Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Golden Goat posted:

The second season also ended with Korra turning into a blue Gatorade giant which was awful for the fact they pulled that resolution out of their rear end.

I'll admit though that it was kind of awesome for the fight scene that followed it.

This series has a problem with deus ex machina, but I've almost numbed myself to this and just lie back for the fun kaiju fights with heart-wrenching music at the end of every book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
The show is good again! All the not-shitposters can come out now and post about how much they love Book 3 of the Legend of Korra! Please, before this thread is cemented in a death spiral of loathing and cynicism and we're never allowed to post about Avatar again!

Highlights (some spoilers):

*Say goodbye to Republic City! President Douchebag kicks the Avatar out anyways, even after she saved it twice over the last two seasons

*A mysterious new group of super-benders who the crack team of Firelord Zuko, Korra's dad, and Korra's creepy cousins are trying to keep from springing Sparky Sparky Boom Combustion Lady

*Airbenders are popping up around the world! This has lead to exploring the idea that airbenders who are grown-rear end adults or still have families might not want to drop everything to recreate a culture that was dead for a hundred years, and then has spent the past seventy being kept alive by one family and a fanclub

*The Dantean socioeconomic hell that is Ba Sing Se is back, replete with the evil Dai Li and Queen Margaret Thatcher/Kim Jong Un

*The story of Bolin and Mako is made even more tragic by the fact that their dad made the exodus to Republic City, knowing he could never return to Ba Sing Se, just so he could raise a family with a better future than any they could have lived in the slums of the Lower Ring--and his orphaned children ended up living that life anyways

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Zaheer is voiced by Henry Rollins :neckbeard:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone else think Asami's flying yacht looks terrible as a CGI render? I mean, I was willing to let things like the Mechatanks and some of the RCPD airships slide in the past two seasons because it was only used sparingly (I know that some animators like Titmouse use 3D when an object like a car or plane or flying sphinx is particularly difficult to animate hand-drawn the way the producer wants), but every single far-away shot of the airship--hell, even the Earth Kingdom airships in episode 3--is/are all 3D all the time and they are just so blocky and featureless and incongruous with the beautiful, lovingly drawn backgrounds. It doesn't seem to matter if it's moving or sitting, it's just WHAM here's your grey filigreed monstrosity, please await scene change.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 28, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AshB posted:

When does Legend of Korra have something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnFNjLnVVJw I'm honestly curious because I don't remember anything that creative.

ATLA Aang could beat the poo poo out of Korra, no joke.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AlmightyPants posted:

Just watched the first three episodes and I'm not too hot on this season's villains being the Legion of Doom. C'mon, the last season ended with the manifestation of evil in the universe being defeated. A quartet of benders each with specialized bending in one of the elements doesn't seem nearly that bad. At least the evil water bender doesn't appear to be a blood bender, yet!

This isn't Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, we're not going to get Super Saiyan Giant Korra throwing planets at God or whatever just because they decided that the manifestation of evil in the world was a great idea for a mere season 2 villain.

e: at least I hope not

Four Score fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 30, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Jackard posted:

Glad they went globetrotting, because not doing it is why the last Harry Potter book was such a huge disappointment - she spends the entire series worldbuilding, finally has an excuse for the main characters to go see some of it, and they never loving leave England.

Honestly, I will miss Republic City in the sense that it was under-explored and poorly utilized over the past two seasons. I still think it's incredibly fascinating, if not as fascinating as the show's creators think it is, so for me it's great that they're expanding the scope of the story by abandoning it with little to no subtlety. Still, it is/was such an interesting idea that was left at the wayside along with, I imagine, most of the "filler episodes" they left on the cutting room floor of season 1; then, as if realizing that they had actually meant to tell an interesting story about Republic City, tried forcing it into the second season, to the detriment of a story about the two Water Tribes and what evolved into an event with global consequences (and that's before we knew there were going to be airbenders and spirits running around the place). The planet was about to be plunged into ten thousand years of darkness, and where was the Fire Nation? The Earth Kingdom? Considering that Korra was snatched on her way to Zuko by a literal and figurative whale of exposition, I imagine they were cut too.

