Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Wow, I had always thought the bitching about the studios was dumb goonspeak, but wowowowowowoww, that's just bad man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Tenzin legitimately thinks all the things he mentioned are great. He is legitimately confused why you wouldn't want an Air Bison as a best friend.

And to be honest, so am I. <:mad:>

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Superstring posted:

Gotta admit. The vegetarian thing would give me pause.

He really did sell it poorly. He could have told them that they'd be able to wander the world as awesome nomads who could fly and commune with the spirits and other cool poo poo oh and you can't eat meat b/c spiritual reasons.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Can you imagine what a skybison slaughterhouse would be like.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Nat posted:

I think everyone was hoping that Zuko was going to basically become Iroh 2 and be a comparatively wise and great bender in his advanced age, and it's kind of disappointing that, again, he's just there to get beaten up to prove what incredible threats these bad guys are.

I don't know why fans would be inclined to think like this though (outside of the usual, fanfic-ish wish-fulfillment). What I've always liked about Zuko and his whole character arc was that, while he was the weakest bender in the royal household, he was the best fit to be the household's head and lead the whole nation. By the end of TLA I really got the sense that the Fire Nation was on the right path because Zuko had gotten over his whole deal with being an incompetent bender (relatively speaking) because he realized he was a very competent person. Which says a lot, because in a world where people can literally bend the elements to their whims it would be easy to conflate being a good/capable bender with being a good/capable person.

e: So him getting his rear end beat by Team Bad Squad, while disheartening, isn't really that much of a loss when we consider the bigger context surrounding the situation. That Firelord Zuko managed to cooperate with the Water Nation (and presumably the other nations/White Lotus) to reign in these dudes is a tremendous diplomatic development when just a generation ago the Fire Nation was locked in total war with everyone else.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 13, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

You missed my point entirely. There's more to the world than bending and there's more to growing old than becoming a good bender, which goes double for someone ruling a nation. From what we can infer about the Fire Nation under Zuko's stewardship it went from crazy Imperial Japan levels of world conquest dreams to something way more reasonable in less than a generation. I'm not surprised that Zuko gets clowned by these benders because he was probably spending a great deal of his time doing all the administrative and diplomatic work it takes to revamp a nation of hyperviolent, would-be conquerors, leaving him little time to get all spiritual and great at bending.

Actually, no, he probably did accomplish something bendy and spiritual, because the dude's managed to befriend a dragon to ride around, but that does not necessarily mean he's a great bender, just a cool dude who can kick it with dragons.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 13, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Defending Zuko getting jobbed out is just after-the-fact fanboy apologetics. I guarantee that if half the episode was dedicated to an epic bending battle between Awesome Zuko and the villains none of the people defending what really happened would be complaining because "well in the original series he wasn't that great"

Well if we get to argue hypothetical and speak to what might have happened rather than talk about what's actually happened, then I think that LoK would have been a much better series if Mako was Amon and he bloodbended himself into an early grave.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Deep Winter posted:

In the probending, the fire and waterbenders can only do quick bursts, and earthbenders can throw rock discs. Air benders could be limited to air bullets/bursts.

Maybe airbending could be limited to defensive stuff, like they can only destroy the other team's projectiles? Could be interesting to add dedicated defensive aspect/position to the game. :shrug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Android Blues posted:

I adored pro bending and it still feels weird to me that, despite Mako and Bolin having thrown their entire lives into the sport as of season one, they just kind of flit away from it in season two. I get that it's a result of them wanting to put the characters in new situations but it's still slightly jarring from a "wait, wasn't this like, your core motivation?" perspective.

They met the Avatar, deal with it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Has there been any concrete, official(ish) word given about why Nickolodean didn't order a normal season's worth of episodes?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Still, Aubrey Plaza :allears:

I still feel like they're under/misusing someone who could otherwise be a great voice actress.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

This is easily the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a japanese film and I've seen Robo Geisha.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

First Bass posted:

Oh my god. I really want the second or third panels of that for an av now.

That's as good as I could get it. :shrug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I love this fanbase sometimes, I really do.

A lot of things need more political cartoon-style fan art, if only to better communicate how ridiculous most political cartoons are in reality.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Killer robot posted:

Also the whole deal with the bending Triads. Organized crime never pulls its muscle from privileged classes, since they're not the people who only have street crime to turn to for wealth and status. On the other hand, in a situation like Republic City where poor benders (sometimes employed by wealthy non-benders as we've seen) prey upon middle/working class non-benders, it's really easy to create an anti-bender narrative like Amon did, without really even bringing up the root issues.

I mean, poo poo, I'm surprised that there's not more anti-bender sentiment all across the world considering that its because of benders and their fuckery that a 100 year war erupted across the known world, which probably resulted in tremendous loss of life and livelihood. Like, really, sit and think about how awful and broke down society would get if we fought a war for 100 years. Heck, we don't even have to because we can just look to something like the Hundred Years' War (though, to be fair, that wasn't a constant conflict) to see that France and England were massively depopulated because of the conflict (and occasional outbreaks of plague).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Rincewind posted:

Is it really fair to say that the Hundred Year War happened because of "benders", though? The ruling family of the Fire Nation was all benders, of course, but benders in the other nations were on the chopping block as much or more than everyone else, and the Fire Nation as a whole wasn't just benders. The issues were just plain old nationalism and imperialism and racism, not benders vs. nonbenders.

I get that, but what I'm saying is that it would be really easy to jump from 'We Just Fought A 100 Year War' to 'Because Of Those loving Benders' if you're some disenfranchised non-bender who is getting pushed around by a bending gangster types. It's not that much of a mental leap at all, especially for an aggrieved public.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Babygravy posted:

Shouldn't the earth kingdom be more centrally located and bigger?

Perhaps, but west coast = earthquakes & desert so its earth kingdom in my headcannon now.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I just saw the "Which Ship Do You Want To Happen More" poll on Nick's Korra site and oh god guys please don't encourage that subsection of your fandom. :cripes:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Ravane posted:

At first I thought "more sand sails," then I realized you meant relationship.

I'm upset that shipping is becoming mainstream enough that someone in somewhere in Nick was like "yeah, so our gross old-people audience for Korra is all about that shipping poo poo! lets make a poll on it! :haw:" and the other people at that table weren't like "what's shipping" and then "wait, it has nothing to do with cargo manifests and everything to do with obsessing over what character is loving what other character? gross no gross"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

raspy trashfucker posted:

it's unfortunate that korra has mercury poisoning or whatever but at least there'll be a few months where no one in the avatar universe gets raped

What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I dunno if that'd be a good thing though. I've always gotten weird totalitarian vibes from Suyin given the way the Metal Clan city is run.

• Locked thread