Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
So a bit of the shine is coming off the game for me, unfortunately. The grind is more heinous than I thought, and after the event last night and seeing how gems are blowing up on Lash, I can see the p2w at the end of the tunnel. I find the arenas very fun, and like the idea of being in a tournament, but that can only carry things so far. Add to that my fiance bitching me out last night about gaming too much, and I've decided I'm going to take a brief break. I may come back if when I think about it the game seems worth coming back to, but for now feel free to demote me down to member and give somebody else Wushu goon leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

treizebee posted:

Reminder for those who haven't placed bets yet on the Jianghu games.
The bet only costs 10 bound gold. You get something win or lose. The rewards are really good, so do it.

The table is split top half-bottom half.
My cheat sheet for best bets :

SupX (my bet) - One of the best Shaolins in our server. Can land every acupuncture. Dude's really aggressive though, which is risky in the initial single elimination games.

Chunkychen - Also one of the best Shaolins, and one of the 3 goons drawn. Known to kill everyone anywhere. Still can't use 3D mode. :arghfist::butt:

Reithien - The best Splendor in the game. Extremely good at the ridiculous combo. Counterpoint : He's a splendor...That only gets you so far.

HiC - The SnM formerly known as Prince Best Goon Fighter. Known to 3-0 teams in KoF. However, is in the toughest quarter and table half. Tends to die to Martial Wutangs.

YouLose - A Martial Wutang. Plays like he knows what you are going to do before you do. Hasn't been around for a while and might even be afk during the tournament...

Dele rounds up the third goon present, but will have to face Reithien in the next round. So GL!
I wouldn't put any stake in Clare. Never impressed me, and doesn't have time to fight in Arenas due to all the level farming.

The games' standout players were luckily drawn in separate quarter, so any bet on those players is a decent chance of getting to the semis.

Starts in 4 days.

I may or may not be mad about getting skipped over during the draw.

Hmm interesting. Any rationale on why Splendors are so weak? I know currently in TW it seems the Wutang and Shaolin are running rampart in tournaments, mostly due to their tankiness and insta self heals.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

skystream92 posted:

Hmm interesting. Any rationale on why Splendors are so weak? I know currently in TW it seems the Wutang and Shaolin are running rampart in tournaments, mostly due to their tankiness and insta self heals.

I mentioned this to treizebee when he questioned my vote for a Splendor: in the last tournament, the two 'best' Splendors were put up against each other in the first round, so one was immediately eliminated. The other one still made it to the quarter finals.

The tournaments that happened prior to our current patch, which introduced a minor Splendor nerf among changes to most schools, pretty much always had a Splendor coming up in the quarter finals, frequently semi-finals and finals.

I think their presence in tournaments is simply a question of popularity. More experienced players will eventually realize that Harmony and Splendor have severe drawbacks in PvE, and that both schools tend to be more difficult to do well with in arenas for the average player, and thus other schools will start to become a greater presence in tournaments. In the Chinese servers, Wu-Tang and Shaolin are quite popular and they tend to take up a good portion of the 32 spots in the Jianghu Games. That doesn't mean the other schools are bad, but when 24 of the 32 spots are randomly seeded, the less popular schools aren't going to be well represented.

Also, I've read quite a bit about both Splendor and Harmony in the Chinese boards/guides and there's rarely any complaints about Splendor's performance in arena. Harmony isn't so lucky.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 21, 2014

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

The only thing P2W is gems. Gems which are a big deal now since we're only ~lvl 50 and the gap of not having gems decreases with each level we go up. Not to mention there's probably tier 2 gems dropping from other locations we haven't figured out yet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I've gotten Tier 2 gems from the mirage cavern.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Third World Reggin posted:

I've gotten Tier 2 gems from the mirage cavern.

Yep, I've got some as well. And so did Ecchi when we ran it today. I'm level 53 and he was 49 then. I'm almost certain that T3 gems start dropping at higher levels, and it wouldn't surprise me if T4 gems do as well.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Considering how much fun-having I missed passing on wushu, i'm in on this bish.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

ShadowMoo posted:

Considering how much fun-having* I missed passing on wushu, i'm in on this bish.
*sad consternation at the game poor management and lost opportunities

Fixed this for you.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

There was nothing to fix, the game was great when it first came out.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Haroshia posted:

So a bit of the shine is coming off the game for me, unfortunately. The grind is more heinous than I thought, and after the event last night and seeing how gems are blowing up on Lash, I can see the p2w at the end of the tunnel. I find the arenas very fun, and like the idea of being in a tournament, but that can only carry things so far. Add to that my fiance bitching me out last night about gaming too much, and I've decided I'm going to take a brief break. I may come back if when I think about it the game seems worth coming back to, but for now feel free to demote me down to member and give somebody else Wushu goon leadership.

