Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I hereby commit to watching all seven seasons of Tales from the Crypt.

Sorry, I think I pronounced that wrong. I meant to say:

TALES FROM THE CRYPT!:ghost:

e: How often is too often in reporting back here with what we've seen? I wouldn't want to be obnoxious with a thing on every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

MrAristocrates posted:

e: Also, I'm currently in the middle of the second episode of Twin Peaks, though I had to look up who a lot of the characters were because I watched the pilot so long ago. Dale Cooper is my new favorite TV character, holy poo poo.

You have a ways before you get there, but if midway through the second season it suddenly feels like you're watching a completely different show don't worry, it picks up again right near the end of the series. Also watch Fire Walk With Me after everything's said and done.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

7 seasons of Tales From the Crypt, Week One.

I'm up to episode 6 of Season 2 (12 of 81 episodes done). I'd have been much further along but I ended up writing a short 300-500 word...thing on each episode. I'm having lots of fun and based on OP's advice I'm considering starting a thread about it. I'm also debating whether said thread should be on Tales From the Crypt or 90's horror anthologies (Tales From the Crypt/Goosebumps/Are You Afraid of the Dark) or just anthologies in general. And should I criticize an episode's faults when it's based off of comics from the 40's that didn't try very hard in the first place?

Also I never realized how many big name actors were on this show. Demi Moore, Jeffrey Tambor, William Sadler, Joe Pantoliano, M. Emmet Walsh, William Hickey, Lance Henriksen, Kevin Tighe, Miguel Ferrer, Teri Hatcher, and it just goes on and on.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

7 seasons of Tales From the Crypt
Week 2

Two or three episodes from finishing the second season. This show man...this show...

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

It gets better again right near the end. Then watch Fire Walk With Me.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

When I went through Twin Peaks the first time I sort of looked at it like this:

Laura Palmer is a unicorn and Twin Peaks was the magical fairy forest she lived in with all her enchanted friends, but it's being filmed as a soap opera. Dale and the sheriff are knights, Pete is a bumbling mushroom gnome, and so on.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Maybe it's just me, but Supernatural is at its weakest when it involves the angels. The idea of angels can be terrifying, don't get me wrong, but they removed the mystery and power from them by making them as expendable and weak as demons. Angels are supposed to be these powerhouses of otherworldly eldritch kick-rear end but when you see teams of them get banished or killed every other episode (even if it's by their own hands) they come off as boring demons in suits. And it gets harder and harder to care about the politics and power-plays of heaven every time a new bad one (Michael's Former Second-in-Command's Assistant Summer Intern) gets introduced.

And it doesn't help that Castiel is the only angel who acts like Data, Tarzan, and Spock combined while the rest of them can comprehend idioms and spout pop culture references.

I only got a few episodes into the season where the angels fell and I just drifted away from it.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Halfway through season 3 of Tales from the Crypt. I might alter my Toxx if we can still do that. I've been marathoning it and I've been getting disturbing dreams. Dreams involving 1980's practical effects, disembodied brains, and ice-cream scoops.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Still stuck on Tales from the Crypt season 3. It's really no big thing. I can sit through half a season in one night and it's entertaining. So why is it so hard?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not enjoying Twin Peaks, which makes me really sad.

What's bugging you about it? Lynch isn't for everybody.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I have 54 episodes left and roughly 33 days to watch them.

Hoo boy.

Time to start spreadsheetin'

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Up to Season 5 of Tales From the Crypt

Whole lotta voodoo, siamese twins, unfaithful spouses, and casual murder going on.

e: Just wanted to throw in here that I have now seen Tim Curry cross-dressed as a wickedly ugly obese hunchbacked hillbilly hag going cowgirl on Ed Begley Jr, who has to force himself to have an erection while handcuffed to a bed.

:allears:

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 29, 2014

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Up to one third of the way through season 6. A lot of the episodes are cartoony owing to their source-material, but there was a really cool episode that felt a little like Jacob's Ladder-lite. It's called Skin Deep and if I were a beautiful slender blonde woman I know what I'd being going as for Halloween.

Stars Peter Onorati of Cop Rock fame as a guy who looks and acts not a little like Gob Bluth, if Gob Bluth was into violent sex.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

7 episodes left out of 92. I got this.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Finished mine a few days ago. Writing the 100+ word thing now. Will post in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

My mother had a series of strokes when I was a kid that left her unable to walk. To make it all the more depressing, the place we were living at the time had only two places for her to sleep; down a long flight of stairs in the basement or in the front room in a pink armchair. She made the pink armchair her own.