They should have just released a mini-series or spin-off in it, if they were really so gay about Republic City.

Charlz Guybon posted:

The avatar state has nothing to do with past lives.

When undergoing the avatar state, an avatar channels the power of Raava, giving him/her immense power. Now, those with access to past lives could be guided by their skill if they didn't know how to do something, but Korra's progressed to a point that that's unneeded.

The Avatar State is a defense mechanism, designed to empower you with the skills and knowledge of all the past Avatars. The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body. In the Avatar State, you are at your most powerful, but you are also at your most vulnerable. If you are killed in the Avatar State, the reincarnation cycle will be broken and the Avatar will cease to exist.

Also stuff about cosmic energy, hence the whole thing with Guru Pathik and the Tree of Time.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Genocyber posted:

Why are you quoting something from season 1(?) of TLA when we have more recent information from Korra season 2? It has shown that that avatar state is not just connecting to the past avatars but connecting with Raava as well. Korra can still do that bit.

Are you autistic? Let's set aside for a moment that both shows were created and written by the same people, and so the average person doesn't have to worry about silly retcon bullshit: it's been consistently shown from season 1 of TLA to the very last episode of season 2 of the LoK that the Avatar State is the result of channeling vast amounts of cosmic energy--it's what allowed Aang to connect with his past lives and utilize their knowledge and skills of bending, it's what happened when Wan first used the energy of Harmonic Convergence to fuse with Raava and utilize all four elements at once for the first time, and it's what allowed Korra to become a big blue giant who personally beat the poo poo out of Unavaatu.

ImpAtom posted:

None of this is true.

Combustion Man in the original series was able to violate the rules and bend in his own unique way. Bumi also was able to bend when his entire body except his head was bound. Not to mention things like Toph shattering the "you can't bend metal" rule.

Aang was able to talk to his past lives even when his chakra was blocked and he couldn't access the Avatar State or Avatar Spirit.

The rules in the Avatar universe are pretty explicitly "these are the way things are as we understand them now" as opposed to being hard and fast unbreakable rules. Multiple characters in the original show approached problems from a different angle and came up with something that changed the world or the view of the world. Rules in the Avatar world are made to be broken or ideas challenged. Characters explicitly (even in TLA) have an imperfect view of the world and do not 100% understand everything.

He's not demonstrating violations of rules, he's demonstrating expansions of rulesets. What is and isn't "bending" isn't limited to flailing your limbs around and making things move, it's the manipulation of both the physical elements that constitute the material world as well as the energies of the universe, whether they be inner spiritual strength or cosmic power. Aang didn't cryonically sustain himself for a hundred years by some martial art technique, and that was in the loving prologue.

e: Sorry, I mean you (forums poster ImpAtom) are right. I thought I was still yelling at dj_clawson for being obtuse. The show on the whole is internally consistent, but for the characters (who are generally kids, not learned masters for at least the first few months of the show), "you can't bend metal" is equivalent to the real world idea that human flight was impossible until someone did it (which is also done in the show!).

Four Score fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 3, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Literally the first thing Tarlock says to Zaheer is that he's beaten him before. He might have new powers but Tarlock is the one guy we can 100% confirm has stopped him before. He is not actually a worse choice that Zuko since Zaheer is a novice airbender.

Uhhhhh his name is Tonraq. Tarrlock is the Northern Water Tribe councilor for Republic City from season 1. You might know him from being a super-bloodbender and also blowing himself up.

Also :drat: Zaofu is some space-age poo poo. I'm going to feel really bad when the Fearsome Four start wrecking it.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 12, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
One of the things that made this probably the most beautiful episode of the season was the glaring lack of CGI.

Also the modern art black sheep kid made me laugh, as overused as the joke is in general.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Well hey I mean they did blow up a dragon in the escape

Also the shortcomings and sometimes outright villiany of the adults in LoK compared to ATLA in my reading stems from the fact that unlike the Gaang, who were a bunch of tweens, this Team Avatar is composed of teenagers. I mean, when you're a kid, adults are your role models and idols; when you're a teenager, they're at best incompetent or undermining and at their worst actively hindering or working against you.