I kind of agree. The leveling grind is extremely high, and this game seems not so much "skill based" as I had hoped. Arena definitely is yes, but confining that to just a small portion of the game doesn't seem to lend itself "skill based" when the entire end game is p2w. I'm starting to question how much more time I want to spend in this game.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I dunno the dungeons and pve are a lot more interesting than something like age of wushu with blocking and countering bosses. Playing a dungeon solo is a lot of fun to me because if you are on top of it you can defeat a ton of stuff that would kill you if you just stood there face tanking everything wushu style.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Hy_C posted:

There was nothing to fix, the game was great when it first came out.

If by "first came out" you refer to early, 1st-2nd internal Blue Dragon days then yes, i agree with you. Sadly the game never improved with time and for every thing gained another was lost.

Between the bots, Snail abyssal customer relation, option for hackers to "buy back" on their past felonies, every new server opening killing one of the already established ones and the Pay to win sets the game was just a series of disappointment.

Sadly in my case that's probably just the sunken cost resentment speaking. Swordsman Online fun parts are much closer to the surface and so far seem to be managed in a professional way. The new fashion looks a little silly and The spambots overflowing the mailbox is a problem but nothing horrible like the Steal Script bots of wushu past.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 22, 2014

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Lib in your level write up did you happen to notice if skill sets on the items counted as part of the random attribute roll?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Quake! I tried telling you in guild chat but I guess you're botting or something. There's a guy currently selling Horn Coral IIIs for 10g a piece, near the stash in Luo Yang. He had 8 for sale last I checked.

Edit: Someone named bM selling Thorn Coral IIIs and Horn Coral IIIs for 9g a piece. Only has three of the former and one of the latter, though.

skystream92 posted:

I kind of agree. The leveling grind is extremely high, and this game seems not so much "skill based" as I had hoped. Arena definitely is yes, but confining that to just a small portion of the game doesn't seem to lend itself "skill based" when the entire end game is p2w. I'm starting to question how much more time I want to spend in this game.

The 'p2w' argument is coming from a position of poor understanding about things we haven't even seen yet. Haro was freaking out over lost arts being p2w when none of us has seen one yet and what the Chinese boards say about them doesn't indicate they are that powerful.

What we do know about the game is that in the Chinese servers, gear is cheap and easy to obtain. Most people stop at level 60 set gear because of its price and availability, which makes it easy to get good rolls on. Good rolled level 60 set gear at that level is better than average level 80+ legendaries.

The gem thing. Now that's a different matter entirely. Yes, gems are insanely powerful. Yes, someone who spends hundreds or thousands of dollars to get level 5/6 gems will indeed be ahead of everyone else for a while. But there are some facts to consider:

• Already are level 3 gems not too difficult to obtain.
  • In the Chinese servers, level 4 gems are considered the most cost effective, and so the ones most commonly used. Level 5 gems are considered the 'last step', and level 6 gems are practically never used. Level 6 gems provide a 7% boost over level 5 gems. Some Chinese players actively complain that they can't buy power through level 6 gems when everyone has 4s and 5s in their gear, but c'est la vie.
  • Again in the Chinese servers, one level 4 gem is a few gold. I've seen Amethyst IVs, one of the best Harmony gems, for as low as 5G. I saw someone advertising Thorn Coral IVs for 7.5G. Sadly, as most ads are for RMT, I can't be certain of these numbers.
  • Gems are the most 'permanent' form of gear in the game. They do not bind (unless you chose to), they can be safely extracted from gear, and from level 2 and on they are not worth vendoring or destroying. It's absolutely inevitable that gems are going to continually drop in price. And each gem you purchase can be considered a long term investment; The gear you have may eventually be replaced, but that gem certainly won't.

BERGfu posted:

Lib in your level write up did you happen to notice if skill sets on the items counted as part of the random attribute roll?

They aren't counted. I didn't look into the maximum number of skill bonuses you can get from each gear tier, but I do know they are effectively independent from the stat rolls. One thing to keep in mind is that to my knowledge, crafted 7-star gear can't have skill bonuses while legendaries and set gear can, so the gap between the best crafted gear and everything else isn't as large as it appears.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 22, 2014

Natalie_Luna
Jun 18, 2013

Darn wrong post .-.

