Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Bown posted:

Finished up season 2 of Shameless earlier. This show is so weird - it spends the first third of each season being this wacky punk rock adult family comedy, and then really ramps up the drama in the final four episodes. It manages to make it work very well, though, with episode 11 being particularly gut-wrenching. There wasn't much of a through-line to the season, which made it feel scattered, although I think that may be because it was transitioning to more of an ensemble piece - Fiona definitely wasn't quite as front-and-centre this time around, but it did lead to a bunch of random subplots that never really went anywhere or were wrapped up in any way. Amazing work from William H. Macy, Emmy Rossum, and Joan Cusack, although I really do just love every character (Ian being maybe the only uninteresting one). The production values and cinematography are top-notch, although they somewhat overuse the sudden loud musical cue that's meant to be reserved for 'big'/destructive moments. I hear it's only going to get darker as it goes on, and I'm interested to see how they top Monica slitting her wrists at Thanksgiving and Karen being horrifically cold towards her Asian, Down syndrome baby.

edit: Joan Rivers is not in Shameless.

Seasons 1-3 all follow that format you stated, I'd just like to warn you that 4 is kind of different. It does away with the wacky for the sake of wacky plots that are scattered throughout and is really tightly plotted and has a lot more emotional resonance as a whole. It goes into "serious drama" territory, and if you're shotgunning episodes it's a bit of a tonal shift.

gently caress Shameless is loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread