Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Okay, I'll play. I'll watch the first two seasons of Game of Thrones.

I read the books and didn't like them overly much but everyone says that this is one of the few instances of a show being better than the books and OHMYGODYOUHAVETOWATCHIT!!!

If nothing else it will get those people off my back.

Edit: I don't have time to start until 4th of July weekend so please start my update timer then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

If anyone wants to participate and can't think of a show, I highly recommend The Shield.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

My Toxx was the first two seasons of Game of Thrones.

The reason I was initially hesitant to watch this show was because I read the books and just couldn't get into them. I stopped reading midway through A Feast for Crows. The story just seems to go off track in that book. It's actually one of the few books/series I haven't completed, and I read all of Wheel of Time.

In my experience books are usually better than whatever movie or TV show is made off of them so if I didn't like the books I figured I'd hate the show but wow...I couldn't have been more wrong. This is probably the only time I can think of where a visual format is far better than the original written material.

The fist few episodes of getting to know the characters I was surprised that they all for the most part matched what I imagined in my head that they would look like. The only one that I was iffy on was Jon Snow for some reason. I also didn't think I could love Tyrion anymore than I already did until I saw Peter Dinklage bring him to life. I'm also on the fence about Lena Headey as Cersei. I loathed Cersei in the books but Lena plays her in such a way that I feel a bit of sadness or empathy for her.

I honestly don't give a poo poo about Bran though. I didn't care about him in the book and I don't care about his journey in the show outside of HODOR!!! Am I alone in this? Does it get better?

Ned...I knew it was coming and all that but it still was pretty amazing to see. Usually knowing what is going to happen ruins things for me but the anticipation made it better in this case.

When reading the books I didn't find Daenerys as interesting as the other characters but in the show I've found the opposite to be true, with certain acceptions. I really, really like Emilia Clarke as Daenerys. Another person I've been really impressed with is Maisie Williams as Arya. Arya is probably second to Tyrion on my favorite character list and I wondered if they could find someone the characters age to actually portray her and do her justice and Maisie knocks it out the park.

I think it's also safe to say that I've never hated a character as much as I hate Joffery. I hated him in the books and I hate him even more on the show. Jack Gleeson's face makes me want to punch the screen and he doesn't even have to open his mouth. The show has followed the books pretty faithfully so far and I really hope there are certain scenes from the book in the future on the show.

I was thinking about digging up the old threads for the first two seasons but I heard they were a bit of a train wreck. Are they worth reading?

I tried to not post anything spoilery or overly plot driven. I think I was more interested in the characters coming to life since I already knew the story. The Toxx was for the first two seasons but I'm certainly going to continue. There is a certain wedding or two I want to see played out. Also, dragons!

How are the books and the seasons lining up? I'm hoping since I stopped reading the books, with no intention to start again, eventually they'll get to a point where I can watch without knowing what's coming.

Edit: Brienne!!!! Another one that did not fit what I had in my head. I pictured this husky, homely, built like a brick poo poo house looking woman with a pock marked face. On the show it looks like they took a pretty woman and just tried to make her less pretty.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 22, 2014

• Locked thread