Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've only seen the pilot of Twin Peaks, so I'm gonna commit to both seasons of that by September 22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BigRed0427 posted:

This sounds fun, but I kind of wan't to watch something that is notoriously bad. I don't know why but I do. And it also has to be on Netflix. Any suggestions?

The Killing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Amy Renee posted:

I watched a few episodes of the fifth season of Community. I'm gonna be honest with you: I loving hated it. But people say the show was at its best before Harmon got fired, so my :toxx: is...

Community, seasons 1, 2, 3

See you in a week or so.

Which episodes did you watch? The season didn't finish very strongly for a lot of people, and it's probably way worse for a newcomer. If you didn't like a few specific concept episodes it may get rough for you later, but if you didn't like episode 4 you should change your toxx because I can loving guarantee you won't like Community.

e: Also, I'm currently in the middle of the second episode of Twin Peaks, though I had to look up who a lot of the characters were because I watched the pilot so long ago. Dale Cooper is my new favorite TV character, holy poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Amy Renee posted:

Good luck with that one. Don't know what you've heard about it, but the consensus from everything I've read leads to "The Most Pretentious Thing Ever Filmed"

The final four, I think it was. I'd seen Jonathon Banks' filmography and saw he was cast for the fifth season, so I was interested in seeing him playing something that wasn't Mike Ehrmantraut. Because of that, the episode with him playing Dungeons and Dragons with David Cross was pretty drat amusing. Then I lost the plot on the GI Joe episode, and if I describe the events of the two-part series season finale, my brain will seize.

Yeah, those are terrible episodes for new viewers to get into the show with.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo, the third episode of Twin Peaks is loving amazing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

EccoRaven posted:

Where is a place to watch Friday Night Lights? I have access to all the legal streaming sites I just know it's not on Netflix anymore.

Anyway put me down for that! My former sociology professor (slash life advisor slash older person friend) insists I watch it, saying season 2 onward it veers away from "yeah football" into "oh hey racism and poverty," which is when she says it gets amazing. I'll try for all five seasons but let's just say definitely the first two before September?

e: looks like it's on Amazon Prime :patriot: sorry colbert.

It's actually still up on Netflix, you made me panic for a second there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AnimeJune posted:

And then there's Legend of Korra!!! :dance:

Ahahahahaha sorry dude.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll try to get through the first season of Twin Peaks by the end of the weekend, it's only five more episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hcreight posted:

If you want to see Sorkin preachiness at its most horrifying you should check out The Newsroom (but no seriously don't do that).

I haven't started on The Wire S3 yet but hope to get going this weekend.

To clarify: the Newsroom's very first scene is a rant about modern-day America that eventually turns into straight-up "millennials suck" generational resentment.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Due to real life poo poo, I just finished Season 1 of Twin Peaks but man, that was great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not sure if Denise is surprisingly progressive or really offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finished Twin Peaks this morning but didn't get time to update.

I really liked it at first, but my goodwill faded about halfway through the final season. Cooper got less and less focus and his plots got dull, the charming idiosyncracies were overtaken by the soap opera plots that steadily became less and less ironic, and there's a real lack of tension for a lot of it, especially in the lead-up to Miss Twin Peaks. I really liked the chess game with Windom Earle, and it's a shame that just gets dropped. The introduction of Cooper and Audrey's new love interests immediately after each other was really, really laughable, especially because both couples fall madly in love in like six days. Also, while the One-Eyed Jack's plotline with Audrey was some of the most bizarre poo poo I've ever seen, and definitely a step too far, she had nothing to do after that. I thought it was funny seeing David Lynch as Gordon Cole but the character wore thin pretty quickly. I was definitely ready for it to end. I don't know if I'll watch Fire Walk With Me but I'll consider it.

On the other hand, most appearances of Bob were genuinely terrifying in their own right (Frank Silva is one creepy motherfucker) and Special Agent Dale Cooper may well be one of my new favorite TV characters.

My favorite non-Coop character is Dick Tremayne.

• Locked thread