Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aleksendr
May 14, 2014

BERGfu posted:

This thread is beautiful.

Whoever did the "make it tso" image merit a kiss and a hug from a partner of his sexual preference.

i know it looks like this is Wushu second coming and that everything is going to be perfect but lets not get overhyped. Perfect world has run many other mmo as pure cashgrab before and there is no reason for them to stop. Luckily for this game they understand the west gaming culture and infrastructure better than Snail, but that may be a boon as much as a curse. If you look at the official forums, carebears and highsec miners are already clamoring for PVE and PVP servers division.

For all its poor decision, mismanagement, P2W, poo poo ui, goofy translation and horrible ping, AOW is pleasantly different than the themepark mmo EQ and WoW defined and kept in popularity, something nothing in the "AA" arena outside of EVE and the upcoming Archeage seem to offer

I fear that the price for stability and a more polished game will be the lack of innovation from the usual mmo model, a model i personally cant stand anymore. I did the 1-35 part during CBT on a sun and moon and on a Harmony and it was very boring, the game playing like a html website where you just have to click on quest links. Once i could do PVP any opportunity to do so outside arena saw me ganked by whiteknights nobly avenging whatever pubbies i killed, unlike AoW where unless you go heavy with AOE to piss off people nobody outside the target guild care.

For crafting the absence of bench to limit production is a non issue. All MMO with crafting put a "rare" component in its higher recipes to prevent market flooding. You might not need a bench, but that "jade tear" you need as a material might take 20 hour of grinding to drop, or only drop from event boss for extra fun.

I read that more interesting options open once you get past 35, but having to slog trough a mile of swamp to get to a nice place is not a plus in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It takes like 5 hours to get to the thirties in this game. 5 hours in AoW got you like 3 levels into your first school internal.

Also AoW has been turning less and less sandboxy with each patch. Right now most of the content people are going trough are pve weather events (that are on a set, predictable schedule) and faction grind (which is an entire WoW esque daily quest grind for rep). A lot of the "sandbox" elements in the game have been abandoned by the player base because they are busy going on the new rides or simply because Snail ineptitude has rendered them horribly unfun and/or unrewarding.

On that i have to agree. my daily 2-3 hour playtime on a weekday are completely swallowed by Peach island daily on Wushu right now, not even time for instances.

Sigh. If only the new chinagame was not class locked i would have jumped over without looking back. Grah, gently caress it. 10$ is not the end of the world and with luck the now blade set will be nothing but a retooled yangyang blade. I think ill try 5 venoms for main this time.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Anyone is able to buy the starter pack now ? The ARC page for it give a 404 but since i never bough anything from PW before i may be doing something wrong.

If anyone could point me in the correct direction i would be glad.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Delerion posted:

Yesterday was the last day to buy them i think.

Genttly caress artificial rarity as a way to boost sales. I will see you on real OB opening then.

Edit - From the facebook we should have untill 11:59 PDT tonight. Also i'm apparently not the only one unable to get in to buy the packs.

Double edit. Gently caress facebook timestamp. i missed the buy date. See you on thursday.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 30, 2014

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Drinkfist posted:

Movies I have watched in that past 48 Hours.

13 Assassins
Mulan
Fearless
Ip Man

Nearly ready...

13 assassins need more love. Its another iteration of the eternal story of honor and death but by the Buddha it is beautifully told. Also 14 blades for some RG goodness even if they are not in this game.

I could never get behind Ip Man. No matter how much China movie making try to turn him into a heroic national patriot(one of the few non political figure past the cultural revolution getting this treatment) it feel more like the guy was just an opium addict who sadly squandered his talent halfway up his life.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

No love for the Condor heroes ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oklk1Eb8kvw&list=PL8811938111551AC6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4l54rlQxFM&list=PLCCFC7D390E389C90

there are so many version of this tale you feel its like the Chinese version of american 7:00 pm sitcoms.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Third World Reggin posted:

So an item you can buy from the cash shop is 10 cents for 100 minutes of the in game bot.

