Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bown posted:

Bravo! (I can't be bothered to look up the smilie how do people even remember the smilies on here anyway?)

Dude from Hannibal doesn't show up until season 4.

They're generally pretty easy to guess. Like, the one you're thinking of is literally just "Lost"

:lost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

AnimeJune posted:

Welp, I'm now :toxx:ing myself the next two seasons of Avatar because drat. PEOPLE WERE RIGHT. This show is loving addictive and those 21 episodes went down so, so smooth.

There's a LOT to love about this series (Zuko and Iro! The animation! The fight scenes!) but what I loved most about this first season is the PACING. This show is absolutely miraculous in how well it conveys an epic tone and detailed world-building in short episodes. It also has an excellent, accumulative mythology that builds from episode to episode without jarring the (generally) episodic nature of Aang's adventures with Sokka and Katara. Like Zuko and Iro - yeah, they're the villains (so far), so they pop up nearly every episode to stir poo poo up, but we also get to learn more and more about them and their relationship.

The show's also pretty decent at screwing around with expectations. Like the episode where there are two clans who hate each other thanks to differing views on how their ancestors interacted, and I was kind of expecting the whole "it was a big misunderstanding!" reveal. Instead, Aang tells both clans a baldfaced lie about why their prejudice is nonsense because he's too tired of their bullshit to put up with it.

"The Blue Spirit" episode was also epic as hell. FANTASTIC fight scenes, great character interaction.

Seriously, there are hour-long dramas currently on television that do less with their time than Avatar.

I'm off to binge on the second season!

Fake Edit: Holy poo poo Zuko's sister is a loving psychopath.

It only gets better. The final season in particular is some incredible television.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

AnimeJune posted:

And then there's Legend of Korra!!! :dance:

Eh, don't set your expectations too high. Korra's first season is decent, the second not so good. It's nowhere near Last Airbender.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bown posted:

As great as it is people are watching Twin Peaks y'all should wait for the bluray set coming out this month cause it's remastered and the previews of it look so much nicer

edit: check it

I kind of prefer the original. Twin Peaks was heavily inspired by soap operas (as I'm sure you know) and it loses a little of that charm if it's cleaned up too much.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

The Dad makes an insane turn later on that is just weird.

Ray Wise is an absolutely wonderful actor and does absurdity extremely well. His stuff on Twin Peaks and Tim and Eric has given me a lot of respect for him.

Also, having never watched Season 2 of Twin Peaks I just decided to look up some info on Leland in Season 2. Wow, that show sure does take some weird turns :aaa:

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 21, 2014

• Locked thread