Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Yes indeed

Probably because I'm the most naïve sucker, I'm actually kind of excited about the premier today.

Surprising, because Season 2 left me feeling really numb. It was the deus ex machina combined with the fact that I still don't care about any of the characters.

Is it unpopular to say that I really loving hate Bumi? I think manchildren can potentially be funny, but he sure as poo poo isn't. And according to the preview, he's doing more of the same childlike poo poo, and his voice actor has the same gratingly awkward cadence. I don't blame Tenzin for being a fuddy-duddy who barely tolerates him, I'd probably be the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I think Mako could potentially be redeemed, but they really demolished Bolin's likeability in S2.

It's the same problem with Bumi -- they go way, way too far in trying to make these characters lovable idiots, to the point where they're too impossibly stupid to fit into a dramatic plot.

Sokka was a goofball, but he was quite smart, and he switched to responsible-big-brother mode often enough.

It's hard for me to believe the creators suddenly forgot how to write good characters. I kind of want to blame the fact that they were going for a darker story with a slightly older cast, but I think a lot of it is -- as others have said -- the seasons are so short that they don't have enough time to draw out characters.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Fifty Three posted:

Wait, the right half is a shot from the game, not S2 right? How do I not remember it being that awful?

That pic was floating around way before the game was announced. Not sure what ep it's from though.

thexerox123 posted:

I think it's more due to the fact that the creators had other writers involved for Avatar who knew how to write good characters...

Compare the first few writing credits (of many) for Avatar:

Aaron Ehasz was head writer for Avatar, whereas I don't think they have any head writer for Korra.

Ah yeah, good call. Forgot all about that.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I thought the plot started getting a bit more compelling when they got to the northern water tribe.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I really enjoyed these last two episodes, quite possibly more than anything in season 1. The bending fights are fantastic, and I'm really interested in where they're going with these villains. What a difference it makes when a show's villains are interesting and not, say, Unalaq. Ditto to whoever praised Zaheer's voice acting, he is perfect.

Like I expected when I saw the trailer, female characters seem way more prominent than they were last season...among several other welcome changes.

Why the hell doesn't the Nick website have season 3 streaming? Really trying to support this show, with how badly it's being treated by the network, but they're not giving me many options.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 13, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Barlow posted:

This is the crux of the issue. Remember ATLA had issues with anyone ever explicitly dieing, which they did a great job of parodying with the scene about Jet in the Ember Island players episode. It's also the reason the characters on the show kept using cute little euphemisms about the need to "end you."

Also, Katara saying that firebenders "took her mother away."

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
gently caress Nickelodeon forever. This probably means gently caress-all coming from someone way outside their target demo, but I am never again in my life watching Nickelodeon or visiting their dumbass website. The way they have treated this show is beyond the pale.

Seriously, put it online. I will buy every episode from this season; I have enjoyed it that much (I was going to do exactly this before I realized Amazon doesn't have all the episodes). Put it on Netflix, I'll buy a subscription just to watch it.

I guess this fiasco couldn't have happened at a better time, what with this being the best season yet. I'm not being sarcastic; I think that means more people will be motivated to support the show.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Eh, I've seen a tutorial from a Photoshop programmer where the programmer acknowledged that some users would buy Photoshop and some would torrent it (without saying anything negative about the second option). So it really doesn't surprise me that some creative types have come to terms with what's actually happening.

I mean, surely they know we're not all going to be home watching Korra at 6 pm (for me) on a Friday night. At 6 pm, I'm just starting my commute home from work.

Not that I have a Nielsen box anyway. God, now that I think about it, it's mind-blowing that it's 2014, and only a relative handful of people are being factored into television ratings.

A friend also tells me that this season hasn't been available for him on demand, unlike previous seasons. The rollout of this season has been bungled in every possible way it can be bungled.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 24, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

NowonSA posted:

The only really happy ending I see to this is if the creators are able to get the rights to the Avatar universe IP (which they may already have, who knows) and after book 4 wraps, they pitch a new Avatar show to a network like Netflix or even Cartoon Network, someplace that will see older viewers as an asset rather than a burden. If I were them, I'd time jump ahead to having the world be completely modern technologically, including (depending on how adult they want to make the series) the presence of guns.

If I wanted to watch a show with guns, I'd watch one of the million other shows with guns. I watch Avatar/Korra to see flashy elemental magic powers.

The only "adult" thing they could add in that I would actually want is the ability to freely say "die" and "kill." And they've already done that a few times anyway.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
This thread needs more images. Here, some fanart posted on Bryan Konietzko's Tumblr

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Some random observations.

It seems like, during the epic battle in this ep, Ming-Hua develops a grudge against Mako that would explain why she appeared to be trying to kill him in the season trailer. When Lin is trying to escape the Red Lotus with Korra, and Ming-Hua grabs Lin's leg with one of her water-arms, Mako blasts the water-arm apart and frees Lin. Then, Ming-Hua turns toward him, as if pissed.