If you paid 15 bucks a month you would pretty much get 31 nights of botting.

Are people seriously considering spending money for the privilege of having the game play with itself ?

That is some serious "Progress Quest" level of meta and if it caught on people in the revenue team are going to splooch their collective underwear.

I mean its the ultimate goal after selling unfinished ideas : Making people pay for not playing !

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 3, 2014

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Blacktooth posted:

Downloading this now. Is it too early still to say whether Swordsman's Guild v Guild will have similar tactics as Wushu? And is there a school similar to WV?

Closest to WV is Sun and Moon cult. Lifesteal is their way of healing, twin weapon, definitely "evil" vibe. You also get a chain hook and a nifty looking school costume if your a man, Dominatrix outfit for us girls. School colors are red, black and gold instead pimp purple.

in theme with our opening post food choice :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSIMDrdutvU

My food and health code violation counter broke during the first 2 minutes.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
This whole "pick a class and stick with it" design is hurting my enjoyment of the game. I cant pick on a school for my main to join the Clan. They all look nice on paper but that cant be true and all the first set are so basic and similar they give you no real fell of how the school really play in game.

Is there any school that the guild need to be stronger ? Might as well go for the greater good if i cant decide by myself. Meanwhile i'm trying to level everything to 20 on 4 accounts to get a better idea.

I loving hate it when a design ask you to make the most important choice for your character right out the start and without any information.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
I picked sun and moon(now at 33, starting to fell the wall) but i'm still undecided if it will be my main. If anyone can tell me a class the guild need more off i can play it. Currently leveling a harmony to 30 to see how it goes.

Maybe people choice was affected with memory of how good Wu-Dang was in early AOW day. That and they have the biggest sword, so you know, phallic symbol and all that.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

KildarX posted:

As a former WV player, I'm still shell shocked by my time [picked Sun and Moon :haw:]

Sun and Moon are Awesome. Who would not want to be lead to victory in the jianghu by a transgender madman obsessed with embroidery and needles who got the job of leader by turning the previous occupant mad with acupuncture on his brain.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

KildarX posted:

I'm more awed by the fact his name is The Undefeatable East.

Eventually you get to spin a boisterous tale of how you defeated him to entertain a bunch of drunk peach tree saints. I also think the east lady is him when he fancy to go in drag and wander the jianghu.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

Being a Sun Moon is a lot of fun, yeah. I also enjoy how their second set (haven't gotten their third one yet) is basically HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU SPIN TO VICTORY? From literally spinning like a top, to spinning like a buzzsaw in midair, to a literal goddamn Izuna Drop.

I just wish their acupuncture skill wasn't so hard to land. It just seems to have a really finicky range to it.

Yes, compared to Harmony one the range is very short. Hopefully "Jianghu Lost arts" may be able to patch this weakness.

More on dear leader Dongfang :

http://www.wuxiaedge.com/joe-chen-endorses-swordsman-online-as-dongfang-bubai/

much better than Jet-Li as a fisherman in my opinion.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Kegslayer posted:

Made a Shaolin as Minsoo. The amount of ex wushu players in this game is ridiculous given I just saw EzraScarlet in game.

i'm starting to think this is our "WoW" while Age of Wushu was our "Everquest". WoW won over Eq player by being less bullshit (less player idling to recuperate, less punishment on death, no corpse run, etc.), more streamlined, better managed and less serious. Swordsman online exhibit many of the same characteristics in relation to AOW so far.

Sadly it was also more casual friendly.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 5, 2014

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

Tip to new players - USE POTIONS AND FOOD! They're cheap and keep you topped off for very little investment.

