Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

The Quake posted:

According to the forums it's another way to get skill scrolls besides world without thieves and arena, Thank the gently caress god.

If it is another timezone lockout thing...well, I don't know. I'll probably do nothing about it. Stop being racist (time-ist?) against your moon brothers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Blacktooth posted:

If it is another timezone lockout thing...well, I don't know. I'll probably do nothing about it. Stop being racist (time-ist?) against your moon brothers!

Of which there's like... Two? As far as I know, Way of the Dragon and matched arena (which isn't even working) are the only events that happen only during the night, if you exclude the Sunday world bosses, which most of us don't even do anyway. Bamboo happens twice a day, at 12:00-14:00 and at 20:00-22:00. Vermin and Mirage happen every two hours. Blade Rain Gang is every hour.

If there's anything this game does right over Wushu it's not locking people out of important events because they can't play during a specific period in the night.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 24, 2014

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Liberatore posted:

Of which there's like... Two? As far as I know, Way of the Dragon and matched arena (which isn't even working) are the only events that happen only during the night, if you exclude the Sunday world bosses, which most of us don't even do anyway. Bamboo happens twice a day, at 12:00-14:00 and at 20:00-22:00. Vermin and Mirage happen every two hours. Blade Rain Gang is every hour.

If there's anything this game does right over Wushu it's not locking people out of important events because they can't play during a specific period in the night.

I normally get home from work just before 24:00 server time. If I rush right in directly to my PC, login, and spam the poo poo out of chat for a Mirage group I might get one or two in provided we beat the bots. :effort: Vermin is already over by then. Bamboo has been shut for almost 2 hours. 10, 11, and 12 hours later I am either sleeping or back at work. The simple fact is if you live on the other side of the planet, and keep somewhat normal hours you are indeed locked out of the three most popular events. I am sure there is a good reason for that 10-12 hour break, but I fail to see it.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Blacktooth posted:

I normally get home from work just before 24:00 server time. If I rush right in directly to my PC, login, and spam the poo poo out of chat for a Mirage group I might get one or two in provided we beat the bots. :effort: Vermin is already over by then. Bamboo has been shut for almost 2 hours. 10, 11, and 12 hours later I am either sleeping or back at work. The simple fact is if you live on the other side of the planet, and keep somewhat normal hours you are indeed locked out of the three most popular events. I am sure there is a good reason for that 10-12 hour break, but I fail to see it.

I forgot that Vermin and Mirage only start at 10/11. And yeah, it sucks. I was thinking more of EU rather than Oceania/SEA.

Honestly, since Bamboo is an once a day thing no matter what, and Vermin/Mirage happen every 2 hours for most of the day, I don't see why they don't just let us do Bamboo anytime and forget about that 10 hour period where neither Vermin nor Mirage can be done.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Hello Wade

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Coming this weekend: parrots and fox mounts (for charging sycee).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Does this game have the crazy emotes from Wushu

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Jackard posted:

Does this game have the crazy emotes from Wushu

It does and then some.

Also I'm not gonna be around much for maybe a week or two some family stuff going on.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Personally, I'm finding that the biggest drag in the game is that you've got to wait to Level 20 to join a guild, and thereby get in on Goonchat.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Most of it happens on mumble anyway.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Aleth posted:

Coming this weekend: parrots and fox mounts (for charging sycee).

1/25 of the price Snail charged for its first pet and 1/2 of the asked price for the first non-random reward mount (the donkey). I wonder how many people will buy it only because those prices seem reasonable compared to what Snail charged.

That fox looks really cunning. Almost as if it had recently been appointed professor of cunning at Oxford.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I'd like to be on helping the massacre but arc login servers are toast right now.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

In as Sujian!

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

Hi

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Aleth posted:

I'd like to be on helping the massacre but arc login servers are toast right now.

You didn't miss anything. When you login you will probably still get the reward

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

BERGfu posted:

You didn't miss anything. When you login you will probably still get the reward

Maybe if he logged on within an hour. I doubt the rewards would still be applied much later than that.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Yeah, a couple days ago I took a nap and missed the guild event by about one hour. No reward.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Hrm... I think this guy might just be telling me sweet lies.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Jianghu games are happening soon. Come watch HyC and ChunkyChen lose.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
HyC did pretty well considering how rusty he was and how little practice he had with that combo he was using.

\/ Yeah, it's been quite entertaining. Shame there were so many defaults though.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 26, 2014

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Aleth posted:

HyC did pretty well considering how rusty he was and how little practice he had with that combo he was using.

I don't give a gently caress. HiC rocked YouLose and put Rot to shame. 100% greatness. This Arena Tourney is a real nail biter it's really fun to watch.

angellinck
Jul 9, 2014
Even though I lost to a great player, I enjoyed playing in it, and watching the fights. IT was very VERY entertaining.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Aleth posted:

\/ Yeah, it's been quite entertaining. Shame there were so many defaults though.

I told HyC what why his combo didn't work half the time and how to fix it less than one hour before the tournament started. That's when he decided to start playing his Sun and Moon again. Had he been practicing these past few weeks I think he could have made it to the finals at least.

I saw a lot people who abstained, like Clare and Rainz, shortly after their fights. So I believe at least some of them got locked out, which is unfortunate.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 27, 2014

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm on an ancient China kick after playing Dynasty Warriors, thought I might try this instead of Wushu after the way Snail bungled everything for so long. As a former Wushu player I'd like to know if this game has something like the wine vomit skill, mostly for how it looked but I also miss being able to run up to someone and then knock them over and disorient them.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Emei has several skills that incapacitate people that are AOE. You will need to access their 3rd set at lvl 40 to be really effective. These are poison based not vomit though so don't have the same animation. There is a jianghu drunk set coming next patch. You will need to be a beggar or poor person to access this. Our google translation of chinese wikis suggest this just involves a short quest and passing all money to an alt.