Natalie_Luna fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 22, 2014

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Eme'i are basically invincible in instances at low levels. Just soloed the first instance with poo poo gear at 16. What is the best thing to do with green and blue drops you can't use, sell them or is there some kind of disassembly system?

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 22, 2014

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

ShadowMoo posted:

Eme'i are basically invincible in instances at low levels. Just soloed the first instance with poo poo gear at 16. What is the best thing to do with green and blue drops you can't use, sell them or is there some kind of disassembly system?

Upgrade your gear with it. That's pretty much the main purpose of greens, and the main purpose of botting. Blues tend to be valuable once you get into the 40+ instances, though, as we're talking about set pieces.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ShadowMoo posted:

There is a disassembly system of sorts - you can refine gear with other gear. This destroys the trash you can't use and gives experience to the gear you are upgrading. The primary method of doing this later on in the game is using Self Cultivation (an in-game bot that unlocks at 30 and is usable at 35) to grind a bunch of enemies for you to get a bunch of drops to upgrade your gear.

I wouldn't really bother with getting more than +1 on your gear until your leveling pace slows down. Around 40 is a good point to start caring about gear refinement since your gear will last more than a few hours. At around 50, your gear will last for a couple of weeks or so, and at around 60 is when you start hunting for well rolled items and upgrading those, apparently.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Liberatore posted:

The 'p2w' argument is coming from a position of poor understanding about things we haven't even seen yet. Haro was freaking out over lost arts being p2w when none of us has seen one yet and what the Chinese boards say about them doesn't indicate they are that powerful.

What we do know about the game is that in the Chinese servers, gear is cheap and easy to obtain. Most people stop at level 60 set gear because of its price and availability, which makes it easy to get good rolls on. Good rolled level 60 set gear at that level is better than average level 80+ legendaries.

The gem thing. Now that's a different matter entirely. Yes, gems are insanely powerful. Yes, someone who spends hundreds or thousands of dollars to get level 5/6 gems will indeed be ahead of everyone else for a while. But there are some facts to consider:

• Already are level 3 gems not too difficult to obtain.
  • In the Chinese servers, level 4 gems are considered the most cost effective, and so the ones most commonly used. Level 5 gems are considered the 'last step', and level 6 gems are practically never used. Level 6 gems provide a 7% boost over level 5 gems. Some Chinese players actively complain that they can't buy power through level 6 gems when everyone has 4s and 5s in their gear, but c'est la vie.
  • Again in the Chinese servers, one level 4 gem is a few gold. I've seen Amethyst IVs, one of the best Harmony gems, for as low as 5G. I saw someone advertising Thorn Coral IVs for 7.5G. Sadly, as most ads are for RMT, I can't be certain of these numbers.
  • Gems are the most 'permanent' form of gear in the game. They do not bind (unless you chose to), they can be safely extracted from gear, and from level 2 and on they are not worth vendoring or destroying. It's absolutely inevitable that gems are going to continually drop in price. And each gem you purchase can be considered a long term investment; The gear you have may eventually be replaced, but that gem certainly won't.

That's interesting to know. Reading the Bahamut TW forums seemed to have indicated that people's biggest complaints were the p2w gems, but perhaps it was being blown out of proportion.

StorGondul
Apr 28, 2014
Hi Hello retrying this as Harmony under MaiDongLong, will need basics.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

So basically just put what gems you have at whatever level to off set the difference between you and the pay to gem guys

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Applied as GwaiLo

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So to install this game you have to install that stupid ARC launcher eh?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

So to install this game you have to install that stupid ARC launcher eh?

Welcome to China Steam aka Star Trek online

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BERGfu posted:

Welcome to China Steam aka Star Trek online

Except I already have STO installed via steam :colbert:

Welp, here's to the chinamen stealing all my infos.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That install lasted all of 10 minutes. Not my type of game for sure :shobon:

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyXhysmMNhE

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

Always be yourself, unless you can be Batman.

No Eagle Claw/10

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

So I decided to look into the numbers, and apparently level 6 gems are actually 28% better than level 5 gems; I don't know how those posters came up with 7%. This comes out to about 320 more STR/WIL for a full set of Thorns/Horns, or around 16-5.5% more STR/WIL depending on how well geared you are. I also noticed that well rolled gear played a bigger role than level 5/6 gems, with some dude with level 3/4 gems and otherwise great gear having better stats than someone with level 5/6 gems but mediocre gear otherwise.