When people write the Harmony school is "fragile" they are not joking. My Sun and Moon started using potion in spots at the early 30. My Harmony is chugging them like an addict since level 15. She sure dish out plenty of damage but she cant take any and i even managed to get pecked to death by chickens when using the vortex skill at the wrong time, pulling to much aggro to handle.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Jackard posted:

Yeaaaaa I'm working two jobs so that sounds like too much.

You hit 40 in like 8-10 hours of gameplay. Think of it as a long tutorial or the whole single player campaign of most AAA shooters.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

I made a 5 venom because it seemed cool, but am rethinking my choice that maybe I should have been Emei instead. Anyone have experience with 5 venom at higher levels?

Currently leveling one to 20 to get a feel of the set. First set seem to be the basic most endo school get - ranged attack, two buff, and 3 other mixed damage skills. However you probably get the biggest/ most awesome hats in game and one of our school teacher ride a Hydralisk, so that may count for something. Third set seem to be AOE galore, with poison, fire and ice, all stack.

edit - I inverted 2nd and 3rd set. sorry.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 6, 2014

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Unhappy Meal posted:

Anywhere, anytime, except for the hour when that guild is under protection. There are multiple types, but we've only done Show of Force(?) so far.

What happened for Show of Force was basically you go declare to the NPC at their base, then there are 15 minutes of prep time before the actual fight starts. Once the fight is on the objectives are simple: Kill two named NPCs, and their flag.

The first time we did it these were the Feast Master, and Financial Manager. Killing one means something bad happens to them. So killing the Feast Master means said guild can't have Feasts for an hour, and killing the Financial Manager gives them a -15%(?) experience debuff. Finally their flag which is a giant sack of HP. If you manage to kill the flag you get to deface their base with some graffiti.

And that's about it so far unless we managed to do one of the other types when I wasn't around.

We should get someone creative or with a way with words to plan some defacing slogan/poetry in advance. Just writing "mom jokes", simple insults or various racist epitaph seem like a lost opportunity. The best victory would be to have the enemy keep our writing on its wall like a Bansky.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beautiful.

If only the tools and saucepan did not look like they are used to cook meth on slow day,

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
And here i am, still unable to pick on a friggin main school to join. Now working on Emei and Zephyr.

So far research (1-20) show that splendor and sun and moon play very similar. S&M (hue hue hue) showing a little more utility and survival while splendor having more damage.

There is something pleasantly simple and elegant in Splendor skill set. You activate the skill, put the pointy end in the opponent and it die in a few moves, repeat as necessary. Quite different from Harmony having to manage charging time and keyboard mashing or 5venoms dozen of multihit for small damage skills.

I see very few Infinity players around. From the write up they seem rather hard to play, especially in PVP but does anyone care to supply more info about them ? I have yet to create a 4th account to try them out and maybe i could save myself the trouble if most agree they are sub-par.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

quote:

On that note I will be attempting to get a guild war Show of Force event in every day so people can get the hang of how to perform in group combat guild vs guild pvp. From what it looks like the big group pvp school is shaolin along with some great effects from ranged schools like Zypher, Tong, Wu Tang and Emei for Damage Aoe and Aoe CC effects with drop heals that are quite useful from Five Venoms and aoe heals from Zypher and Emei.

This sound like a tank (Shaolin, Wu-Tang) war. Hold the line advancing slowly while force multiplier (emei) and Artillery (Zephyr, Tong, 5V) do the real killing as regular infantry (Splendor, S&M, Harmony, infinity)is unable to really contribute.

Would it be fair to assume that the original design paradigm was to have the "dps" school (S&M, Splendor, Harmony) being able to neutralize the long range casters but something went wrong due to too much CC ?

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 7, 2014

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
As feeling of "Now for something completely different" goes, E'mei really make a jump in fun and power from level 20 onward. You go from a meek, solar/heat themed selection of 2 ranged attack, one AOE, a debuff and 2 heal to "I will rip your eyes with my dark energy infused nails" fighting style involving teleports, tons of bleed damage and 4 (yes four) options of different basic attacks causing either bleed, block break or pushback.