Sorry if that was worded awkwardly, I've been up for over a day now.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Babygravy posted:

I am hoping to see something redeeming this season for Lin. So far she's this badass chief of police, with no real backstory developed, no great feats and no real character building other then she use to date Tenzin.

...have you seen the latest episode? She's a bastard with an estranged half-sister.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Babygravy posted:

That's why I'm saying I'd like something to be made of all this.

That's not what you're saying. You said:

quote:

So far she's this badass chief of police, with no real backstory developed, no great feats and no real character building other then she use to date Tenzin.

...and you're wrong. We know she's a badass because in season 1 (just to be clear, "badass" wasn't her sole stand-out quality back then either) she was established as a salty master earthbender and metalbender who demonstrated her prowess a number of times in the face of an enemy engineered specifically to defeat her and her policemen, and while season 2 was bad for pretty much everyone involved, in season 3 we now have a full episode devoted to establishing her backstory with another on the way today. Your post might have slid past one or two seasons ago, or even two weeks ago, because we didn't know a whole lot about Lin back then, but you kind of just come off as an idiot posting it the week after the episode where we Meet the Family.

DrSunshine posted:

Why do they have to have a romance subplot in every single season? Is it to satisfy some kind of basic contractual requirement? ATLA never played up the shipping angle as heavily as Korra did.

Spergatory posted:

Probably in response to the crazy ATLA shippers. They saw the whole Kataang vs. Zutara debacle and thought 'wow, people must really care about this stuff! Let's actually put it in the show!' not realizing that actually having it in the show is completely unnecessary and, paradoxically, detrimental to people actually caring about it.

This may surprise you, but the target audience of this show isn't solely jaded dinosaurs posting on a BBS forum/spergs incapable of relating. Trust me when I say that that poo poo sells.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Babygravy posted:

Yes the airbender a are back.. But not in great enough numbers yet. They need to have an air brender breeding stick started or they will just die off again. Most of the recruits are grown, attached to families already and obviously haven't passed on the airbender 'gene'

Hey, if we're going to dredge back up the same creepy poo poo that got Deadpool involved in the thread, can we at least do it in coherent English?

On second thought, just :frogout:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry forums user "Babygravy", please go ahead and hash out the logistics of a eugenics program for a fictional group of people who can magically move air with their minds on a children's television show. This is in no way creepy. I am, as you would say, a "fool".

:shepface:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
My player worked beautifully (which is more than I could say about my cable sometimes). I could get used to this.

Disappointed but not surprised that the Red Lotus are violent anarchists, so basically echoing this sentiment:

DrSunshine posted:

Huh, I guess Bryan and Mike really hate anti-establishment types, huh.

Also now stuck imagining how much more awesome Korra/this show would have been if their plan had succeeded and Korra was a freedom fighter with exploding lava tentacle-bending.

This was a really great episode, but then again, I'm a huge sucker for exposition drops (I mean, we even got exposition about Pai Sho). It wasn't just that, though: it was funny, beautiful, balanced, and ended on a suspenseful note (who else thought that the lavabender had caught them?) that is going to make the wait for the next episode torturous. I'm really digging the little Ghibli spirits and the liberal use of them, a trend that I hope continues. The unintentionally funniest part was when Zaheer name-dropped a quote by none other than GURU LAHIMA and god bless him Henry Rollins is really trying to sell it, and Korra audibly gasps at "an airbender" because even though she has no idea who this schmuck is, it's mind-blowing that a gentle Air Nomad could have said something mildly revolutionary.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

StrifeHira posted:

I find it kinda funny that the Red Lotus' kidnapping plan was essentially having a Korra that ended up like this:

Except serious.

All things said though this season's been doing pretty well.

Oh my god. I really want the second or third panels of that for an av now.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

And of course, more importantly, it's a striking visual shorthand for "dehumanizing restraint" and is a visual quote from one of the most influential films in decades.

