extent mean is power creep - remember how lightning was a big deal in ATLA, Zuko himself couldn't do it, and that was a big deal in itself, etc. etc.? And then in Korra Book 1 Mako used it to power a power station. To me, at least, it felt... well, wrong and disrespectful, in a way, of the original series.

It could be the difference of perceiving bending as art vs. craft. Arts require intuition and a genius. Crafts can be taught and learnt.

Why?

poo poo advances all of the time. 50 years ago, my grandparents were using a loving washing board and hang drying their clothes. Nowdays we have washing machines. 50 years ago radios were the poo poo. nowadays we are carrying phones which are able to connect wirelessly to a global network and pull information from anywhere in the world.

It's not disrespectful, just people better understanding how things work as years go by.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The major thing with Lin's sister is that Lin isn't avoiding her because she knows her sister is Secretly Evil or whatever. Lin just genuinely has serious family issues with her but we're not given even the smallest indication that Lin doesn't trust her sister. She just dislikes her. So even though there's not an unreasonable chance she isn't a nice as she appears, Korra has no reason to doubt her because even the most negative member of the team when it comes to her doesn't find her dangerous. (And Lin finds everything dangerous.)

Seriously, If Lin didn't deep down trust her sister no loving way would she have let the Avatar who is being hunted go out by herself, while she stayed behind.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

As I said before, Zuko was never really that impressive as a bender. He got clowned in the first episode and by the last season he was either hiring Combustion Man or working in tandem with other characters to be effective. He was better than the rank-and-file but he was probably the worst Major Character Bender in the show. Which sounds worse than it is when you consider pretty much every other major bender was some kind of super-prodigy. Even with the required Old Man Boost, he probably isn't going to be pulling off crazy super-poo poo like even his Uncle did. However he seems to be a pretty drat effective leader and has managed to avoid killing/maiming a whole bunch of people which puts him one up on his grandfather, father, and sister.

Toph however is a fan favorite and if she shows up it is going to be to drop a mountain on someone.

Eh?

Zuko and Katara were pretty much equal in terms of bending and fighting ability.

Water just leads itself to more impressive looking feats when a large chunk of the series takes place around large quantities of it(Snow/Ocean/Random Rivers).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Zuko was raised as a soldier and Firebender and given personal instruction by his talented uncle Iroh. Katara was an untrained and uneducated waterbender who was discouraged from using her powers. I think it's fairly safe to say that Katara's rate of growth and displayed talent pretty much dwarfs Zuko's considering that in less than a year she went from complete novice to seemingly a master-level talent.

Her rate of growth was impressive, but throughout the entire series baring when she was superpowered by the moon, Zuko would consistently either beat or at worse draw her.

Katara caught up with him quickly but she never surpassed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

She didn't have many fights with Zuko but she had fights with other characters and demonstrated a level of skill comparable with the Avatar and "literally redefines bending she's so good at it" Toph. By the time we get to Korra she's recognized as the "best in the world." Also she instantly is able to grasp and even counter Bloodbending which is itself an advanced and difficult to learn waterbending technique.

If you honestly chart Katara's growth over the course of the series it's absolutely absurd and probably more a side effect of the short timeframe than anything else. Although her brother basically pulls the same stuff with becoming a master swordsman basically overnight so maybe her entire family are just super-talented geniuses and Aang's genes watered it down.

She was never shown to being anywhere near as good as Toph or even Aang. Aang's growth was even crazier than Katara's Aang literally learned and masted 3 styles of bending he had never done before in less than a year's time. Either Aang, Toph or Azula were the best Benders that we saw a bunch of in the show, Leaning towards Azula as I don't think she ever lost when she wasn't blindsided or crazy.

• Locked thread