Combined with the instant heal and the skill causing acupuncture status to every target along a line and other choice of debuff including your pick among slow, stop and more bleed i can see why this school get featured so much on the leader-board and ranking charts.

Those are definitely not the nice "We heal the sick and help the poor" nuns of AoW.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

hailthefish posted:

I like action style, but the tooltips make PVP annoying and if you use the built in botting it will switch you over to traditional automatically and you have to manually switch back.

Personally i cant stand it. My muscle memory want to interpret what it see as a 3DFPS and play it like Dynasty warrior but the game clearly don't allow this, rooting you in place each time you use a skill, resulting in a clunky experience. I find it also very difficult to evaluate skill range with this control scheme, resulting in either wasted group nuke opportunity or too much aggro.

The constant "i need my cursor for this" just make it worse but that may be just me.

Also i cant play Tong for poo poo, taking forever to kill the first boss since the ranged skills land where the target was when you trigger, not tracking to fire where the target is when the animation start.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

DarciisFyer posted:

Whoever said that this was the WoW to Wushu's Everquest hit the nail on the head.

Indeed, But the people who made Everquest where pioneer in a new world just beyond BBS games, MUD and MUSH horizon, making their own tools as they got along.

All Snail had to do was provide a legible localisation, a little market research and better customer service than Comcast. Most of us know how the tale end.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Drinkfist posted:

Gem And Silver Merchant Fashion Item.

Official Alcoholic action figurine with kung-fu Grip ?

Do E'mei ever get to use that staff mine has been carrying around for 32 levels now ?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

FebrezeNinja posted:

Only the last hit of that move puncs, so it's useless against people who can move. Try it immediately after a powerbomb.

Yes, it has the same problem scholar kick feint had in Aow. Long animation but the effect happen on the last few frames, not when you press it.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
in the process of deciding on a main, 1-25 has been completed on all ten sects,so here is some of my observations :

All basic sets pretty sucks, but some more than other. Here is my (purely subjective)ranking, from suckiest to most fun.

1 - Infinity
2 - E'mei
3 - Shaolin
4 - Tong
5 - 5Venoms
6 - Wudang
7 - Zephyr
8 - Harmony
9 - Splendor
10 - Sun and Moon

School costumes (Girls) :

Most sensible - Splendor
Most sexy - S&M
Most knickers showing - Zephyr
Best hats - 5Venoms

Only Creature that killed me (3 times over 10 characters) - Mountain chicken (idling pheasants)

I decided to eliminate infinity from the running because "Dont hit me when i glow" is a nice concept for a final boss but not really feasible for a PVP heavy game. Wudang also get out of the list because we apparently have enough of those so far. I have difficulties playing Tong since they feel like having been designed for action mode and it give me trouble when i try using it. Zephyr may get the boot too since the skill refresh is supposed to be called "cooldown" not "tea party with the countess"

The choice is then narrowed to Splendor, E'mei, Harmony, S&M, 5Venoms and Shaolin, Tong and Zephyr getting a second chance if i cant find satisfaction among those 6 at level 40

I'm open to suggestion if the guild has any deficiency in class membership.

Onward to 40 !

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Lorem ipsum posted:

Why did E'mei suck so much? They look like a lot of fun based purely on skillset.

E'mei first set sucked. All you get is a spirit debuff (few enemy use endo attacks in the beginning,but that may change later)two heal, your basic ranged attack, an small cone Aoe and a more powerful ranged. There is almost no variety in attack type and all they do is damage.

E'mei past 20 are a completely different ball game and are probably the school with the most improvement once you reach that point.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

funakupo posted:

Looking at your post history you have asked that a few times for the guild to suggest what you should play. Play what class YOU want. If the guild is full of 300 wudongs that each player adores and plays alot, great. Better than forcing people to play something they are not excited regarding.

Also seriously, you rated girl costumes? Wtf is wrong with you.

