Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just started watching Avatar, first time I've seen it. It's decent so far, but a lot of the humour is just so goofy and cringeworthy. The whole episode with the old crazy earthbender king was so goddamn corny. I know it's a kids show, and I do think it's been mostly alright so far (wonderfully animated, of course), but it's not quite living up to its reputation. Does it take a while for the show to find its groove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm still waiting for a waterbender to cast horrid wilting on somebody.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've been binge-watching TLA and Korra over the past few weeks and I gotta say I don't get why people are so down on Korra. The love triangle stuff is very poorly done, but the action and overall style and direction of Korra season 1 is way loving better than TLA season 1, most of which I really had to force myself to sit through. What an amazing start to a show this is. Based on this thread I gather season 2 is the low point, but hooooow bad can it really be? :allears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Genocyber posted:

The right is done by Studio Pierrot who did like 2/3 of the episodes for season 2.

I've seen the comparison shots and they look pretty bad, but I'm not sure I'll notice it in practice. Korra already looks so much better than the SD/4:3 TLA by default that I don't think it'll bother me on a first viewing.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Just wait til the saddest story you'll ever hear.

Also a lot of us treat Korra s1 as the 4th season of Avatar, and that had certain built-up expectations attached to it.

Sure, that makes sense. I'm actually surprised at how little Korra ties back to TLA (like mainly the fact that there's no real "avatar quest" going on), but I like that it's smaller in scope and the ways in which they explore bending in a societal context are really clever and creative. Also Amon was a great, scary villain.

I do admit that now I really want an interrim show based around the old Avatar gang establishing Republic City.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 15, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I'm halfway through season 2 now and it's not great. Unalaq is a boring character and all the b-plots with Tenzin's wacky vacation adventures just feel completely out of place. And now... amnesia!

Still, Aubrey Plaza :allears:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra are fundamentally different shows despite being part of the same franchise.

This is true, and I think both shows are better for it honestly, even if Korra stumbles on some parts.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

I always felt the back half of Season 2 was pretty decent. I will agree the Nuk Tuk stuff was silly, but it was very much a plot point to give Bolin something to do that wasn't involving the main story.

The Nuk Tuk stuff was fine and came to a really fun conclusion. Bolin was a pretty useless character overall, but at least he wasn't Mako who is just The Worst. I just finished season 2 and yeah the back half was pretty good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Korra was clearly made to appeal to kids who grew up with TLA but have since gotten older. It's not really a surprise that there's more of a romance angle.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I do think it's funny that half the principal cast of this kids show is comprised of middle-aged fuckups. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Kyoshi flat-out told Aang that even if she wasn't completely prepared to kill Chin if it came to it, him dying by "accident" was still an acceptable solution to her problem. If she was trying to explain some version of "justice" that didn't result from her enemies' deaths, well, she did a pretty poor job of it.

That's not what she said. Aang wanted to try and absolve her of it by claiming that it was an accident and Kyoshi said she didn't really see the difference. She took responsibility and was prepared to kill him either way.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 22, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sydin posted:

It would make zero sense not to air Book 4. It's already been funded and is in production. Airing it with abysmal ratings will still recoup more cost than not airing it at all.

Not if they sold the rights. This exact thing happened with Clone Wars.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally the worst way to handle this and isn't going to help any rumors at all.

What rumors? It says exactly what's going to happen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think this is a good move, but I am still sad that it's come to this. I watched the entirety of TLA and Korra over the course of the past month or so, and they're such good shows. Even with the pierrot episodes, and a really uneven second season overall, Korra pretty much represents the current pinnacle of western animated television for me. It frankly deserves better. I hope this gets it out to more people, because frankly it was only by sheer luck that I saw the trailer for season 3 and thought "you know I should probably check out this Avatar thing".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Veotax posted:

Footage of the Platinum Korra game from Comic Con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRYc1p00m0

It looks easy, but the demo is probably on the 'I don't play character action games' setting.

Yeah, that looks loving awesome. They basically just remade Metal Gear Rising but with bending powers.

Also it's a Platinum game I wouldn't worry about it being easy. Obviously there's a casual option since it's based on a kids show, but c'mon.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TheModernAmerican posted:

So I'm giving the show a chance after marathoning The Last Airbender in five days and I'm already about to quit after seven episodes. I'd rather not get into an argument that you guys have probably had a thousand times, let's just say my opinions are my own. The real question is, does the show get any better and if that's the case, how long does it take to ramp up and is it worth the wait?

E: that half assed "scream" Korea had as she fell in the pro bending arena was one of the best laughs I've had in ages. "Ahhh... ehhhhhhh..."

I'm in a similar situation, as I marathoned both Avatar and Korra over the past month or so, and I gotta say if you don't like the first season of Korra then it's pretty much all downhill from there until season 3. Those two episodes that were called the best of the entire franchise didn't really do it for me, but I also loved the first season, so YMMV.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watch season 2, it's a downturn for the series, but I enjoyed most of it, and it's a quick watch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Its amazing how much goons love Varrick considering how he's essentially a Howard Roark-esque character living by and preaching an Objectivist philosophy.

He's also a comic relief buffoon, which is probably why people love him and not because they subscribe to his life philosophies you goddamn goon.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is that the guy whose voice didn't fit him?

Yeah, they reused Zuko's voice actor, whose voice hilariously hasn't changed in like 10 years, so it doesn't fit the character at all. Not that I think it's a big deal, it's just kind of weird. He was last seen helping out with the Unalaq situation, but didn't really get a proper exit IIRC.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh gently caress I forgot he was Rufio, how could this happen? :negative:

Bangarang, my friend :911:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Randomly saw this Toph/Lin fanart and thought it was pretty :3:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So I think we can all agree now that it's good that The Legend of Korra got made, right?

I watched my first episode of Avatar a few months ago. Straight up, I think Korra season 3 is the best one in the entire franchise. Season 2 of TLA was mostly really great, but here it felt like they were truly pulling out all the stops - there was so much emotion and just a really satisfying arc with a phenomenal finish. Absolutely incredible.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Combed Thunderclap posted:

By the way, if I want to get an friend who's an adult into ATLA, where should I have them begin? I've tried watching from ATLA Book 1 and Season 1 Episode 1 still definitely feels like a kid's show. Maybe I'm being stupid but I'd be kinda embarrassed to recommend it to someone starting at that point.

I watched through the entirety of TLA with a friend just a few months ago for the first time. There are no two ways about it, that first season is mostly pretty crappy aside from the animation. You can't make someone watch it if they don't like it, but just make sure they know that it improves A LOT and it helps if they are into animation at all.

You could also just watch Korra S1 (and I'd say the people calling it terrible are out of their loving minds, it's so much better than TLA S1 it's not even a contest) and then go back if they really like it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The animation in ATLA is obviously still great, even in the first season, but the actual drawings look kind of cheap and low detail a lot of the time in ways that Korra doesn't. Much of this is probably due to SD and advances in digital colouring, but going from one to the other in rapid succession as I did was an enormous goddamn sea change.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Are we sure those are from book 4? Could they theoretically not be content cut from 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Christ, they're really just trying to get it out the door aren't they? How long of a production time did it have? They must have made it almost concurrently with the third season, right? I don't remember ever seeing such a quick turn-around for an animated show, especially one with this level of animation.

• Locked thread