Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Putting my hat in the ring: I know it doesn't sound like much but I am committing to one season of Twin Peaks with a stretch goal of Season 2. I'm willing to write about my impressions of every few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have watched all of Twin Peaks Season 1 and have started Season 2.

I had ideas of how I wanted to write-up Season 1 but forgot all of it, and went on and started Season 1 again because watching Season 2 so far is not making me happy.

The first season is quirky, but tolerably so. Season 2 is an all out farce. I will soldier on to finish Season 2, but it is rough.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm laughing/cringing/moved by the various character's reactions to Laura Palmer's death, though. Almost everyone seems to fall apart the instant they hear she's dead, into these ridiculous, totally un-tv, and yet completely real hiccup sobs from which they just can't be roused. It's utterly hysterical, but the various characters standing at the margins who are sort of tapping their feet and waiting for the plot to start are relatable figures.

Just about everyone's reactions, I suppose, are mostly normal except for the Palmers. The Mom is just completely batshit. The Dad makes an insane turn later on that is just weird.

quote:

Can't decide if Bobby's hot or the Dork Who Walks, though that's probably part of the attraction. The teens in general are, umm, a strange sort of gangly group. Not sure what to make of them yet.

The most hilarious thing is that out of all the 'teens', the youngest looking one isn't in school (Madchen Amick)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think I'm halfway through Twin Peaks Season 2. Despite all my bitching about how terrible the first episode or two were in terms of making it look like a farce, the show got a lot better as the season went on.

It is still jarring, however, to have an intro/opening credits, for some reason.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just finished both seasons of Twin Peaks. The stuff that pissed me off about the beginning of Season 2 largely dropped off and it was pretty smooth from there. It was still a little far out in some aspects, and I could see how it was cancelled.

Once I gather my thoughts about the whole ordeal I'll post more. But really it's just a bunch of not getting a few things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Toxxed myself to watch the first season of Twin Peaks.
I ended up watching both seasons.

Twin Peaks is, from what I can tell, a Soap Opera about the well-to-do in a small town in the Great Northwest. Only this soap opera has been possessed by the evil spirits of the woods. The spirits infested this well-meaning story with hokey spirituality and dark comedy.

The manner of which the evil spirits affected the lives of those in Twin Peaks is certainly something I should have thought a lot more about before opening this post with such a dumb paragraph as the one above.

Maybe I'll rewatch the series and approach it from this standpoint: All of the events the evil spirits set in motion were not a random escaping of evil, but a deliberate act of self-preservation.

The big problem with that is assuming the evil spirits of the woods are supernatural to the extent that they would know the future. Or, really, even knowing enough about what they could have done to change the course of the town.

Before I stop infuriating you with this lack of intellect and/or insight, I'll leave the assumption at this: The evil spirits/black lodge conspired to change the path that the path Twin Peaks was taking in order to stop their forest from being destroyed. They allowed Mike to kill Laura Palmer which would cause events to cascade to the point where not only would the resort not be built by Horne, but when Horne loses in his bid to win the land: he conspires to make it impossible for the Packards/Martell to as well.

Enough of that.

At the time Twin Peaks came out, I was 12. I had recently moved into a new house, in a new development, in a new town. While it was still in the most populated county of the state- we were around corn. And a lot of empty lots. It was pretty drat boring. Fridays were just another night where there wasn't much to do (no kids I knew nearby that were my age), and I used to go grocery shopping with my Mom (something I had done for years before that). Despite the better house, we still only had one TV. So, whatver my parents watched- I watched. Friday evenings were usually me either doing stuff in my room upstairs or half paying attention to that venerable CBS Friday night soap opera that my Mom could NOT miss: Dallas.

Dallas was boring to me. It was also really weird. I missed the important episode why these really loving rich oil people all had to live in the same house and only had one loving telephone. They lived in this place that always looked warm, but never seemed to be outside. That was the Ewings. The Barnes? Clifford seemed to live in some combination chateau/apartment.

That show, Falcon Crest, and Knots Landing were probably some of the inspirations that Twin Peaks drew from. I don't necessarily include daytime soaps, even though I probably should. Daytime soaps were shot a lot differently, even if they had a bit more melodrama than the prime time ones.

So, even though Twin Peaks had a bit of buzz and hype coming into it (an understatement), just hearing the opening theme and the slow build of the first episode- the character introductions and the interpersonal drama- my kid mind probably turned right off. I can't remember how much my parents liked it. However, I do seem to recall Cheers having a pretty strong year. Perhaps we just watched that instead.

Even though I hardly paid attention to a lot of poo poo back then, I still wish I would have been more aware of things back then. I wish I could understand Twin Peaks more from the perspective of the era that it was released in- relative to everything else going on at the time.

Upon watching the pilot again for the first time, I was still slightly repulsed by the opening music. But, this time I'm aware that there's more to the show. So I stick with, and I'm glad that I did.

This has gone on long enough I think so I'll post more later. Next part will be what I think about the characters.

• Locked thread