Edit: made you a new banner for next thread grithok.

Anal Papist fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 27, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

They just had to make this difficult with stats giving different things for different schools.

So does this mean that 5V has the second best sustained defenses in the game behind Wu-Tang or do different schools get vastly different amounts of base stats per level too?

Unguided posted:

I'm on an ancient China kick after playing Dynasty Warriors, thought I might try this instead of Wushu after the way Snail bungled everything for so long. As a former Wushu player I'd like to know if this game has something like the wine vomit skill, mostly for how it looked but I also miss being able to run up to someone and then knock them over and disorient them.
5 Venoms has a long duration area knockdown field composed of a pink mist and bugs. The pink one at 30 seconds here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m8CSWCnrdA

You also get things that can knock people around some. Also a whip grab nut stomp. Basically 5v is packed with rear end in a top hat CC stuff. Even the area damage stuff will snare people, prevent them from moving or disable skills while setting them on fire. 5V's skills are just sometimes tricky to use because of the "over time" aspect that usually sticks to the ground instead of the targets in the area.

I like it though. 5 Venoms 4 Ever.

E: Nut stomp and CC field stacking in pvp with a very slow reacting 5V visible here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvGIB4bSDw

Kylra fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 27, 2014

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, venoms is a lot of fun and watching people panic as you turn the floor into a death pit never gets old.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Kylra posted:

They just had to make this difficult with stats giving different things for different schools.

So does this mean that 5V has the second best sustained defenses in the game behind Wu-Tang or do different schools get vastly different amounts of base stats per level too?

I'm pretty sure base stats are different, but not significantly so. 5V has good defenses but that doesn't necessarily translate to good sustain; From what we know Mitigation is more important for PvE sustain, and a good combination of all defensive stats should be the way to go for PvP.

It's hard to really quantify all that when we consider the massive difference between each school's heals, or the lack of any healing in the first place (Splendor, Harmony and Tong). Infinity has some of the best stats overall, but their heal is only truly good once you have level 5 speed upgrades on it. Meanwhile the 5V heal is great no matter what.

Edit: That and CC/AoE damage plays a big role too. When you're botting, easily applicable AoE or high ranged damage are the best things you can have. Harmony doesn't have either. What it does have is efficient (Chi cost wise) damage; Once you have the gear to back it up, you start catching up to other schools in botting efficiency, but until then you're a worthless sack of poo poo who spends significantly more drive per world energy and drinks potions like an addict.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 27, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Well if we factor in CC then 5V is going to start being even better.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK Im back from my 29 days in fort loving nowhere and I want to start playing this. Im in as Animes the emei midget.

Should have called her anorexia instead, I dont think I can stomach playing a character that looks like a tiny noodle person. :gonk:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Found my bloody 60 set pendant at last for a measly 6g, so now I have the full 8 piece bonus of +166 to all stats. Oh, and Lib got his loving skill scroll finally in Thieves.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

So after much testing with what effectively amounted to 4 Harmonies, the school is broken. The main and only 'viable' combo, no matter how you do it, is blockable in action/aim mode. I remember reading about this issue in some Chinese forums/guides, indicating that the school was fundamentally broken in arenas, but couldn't figure out what they meant until now.

So if you're thinking about playing it, just keep in mind that it's virtually impossible to win against a good player (in arenas) who knows of this tactic.

The funny thing is only two of us (Ecchi and Chunky) knew of this until today, and had we informed HyC, he would have won his fight in the tournament against Hanzhou.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
In as Rafza, reminds me of the fun times in Wushu!

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Liberatore posted:

So after much testing with what effectively amounted to 4 Harmonies, the school is broken. The main and only 'viable' combo, no matter how you do it, is blockable in action/aim mode.

It is also blockable in 3d mode. When you get acupunctured, just press your free-aim button (which turns it into action mode), and press block.

rip harmony

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I'm in as Wutangsecret, this is the first time i try a game like this and the controls are really weird.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Patch notes for later today:

quote:

NEW CONTENT

Players will be able to enter the Demon Pit. Brave the depths of this 9 floor catacomb to claim powerful equipment and precious gems, but beware its master, the Crystal Empress, who leads a ghostly host against all who would plunder her domain. Entrances will appear in various Dungeon Depths at 15:10, 17:10, 19:10, 21:10, and 23:10 every day.

IMPROVEMENTS**

Captchas are now required to enter the Mirage Cavern and Vermin Lair event instances.
All drops from the Mirage Cavern and Vermin Lair event instances are now bound, except for Ancient Coins.

BUG FIXES

Translated text that appears in Bandit Camp Hijack missions.
Translated text that appears in various Bounty Board missions.
Added description text to various Marketplace items.

**These efforts and improvements are being made to curb both the practice of and rewards from botting. We'll continue to combat it and make sure that you will always have a fair and enjoyable experience while playing Swordsman.

Yay, captchas.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I'm honestly kind of surprised they are so upfront about the bottling. Most companies would just pretend nothing is happening and some other excuse to implement these things.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Aleth posted:

Patch notes

Entrances will appear in various Dungeon Depths at 15:10, 17:10, 19:10, 21:10, and 23:10 every day.

Godammit :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Wait the entrances are in an open pvp zone. Guys this means it's punch time!

• Locked thread