Level 5 gems are 60% better than level 4 gems, and level 4 gems are 114% better than level 3 gems.

The most commonly used gear is level 60 set pieces or level 62-68 crafted gear. The latter are basically slightly better than level 60 legendaries in practice, and much cheaper. Level 80 crafted 6-star gear is also relatively common, but I've yet to see someone wearing more than one piece of 7-star gear or any level 70/80 set pieces at all, probably due to the relative difficulty of obtaining these items and the odds of them coming with good rolls.

Also, the best weapons in the game should be introduced in an upcoming major update. You basically get a daily quest (event?), and after X number of days, you can buy a silver weapon. If you skip that, after Y number of days, you can buy a gold weapon. These weapons are level 50 and have better stats than level 80 6 or 7-star weapons.

Compared to level 80 6-star weapons, silver weapons have about 48% more STR/WILL, and their base attack is 408 (versus 303). Gold weapons have 90% more STR/WIL than level 80 6-star weapons, and a base attack of 474. However their biggest advantage is that they're the only items that can be upgraded to +12, which puts the gold and silver weapons at 4748 and 4492 base attack respectively, versus 2675 for a +10 level 80 weapon.

P.S.: I estimate the jump from level 60 to level 80 gear is around 10-30% depending on type and rolls. Having good rolls and good gems on your +10 level 60 gear is going to be far, far more important than being the first person to put on a piece of level 80 6-star gear.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 23, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
So how many days is Y days? 365?

Liberatore posted:

P.S.: I estimate the jump from level 60 to level 80 gear is around 10-30% depending on type and rolls. Having good rolls and good gems on your +10 level 60 gear is going to be far, far more important than being the first person to put on a piece of level 80 6-star gear.
You can look at gear stats up to level 100 on the hero order vendors. After 50 it flattens out a lot.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I guess 60 gear being good is nice since the grind 60+ is getting really soul-crushing, i got bored of the mandatory bamboo and hijacks/day very soon after hitting 60.

The fun part of the game seems to be the arenas so far though where gear mostly doesn't matter and the only reason to level past 40 is to get another skillslot at 60.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

The guide I found says 100 days for silver and 240 days for gold, but it implies there's a way of speeding it up. As far as I know, the patch that introduced those weapons launched on April 28 (86 days ago), and both gold and silver weapons are relatively common now.

Kylra posted:

You can look at gear stats up to level 100 on the hero order vendors. After 50 it flattens out a lot.

Yeah, but there's more factors to consider, such as bad stat rolls and relative availability. It's going to be much easier to find say, level 60 set gear with STR and TEN than level 80 6-star gear with STR, TEN and three stat rolls that are half as good as those. Potentially the level 80 6-star stuff is a lot better, but in practice that may not be the case.

Delerion posted:

I guess 60 gear being good is nice since the grind 60+ is getting really soul-crushing, i got bored of the mandatory bamboo and hijacks/day very soon after hitting 60.

The fun part of the game seems to be the arenas so far though where gear mostly doesn't matter and the only reason to level past 40 is to get another skillslot at 60.

I don't mind the daily bamboo and hijacks because that's a total of 25 minutes a day at worst, and bamboo ultimately contributes to skill upgrades that do have an effect in arenas. What really annoys me are the ways of speeding up the leveling process; the big one being dungeon grinding (if you play a school that can't bot there, anyway), which is pretty time consuming.

Overall I spend more time watching/fighting in arenas than anything else though, and I've managed to keep up just fine.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 23, 2014

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

We need to do more 60 instance start getting on earlier 60s :argh:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Lets start doing the guild feast after massacre. United does theirs at 1900 every day and we can mooch off of that and get two feast buffs every day. With one for free.

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

Pulled my other character out of the guild because I wasn't feeling the 5V. Can I get an invite on my new guy? Name is Wade.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The game is going "live" on the 29th. We'll get access to THE DEMON PIT whatever that is. And supposedly more anti-bot measures.

BobTheVillain
Apr 25, 2009

The perfect counter argument, coming right up.

Delerion posted:

I could never decide on one school so I ended up getting an Infinity, Five venoms and a Shaolin to 40, now I just sit in the arena all day. Much preferred the Wushu way of leveling and can't get into this one.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Just grab feasts and do guild events and you'll slowly level up with little to no effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Kylra posted:

The game is going "live" on the 29th. We'll get access to THE DEMON PIT whatever that is. And supposedly more anti-bot measures.

According to the forums it's another way to get skill scrolls besides world without thieves and arena, Thank the gently caress god.

• Locked thread