Another thing I didn't notice at first: When the Red Lotus is standing on their little metal fortress with the lava moat surrounding them, it resembles a lotus floating in a pond. Cool touch, creators.

That one mook guard who grabbed and pulled Zaheer away in the beginning was the loving MVP of the fight. If he hadn't done that, Zaheer would have succeeded in creating a cloud of cover and then vanished with Korra.

This fight is one you want to watch over and over again. I really hope the Red Lotus saga continues in season 4, because this is really loving good and should not end in another five eps.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 27, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Tezzor posted:

AVClub can't stop bitching about Rollins' performance but I think it is perfect.

Yeah, I really don't get where that guy's coming from (and most of AV Club's commenters don't seem to either).

Some of the dialogue written for him could use some work (as has been discussed), but I've overall been impressed with his delivery.

Just saw the last two episodes. I don't think I've ever been as excited to see where things are going, between LOK and ATLA, as I am now.

And to all those people saying Zaheer and company will get defeated by this season's end, you shut your filthy mouths. I can't get enough of these guys, and I might just want to see an Azula-in-ATLA-season-2-style bad guy victory to close this out before the story resumes in season 4. And if they could throw in a short focusing entirely on them and their interactions with one another behind the scenes, that would make my whole year.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I definitely didn't notice any leak, before I watched it on Amazon this morning. (While getting ready for work. Stupid kids' show has me addicted. :smith:)

"As long as I'm breathing, it's not over." Might want to watch who you're saying that to, Tenzin. :stare:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
It's up on Amazon.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Oh god, a finale in the new Fire Nation. :dance:

They actually had me going thinking they had killed off Kai. But I guess I should have known better, since all it looks like he did was briefly stun P'Li with a small gust of wind. Most heroic sacrifices on these kind of shows are worth more than that.

The fights were a lot of fun. God drat, that icicle helicopter blade thing Ming Hua was doing. Hard to tell who got a worse match-up between Kya and Bumi.

Another thing...Bolin seemed oddly easygoing at the beginning of the ep, considering how dire the warning they had been given by Zaheer was.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 15, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Sydin posted:

I actually wished Iroh had stuck around a bit longer. He was the grand master of the White Lotus in the last series, and it would have been an interesting moment for Korra to reveal the White/Red Lotus split, and that members originally of his old order were the main villains. Iroh's reaction would have been an interesting character moment.

I don't think Korra would have allowed him to take up that much of her time, considering how urgent the situation was.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Can we take a moment to talk about how awesome Ghazan is? Nobody knows how to handle that guy.

Uh, biting him seemed to work pretty well? I think Meelo can handle that.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
The AV Club reviewer is calling this the best season of the entire Avatar franchise.

Maybe ATLA isn't as fresh in my mind, but I'm inclined to agree. I was never as excited in that series as I am for this season.

Finale, please don't be a huge letdown!

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I figured the airbenders were still stranded, because the bison got spooked.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I rewatched the whole air nation siege, and I think Kai screwed up. He should have gone behind the airship, where P'Li had no chance of hitting him, and then tried to knock the airship hard enough that P'Li (who is perched right up to the edge) would fall over. Even if he didn't succeed in knocking her off, she would be distracted by having to avoid falling off the edge, and Kai would still be in a much safer position than flying in her line of sight.

Then again, considering how weak the gust was that he hit P'Li with, he might not be strong enough to pull it off. Time to earn those tattoos, Jinora!

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Part of what has made the Red Lotus almost sympathetic is that they struggle and face setbacks just like the heroes do. They've hardly been invincible (in fact, one of the most memorable moments for me was Zaheer crying out "We failed!" after they lost Korra at Zaofu).

And yeah, it's way more engaging than an antagonist that is virtually untouchable (Amon, Fire Lord Ozai) until the finale.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

First Bass posted:

I keep checking the thread hoping to see if the finale got leaked, and I'm treated to this poo poo. Only 5 more days :sigh:

The Zaheerforthepeople tumblr leaked (?) a spooky quote from "the journals of Xai Bau" that may relate to what the Red Lotus has in store for Korra, if that interests you :shrug:

No clue if it's legit or not.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I initially thought it meant that the person entering the void had to die, but that is an interesting take -- it is written ambiguously enough that it could mean that they would need to take the life of someone else.

One of the going theories is that Zaheer is trying to resurrect either Xai Bau or Guru Laghima in another physical body (Korra's, I guess?). But we would still need to know why it's so important that their spirit ends up in the body of the Avatar. If they just need any old physical body, it seems like they're making things unnecessarily hard on themselves, when they could just put one of the guys in Aiwei. I guess, if they succeed, having the Avatar on your side would make destroying world governments a lot easier.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I don't think I've ever found Tenzin annoying. I've always found his fuddy-duddiness understandable on some level, and his mannerisms/JK Simmons' spot-on delivery always make me laugh (That head-shaving gag was the funniest in the series so far).