?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

Nerds, especially teenage nerds trying to be "edgy" and grown-up, think every piece of media would be much better if it catered to their particular taste and tone. Hence Brony sex fanfic, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, and baby-killing vacuum-benders

I hardly think a Bayesian rationalist should be lumped in with bronies and a spergy goon. :colbert: Your point's taken though

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

The implication was supposed to be that Amon was knocked unconscious and that when he woke up drowning, his reflexes kicked in and he bended himself to safety instinctively. It's the exact same thing Aang did in episode two of AtLA when he was knocked off Zuko's ship, water tornado and all.

I got that and I don't even remember that scene. Ah, callbacks.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Friday cannot come soon enough, and this thread will be full of :tviv:

e: to clarify, I only saw the one .gif

Four Score fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 7, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
People seem to hate the whole "darkness" thing, but even though I knew it was just tip-toeing around the word "death" it still fit. Hell, it even showed her blacking out as she became more and more oxygen starved. Line was great, yo.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Man that fight between Zaheer and Tenzin was fun to watch, until the reversal.

TAKE KAI INSTEAD, YOU BASTARDS. :negative:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

SirKibbles posted:

Bumi runs into alot of the problems Sokka did combat wise.

Like "how do I use my [awesome space] sword, an instrument that historically existed solely to kill people"?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

This guy is right. I'm on his side about how magic probably works on the kids show

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Babygravy posted:

New idea! They turn it into an Avatar Truman show style. Identify the new avatar, place them inside a giant dome and contain them there through their ignorance, broadcast the development , life, high school, family interactions etc to the entire world. Oh god I just created avatar mini inverse inside of the show. A show in a show, so meta?

I keep checking the thread hoping to see if the finale got leaked, and I'm treated to this poo poo. Only 5 more days :sigh:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

If the audio levels weren't so wonky (and there wasn't a ton of poo poo covering the frame), those B&W leaks of Doctor Who with the half-finished effects and lack of ADR would be amazing. I especially love the quiet moments when there's supposed to be some unneeded exposition they haven't dubbed in yet. Its such a delightful throwback to the classic episodes.

:psyduck: Am I the only person who can see thread titles?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

PriorMarcus posted:

No? What is this even a responce too?

Well, last I checked, this wasn't the Doctor Who thread, or the Doctor Who spoilers thread, or even the Doctor Who toxx thread. It's the Legend of Korra (and occasionally ATLA) thread.

e: checked again, still the thread about the cartoon which "airs" every Friday on Nickelodeon.com

Four Score fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 18, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Proof that tumblr has produced something of worth at lease once in the entirety of its existence. :allears:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, what else can be said?

fun note: The goonbender finally joined the Air Nation, who are now Batmen of All Nations I guess.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else happy with a season finale that wasn't (ultimately anyway) resolved by a deus ex machina?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Spergatory posted:

Jeremy Zuckerman posted the music from the final scene on his soundcloud. :iia: https://soundcloud.com/jeremy-zuckerman/service-and-sacrifice

Give him every Emmy. :allears:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Bifford posted:

I wonder just what life in the Earth Kingdom was like that the people would revolt the moment their queen died and that wall was knocked down. Usually the death of a monarch does not cause this; the heir to the throne takes over and life goes on. As with the Equalist movement, there's a lot of important backstory that the show leaves unexplained.

Did you miss a few episodes? Because Book 3 showed government-enforced social stratification, with literal walls separating an oblivious aristocracy from soul-crushing poverty, secret police abducting and forcibly conscripting citizens for a private army, and outlying towns devolving into essentially Mad Max as they were taxed dry.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

:lol:
Korra with her yarmulke and dead-eyed stare never fail to make me laugh.

I couldn't stop thinking "man she really hates going to Jinora's bat mitzvah".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Bifford posted:

Are you saying martial arts is some sort of agriculture-related activity? Why would factory workers be any less interested in it than farmers?

Because as everyone knows, industrial societies are famous for the development and patronage of martial arts. :shepface:

• Locked thread