When you're a handicapped lower-class American in the 90's who doesn't have many prospects to begin with and you've been dealt a bad hand with armchair real-estate, there are few vices more enticing than television. She was in love with it. She ate breakfast with Regis and Matt Lauer, spent lunch with Days of Our Lives, wasted away the afternoons with the freak-shows of Povich and Springer, and settled in for the evening with whatever movie wandered on screen at the time. The crest of her life was over and the slope was getting steep. If religion is the opiate of the masses then for her at least, television was a decent painkiller.

I've been a night-owl for as long back as I can recall. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep so I'd lay awake in bed and tell myself stories or I'd get dressed and ride my bike around the neighborhood at four in the morning. But my favorite thing to do when sleep wouldn't come was to wander upstairs and sheepishly ask mom if I could watch TV with her (she had trouble sleeping too). People can judge mom all they like (and they do) but I'm grateful at least that she didn't change the channel when kid-inappropriate things came on. You see, on top of her love for TV in general, she also had a fondness for Horror. Cheesy, gory, stupid horror.

Now we weren't rich, but the people whom we were living with at the time were fortunate enough to have HBO. And that means 2 + 2 = Tales From the Crypt.

Tales From the Crypt was an anthology series from HBO, and each episode was based around a different EC horror comics story that ran through the 1950's. Horror anthologies themselves aren't unique but Tales From the Crypt was an odd duck. On the one hand you had a half-hour show with a budget, dozens of available A-list actors /writers /directors, and free-reign over censorship; but on the other hand, the show had to be based on some of the silliest, stupidest, most hackneyed stories ever written.

So basically, the goal was to have a lot of fun.

Actors got to let their hair down. Writers got to sit down and fart out a script. Directors got to mess around with one technique or another, or just coast along til it was done. It was like making a 22 minute short film without the stress of contractual obligations or trying hard to catch that elusive Oscar. It wasn't a TV role, but it wasn't a movie role either; it was some weird gray area in-between.

There's a certain love-hate attitude that surrounds the modern-day purposefully low-budget movie. You either love Sharknado or you hate Sharknado. You 'get' Black Dynamite or you don't see the appeal. Regardless these kinds of movies have an audience and a certain charm all their own. I'd go so far as to say Tales From the Crypt was prototypical of the genre in a backwards-rear end kind of way.

Good directors, good actors, good writers powered by quality sets, special effects, budgets, and genuine effort, crafted stories about misogynistic ventriloquist dummy arsonists, voodoo practicing pawn shop owners, ice-cream truck drivers with horrible secrets, and a cross-dressing Tim Curry as an obese hunchbacked hillbilly woman with a vagina ripe for the plucking.

And there is no subtlety or deeper meaning to these oddball episodes. Only a handful of the 93 attempt anything close to being artsy and even then they weren't trying very hard. Regardless, the screen was dripping with talent and elbow grease even if that screen happened to have werewolves, mummies, vampires, and people with deformities on it.

I'd like to start a thread at one point going through each episode, but I'm not sure how much or how little I should go into each one. Should I review them? Should I recap them? Do I spoil the episodes or do I tease the twist ending?

The past few months have been strange to say the least. Some of the spookier parts of my childhood stemmed from what I half-remembered about those late nights with mom. A man with a murdered conjoined twin stuck to his back; a dead person hanging in a freezer but completely aware of what was going on; a corpse that had been stuffed like a hunting trophy; these images haunted me like those old ghost stories that stick with you no matter how ridiculous they ended up sounding when you got older.

This entire experience was riddled with deja vu. Sometimes I wasn't aware that I'd seen the episode years before and it felt like seeing an old storybook your parents read to you when you were a kid. Sometimes I recognized the episode before I watched it and I kept counting down the minutes until I could finally see just what that hypnotist clown thing was all about.

Every time the intro started I was thrown twenty years into the past. I knew that the scary puppet man was going to jump out of the coffin and scream at me, but it was okay to watch until the camera started going down the winding staircase with all the faces on it. Then it could happen at any moment.

Would I recommend it? Yeah. I'd recommend a lot of great things from my childhood, but if you're not the kind of person who enjoys things that are stupid on purpose then you'll want to skip this one. From an objective television standpoint though it's a unique gem. And if you have a stable of character-actors you're a fan of then scan through the Wikipedia entries and see if they've guest-starred at one point or another. Chances are, they have.

My mom passed away almost a year after season six ended. The further back someone dies in your life the more fuzzy your memories of them are. There's a lot of memories I never got to share with my mom even when she was alive since her disease started taking her long before she was dead. I know it's useless to think about but I find myself wondering sometimes. What would life have been like if she'd stuck around? What kind of relationship would her and I have? What would she think of me? There aren't answers to these questions, and every year the memories fade further into the static. As time takes away the things that circumstances hadn't, I know I can at least look back on those cool autumn nights when my mom would hold me on the pink armchair upstairs and we'd watch Tales From the Crypt together.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 22, 2014

• Locked thread