Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sokka was saddled with a weapon he couldn't use due to kids show, but he was still consistently proficient and contributed heavily to several important strategic undertakings.

Glad this thread is still in the habit of talking down parts of TLAB to make Korra look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

AshB posted:

That would be so, so, bad. I can't imagine lazier writing. I hope this doesn't happen.

Reminder that last season, when this exact post was made about Unalaq early on, we literally got just that.

In more positive news, I enjoyed all three of these episodes. Characters are...better. Korra was bratty at the start but I'm willing to attribute that little "I beat Vaatu, so I could do whatever I wanted" outburst to stress on her part. The villains look decent so far, but then again so did Amon early on. The airbending plotline bothers me because I can't help but shake the feeling that the people rejecting Tenzin and co. are being portrayed as wrong for not abandoning everything for a culture they have no connection to or heritage from. But we'll see, I'm more than willing to see where they go with it because, at the very least, it's interesting.

I know the above sounds a bit negative, but I did enjoy the episodes, and I hope they keep it up.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Finally got around to watching last Friday's episodes and, well...

I liked them :shobon:.

For once there's really nothing bothering me. Show has been real solid for basically 5 straight eps which is a marked improvement for me. It's really nice.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I've been binge-watching TLA and Korra over the past few weeks and I gotta say I don't get why people are so down on Korra. The love triangle stuff is very poorly done, but the action and overall style and direction of Korra season 1 is way loving better than TLA season 1, most of which I really had to force myself to sit through. What an amazing start to a show this is. Based on this thread I gather season 2 is the low point, but hooooow bad can it really be? :allears:

Just wait til the saddest story you'll ever hear.

Also a lot of us treat Korra s1 as the 4th season of Avatar, and that had certain built-up expectations attached to it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Korra's actually grown up a bit from the end of Season 1 where she was an irrational dumbass who didn't think anything through and for some reason was celebrated for it?

As someone who has been very hard on the show the last two seasons, just watch the stupid show again.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

The main thing I've learned from this whole affair is that Spongebob is still o the air. Seriously?

For hours upon hours a day. Because somehow it just keeps raking in money.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

computer parts posted:

Season 2 was perfectly fine from the 2 parter onwards.

No it just went from "awful" to "dreadfully mediocre." It still did nothing following the two parter to actually justify watching the season as a whole.

Thankfully we seem to be past this being genuinely bad television.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My favorite season 2 thing will always be absolutely everyone, both people who were enjoying it and those who weren't, going "No, no, they wouldn't possibly have Unalaq be responsible for the raid that got Korra's dad exiled. It's too easy and too creatively bankrupt, there's no way they'll do that."

And then they did.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jorghnassen posted:

And the kinky bondage Korrasami shippers exploded with joy! Or am I the only one who noticed?

Seriously, the season's been keeping up so far. Only 4 episodes left, and I'm a bit disappointed we don't get double episodes each time. Oh well, might as well make the pleasure last, there's only 3 more weeks as they will finish with a pair.

You're the only one being creepy enough to have done so so far, at least.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The problem with Asami is that she gets a fraction of the fights everyone else does.

Likely because they find it a huge pain to find ways to involve her when dealing with benders on the level of Zaheer and company.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

How does this keep happening?

Nickelodeon is basically the cabbage man.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

It could work if the earth queen learned some kind of lesson at being on the receiving end of cruelty and mistreatment.

But that's not nearly as mature as killing her with one of the worst tvtropes murder-bending techniques that folks sperg about :downs:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's possible I'm being a bit too unforgiving toward the death because it reminded me a lot of that loving laughable murder-suicide from season 1 which really was one of the most egregious "WE'RE BEING MATURE" things I've ever seen in anything.

I still feel it was incredibly unnecessary and I could have done without them canonizing something I can't stand hearing people sperg over.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Genocyber posted:

I don't see how the murder-suicide is being edgy mature since it's fairly sudden and soft-spoken. One moment they're driving away the next *BOOM*, and then it quickly cuts away.

The fact that it happens at all with no narrative reasoning that makes sense other than to tie those characters up after they got cleared for more episodes. Like everything else in season 1, it's the product of what two pretty poor writers think makes a mature narrative without actually understanding what makes the things they're trying to use mature subject matter in the first place.

Season 1 is a legitimately hollow piece of work.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 8, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm glad we're back to the end of season 1 style of attributing things to narrative and characterization moments that either flatout don't exist as presented or were poorly done and made no sense to begin with. Especially when Tarrlok himself was a mess of a loving character.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Well c'mon let's not
:razz:
blow it out of proportion.

Close this thread.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious to see how Bolin is actually going to metalbend at this point. They've set that gun up so prominently it is is a just a matter of when it fires at this point

He's going to metalbend up a gun :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Wasn't there an entire episode where Tarrlok systematically oppressed non-benders? The Equalist perspective clearly deserved more attention in general, but I honestly had no problems with any of Book 1's narrative setup until at least the ninth or tenth episode.

The problem is that we only see this in response to the Equalists. We don't actually see anything that might have lead people to be sympathetic to the Equalist cause before then that could have served as reasoning for their creation. With the way poo poo ends, it's basically treated as if Amon just had a spell over everyone involved.

• Locked thread