Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Bown posted:

I went back and forth on whether I should do this, but gently caress it: I'll commit to finishing all current seasons of Shameless (US) before September 22nd. That's just under three full seasons worth of episodes.

It's kind of a funny pick for this, since one of S4's plotlines is such an absolute kick in the balls that I haven't finished the season yet. Even though I loved previous seasons and still like a lot of what Season 4 is doing. And I've since found that I'm not the only Goon to feel this way. Good Luck!

gently caress it, here it goes. I've only watched the first two seasons of The Wire and am committing to watching the rest before the end of the summer. :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I didn't realize this became an anime endorsement thread.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

If you want to see Sorkin preachiness at its most horrifying you should check out The Newsroom (but no seriously don't do that).

I haven't started on The Wire S3 yet but hope to get going this weekend.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Bown posted:

You're not very nice to the people you give shows to, are you, xeria?

Finished season 3 of Shameless last night and had an absolute whale of a time, but I got really sick of Jimmy's whiny poo poo by the end. Can't wait to start season 4 and see what this plotline is that's so horrifying hcreight and DivisionPost haven't even been able to finish the season yet.

Part of it is I've been watching other stuff instead too. But the show's trajectory just gets really, really depressing over S4. And makes the show's Emmy candidacy switch to a comedy all the more absurd.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I finished up Season 3 of The Wire and am starting S4. The Omar/Brother Mouzone teamup was cool, even if what they did was a little sad. I knew Stringer was out of the show after S3, I was sort of hoping it was because he successfully got his legitimate business operations off the ground and was out of the life, instead of him getting killed. :(

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I still have Season 5 to go. Will probably get going on that in the next couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I finished The Wire last night. I haven't done an update since I finished S3, so I'll just give a few random thoughts on what I've watched since then.

-I really was impressed with how steadily the scope of the show kept building through each season. Even though a new element was introduced each time, they always made sure to keep at least a few characters and elements from the focus of previous seasons. I don't think any other show I've seen can claim to balance such an expansive cast so deftly, with few major missteps. Putting McNulty into the background in Season 4 was a little awkward, in that they couldn't find much of anything for him to do but felt compelled to keep reminding viewers he was enjoying a quiet life with Beadie and her kids. Though the story arc or lack thereof did come back around in S5.

-I think I could watch an entire series of Bunk chomping on a cigar and groaning while he looks at crime scenes.

-It was amusing seeing Carcetti's idealism become more and more compromised as the show went on, considering the certain amoral schemer Aidan Gillen would go on to play in another show.

-I've heard mixed things about the ending, with some people thinking it's one of the most satisfying finales ever, while others feeling a tad underwhelmed. I guess I side more with the former group. Anything that ended with a message other than "none of this poo poo ever really changes" would have felt cheap and against the show's message. I was a little sad that Omar went out with a relative whimper just before the show's final act. Though part of that was that Omar still tearing the Stanfield Org a new rear end in a top hat with one bad leg was amusing to watch.

Edit:I'd have to think about that one.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

hcreight fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 20, 2014

• Locked thread