Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
At the risk of sounding like I am jumping on the hate bandwagon, I don't actually think the last airbender was all that great either, all in all. It coasts a lot on its second season, which was absolutely stellar, but season one was pretty standard adventure cartoon, in no way bad, but also not incredible good. Season three, in my opinion, was a complete mess and all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

thexerox123 posted:

I think it's more due to the fact that the creators had other writers involved for Avatar who knew how to write good characters...

Compare the first few writing credits (of many) for Avatar:

With the entirety of the writing credits for Korra:

Aaron Ehasz was head writer for Avatar, whereas I don't think they have any head writer for Korra.

So, George Lucas syndrome?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sithsaber posted:

LEAKED EPISODES IN ESPAŅOL WARNING :

I may be translating wrong but I think episode 4 confirmed that.

It does.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The new villains rock, simply from their character design. Let's hope they don't blunder it when it comes to characterization and motivation, like they did with Amon.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
After watching the episodes in English, I have to say that I prefer Zeeher Mexican voice. His English comes across a little to young for my taste. That goes for the Earthbender too, but I didn't hear him in Spanish.

That aside they are awesome. The concept is not that much different from Amon (turning the special applications of bending into a recurring element), but visually, they are much more interesting. All of the jailbreaks so far have been really awesome to watch.

I also have the feeling they wont be referencing the spirit thing all that much. With the merging of both world, you would think they would run into spirits more often, or that encountering them would be a regular thing, but so far, they didn't play a role outside some gags.

^^: Dude, if 10 out of 12 episodes are bad, with the sole exception of those that were not directly connected to the story of season 2 and animated by a different studio, it is perfectly valid to exclude them when talking about season 2 in general.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 29, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Oracle posted:

One of the things I noticed was they kept saying they hadn't had any visitors in 13 years. What happened thirteen years ago? Was that when Korra was discovered to be the new Avatar? Or when Aang died? Could these guys have had something to do with Aang's death? Do we know for sure how he died? I'm pretty sure it wasn't entirely natural but I don't remember and don't want to go poking around because spoilers for the next three episodes are everywhere.

Aang died sixteen or seventeen years ago, depending on Korra's current age. However, she was a toddler when the White Lotus found her, so that could work. Also, I am pretty sure that they said Aang died die of natural cause at a ratehr young age, due to being stuck in the ice for 100 years.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

achillesforever6 posted:

Its kind of amazing how the world has advanced from the Feudal Age to retro-futurist 1920s Age, but then again being able to manipulate metal lead to some amazing leaps in technology.

The series was not really in a "feudal age" during the original series, technology wise. The fire nation had tanks, steamboats and giant mechanic drills. It was much closer to the 19th century and just unevenly spread.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Android Blues posted:

I adored pro bending and it still feels weird to me that, despite Mako and Bolin having thrown their entire lives into the sport as of season one, they just kind of flit away from it in season two. I get that it's a result of them wanting to put the characters in new situations but it's still slightly jarring from a "wait, wasn't this like, your core motivation?" perspective.

Pro bending is one of the aspect that really suffered due to the reduced episode order. If season one would have been a normal 22 episode length, they would have had much more time to flesh out these non central things. It really hurt the series, because they created a pretty interesting world, modern fanatsy settings are pretty rare, but they never had any time for an episode that would just focus on worldbuilding. The Last Airbender had a lot of such episodes and it gave the world a much more organic feeling, because you got the impression that it actually was a real place and not just a backdrop for our heroes to have adventures in. Korra's world in comparison feels a lot smaller.

• Locked thread