As far as i know, nothing is wrong with me. I would have gladly commented on male clothing but with the exception of the Shaolin they are pretty much all the same layered shenyi or ruqun, only in school colors and with more or less ornamentation. Tong probably look the best and S&M the more weird with all the spiky bits and glistening leather.

I'm stuck on "What class to play ?" because this is the last bit that is stopping me from leaving AoW behind and the single thing i hate the most in this game. I will be stuck with that choice until i quit or start over, and if 1-40 may be quick, 40+ clearly is not and we don't know yet how high the grinding cliff can go. Lineage 2 was another 99 level mmo and past level 85 the numbers where completely silly, like 600K for 85, then suddenly 5M xp for 86, 8M for 87 and 14M for 88.

To ask for the opinion and wisdom of people who are probably better player than me and with whom i will potentially spend hundred of hours playing seemed like a good idea.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Primaris posted:

Applied as Edia hope to see you goons soon. Am lost at 25 with no main questline.

Click on "available quest" on your quest logs. The main story line should take you to closer to 30 and at 37 there are still quests available to me. Check if you did not miss any of the mobility skill quests like "walk on water" and "eagle fall" from the East Lady, since those are not part of the main quest chain.

The bounty board in Harmony Piedmont also give you 15 easy quests a day, rewarding you with hero orders you can exchange for better weapons.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Liberatore posted:

Arhat Fist is awesome in PvE, though. Low cooldown, powerful attacks, most of which come with a movement component (Shaolin has 8 charges!). It's insane how good my Shaolin is at botting with Arhat Fist; I do more damage than my Harmony or Splendor ever did (due to the aforementioned cooldowns) but have twice the defensive stats and a heal that restores a fourth of my health. You still want to use Typhoon and probably Tiger Stomp, but you will be mostly punching or kicking your way through mobs.

Every time i think i have found the school i will finally play someone post something good about another one. I managed to get a S&M to 42 and those firewheel are fantastic but now i hear Arhat fist is PVE goodness incarnate.

Thank you third world reggin for the mastery Info.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

DarciisFyer posted:

Found a nice chart of stat increases per point in the second image at http://bbs.duowan.com/thread-36237655-1-1.html

One of the best piece of information i have seen so far. I respectfully submit that it is added to the opening post along with the instruction on how to use it.

Thank you for posting it.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

ShadowMoo posted:

Considering how much fun-having* I missed passing on wushu, i'm in on this bish.
*sad consternation at the game poor management and lost opportunities

Fixed this for you.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Hy_C posted:

There was nothing to fix, the game was great when it first came out.

If by "first came out" you refer to early, 1st-2nd internal Blue Dragon days then yes, i agree with you. Sadly the game never improved with time and for every thing gained another was lost.

Between the bots, Snail abyssal customer relation, option for hackers to "buy back" on their past felonies, every new server opening killing one of the already established ones and the Pay to win sets the game was just a series of disappointment.

Sadly in my case that's probably just the sunken cost resentment speaking. Swordsman Online fun parts are much closer to the surface and so far seem to be managed in a professional way. The new fashion looks a little silly and The spambots overflowing the mailbox is a problem but nothing horrible like the Steal Script bots of wushu past.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 22, 2014

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Aleth posted:

Coming this weekend: parrots and fox mounts (for charging sycee).

1/25 of the price Snail charged for its first pet and 1/2 of the asked price for the first non-random reward mount (the donkey). I wonder how many people will buy it only because those prices seem reasonable compared to what Snail charged.

That fox looks really cunning. Almost as if it had recently been appointed professor of cunning at Oxford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

quote:

Goon Testimonials:

"School costumes (Girls) :

Most sensible - Splendor
Most sexy - S&M
Most knickers showing - Zephyr
Best hats - 5Venoms"
- Aleksander noted upskirt expert

As community awarded titles goes on the SA forums i guess i could have got much, much worse.

• Locked thread