I love Tenzin, but I'm torn between my interest in seeing him survive for me to enjoy throughout another season and my primal need for poo poo to get real. :smith:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I've considered that too, but there could be a reasonable time skip of however many months between seasons 3 and 4, during which time the worst part of the grieving process could have taken place off-screen. It would still be drat near one of the most tragic things ever shown on what is ostensibly still a children's cartoon, but I can still see it happening.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Hey, if Harmonic Convergence happened and spirits can enter the human world freely, what's stopping Iroh from coming to visit Zuko? Does the old man not count as a spirit, or am I missing some fantasy spirit logic here?

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Oh, apparently an AV Club writer got a review copy (They do that?) of the finale, and he tweeted this: "@EricThurm: the finale might be the best thing I'll watch all year I teared up a bit it was so awesome"

Get hyped?

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
While we're dicking around with stupid poo poo, here's a parody tumblr account with Zaheer's nonsensical words of wisdom

Zaheer posted:

True strength, despite popular belief, is actually actually strength. That is a double positive. Strength is not weakness, in fact they are antonyms. What are antonyms? Look into yourself and you will realize, a synonym is the opposite of an antonym.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Bout time for some bitchin fan art

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I'm kind of impressed there haven't been any real spoilers for the finale so far, given this show's track record with leaks.

But with all of the production crew and advanced-copy reviewers saying this finale is "intense" or a "doozy," I'm now convinced at least one major character is going to die.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Going by the Nickelodeon forums, I'd expect that most of the people who visit the site (to do anything but watch episodes) are preteens. I'm not really worried about 11-year-olds obsessing over fictional romance.

So on a similar note, the great people at the Korra Nation tumblr uploaded a short animated gif of Zaheer freaking out and screaming something. So the lip-readers of tumblr decided he's saying "P'Li," and now P'Li is totally going to die.

If they want to milk Zaheer's relationship with P'Li for some dramatic tension, I feel like they should have mentioned it at some point in the season, apart from the episode she was introduced. It wouldn't surprise me if a number of viewers have forgotten they're supposed to be a couple.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 22, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
The episodes are supposed to be on Nick.com at noon EST.

But if you're not a chump and you bought the eps on Amazon, they'll probably be up sometime in the early hours of the morning.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I really didn't like it.

Nothing was lost. No real sacrifice was made. And I hate that the Red Lotus' plan for Korra was the very first thing you would think of -- I was actually imagining (and hoping for) some complex, eerie Spirit World shenanigans. We never did get to see Guru Laghima or Xai Bau.

I also hate that the Red Lotus was completely defeated; what a waste of a great group of villains that has given us so many cool fight scenes. And it feels like a cop-out to try to humanize these guys in the way they did, but not having that lead into anything in the finale.

Also, there's no way to make flying Zaheer not comical. That straight up turned into DBZ.

Still a great season, but drat, they can never wrap these things up, can they?

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 22, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

1. She's in a wheelchair

2. They explicitly said that Red Lotus members are still at large though

and yeah that cut when P'Li got owned was real awkward

1. Yeah, but I can't imagine she's going to stay in that wheelchair. I wasn't expecting the good guys to come out relatively unscathed.

2. I meant the four members of the Red Lotus that we've seen this season.

On another note, what up now, Suyin-is-a-traitor conspiracists??

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 22, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Okay, so what was up with that one Metal Clan lady? Kuvira or whatever? She had like a three-second-long scene where she asked to join the rescue party, and that was it.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Hauldren Collider posted:

Also, we never saw Toph....

I don't think we saw Katara either, even though it ended on her granddaughter's airbending master ceremony.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I'd hate to be the people who had to deal with P'Li's remains. Yikes.

Feels like Zaheer should have been a lot more broken up about his longtime girlfriend dying like she did. It was set up with so little emotional payoff.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Toshimo posted:

You didn't get the message. Her sacrifice made him able to fly. It was the last earthly bond for him to cut.

Fine, FINE, I just think they could have sold that a little better. :colbert:

I hate being a naysayer. Maybe this finale will grow on me with a couple rewatches.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

VanSandman posted:

I don't get how you missed that they sold it. He explicitly stated losing all earthly attachments would let him motherfucking fly. His buddies acting all indignant as if it was a secret ability he hadn't told them about was great too.

Because he went from horrified and distraught to completely stone-faced. If I were writing it, I'd have him take some shallow breaths while struggling to compose himself, as he repeats "Let go of your earthly tether, enter the void" over and over. It shouldn't be easy to let go of P'Li, seconds after watching her die graphically, so we should see that it isn't easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I've grown to tolerate Bolin's jokes more, but I was pretty miffed at the put-a-sock-in-it thing at the end. I'm not a fan of spending the last scene humiliating villains who have been dignified threats throughout the series -- and I know they did that with Fire Lord Ozai, but I thought Ozai was boring anyway so it didn't bother me as much.

• Locked thread