Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Celestial Tofu droprates are pretty low, and that combined with Osamoda being the most popular class means gearing past 50 can get very expensive. On the bright side if you do manage to get Celestial Tofu it'll last you until the early 100s, so you won't need to worry nearly as much about gear as other classes will during that time period.

Give me your celestial tofu gear already, mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
This game is pretty great, and amazingly addicting - if any of you are on the edge of giving it a try, do so - chances are you won't regret it. There's a lot more goons playing than this thread would suggest, and it's amazingly fun in groups - it's OK to pretty good solo but amazing in a party, and we pretty much always have a party going, so make sure to join the guild.

There's also surprisingly little pressure to buy, or pay, anything. The only real things I feel any desire to buy, but no actual need, is buying a second sidekick (extra controllable characters, you get one free) which makes soloing easier, or a 5$/mo subscription that gives like +30% xp on your main and 2x xp on alts (anything lower than the highest character) and lets you participate in nation politics. The XP bonus sounds nice, but you actually level at a pretty fast pace even without it, especially if you learn to complete challenges which can double or even triple the xp gained in a fight.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Wolpertinger posted:

a second sidekick (extra controllable characters, you get one free)

Worth noting is that every week, one sidekick will be freely useable for the week. The important part is that even once they cycle back out of the free trial, they still retain all of their experience and equipment, ready for next time.

One of the things planned for the upcoming big patch, alongside the lock/dodge and resist redesigns, is a HUD makeover. They've uploaded an early mockup.

Ijuuin Enzan fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 3, 2014

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I've seen a couple goons asking for external resources on things in the game. I can recommend:

http://wakfu-elements.com/ -- The obligatory WoWhead-style data mining dump that every MMO gets. Note though that Wakfu has been around for several years and has undergone countless massive drop table tweaks, so a lot of stuff in here isn't obtainable anymore. It is currently up-to-date with the latest patch on all servers.

http://www.wakfu.com/en/mmorpg/game-guide -- This is a developer-maintained listing of monsters and items and reveals drop tables, drop rates, and prospecting thresholds. More generally, it can tell you where something is in the game, which is particularly handy when trying to find out where some crop or herb naturally grows.

http://wakfu.wikia.com/wiki/Wakfu_Wiki -- A player-maintained wiki. Has grown inactive and outdated as Wakfu's english-speaking playerbase has slowly faded into nonexistence over the past few years of Ankama's terrible subscription model, but it still has good information on how mechanics in the game work.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Got a mumble server setup. Please add it to the OP. goonsquid.murmur.nfoservers.com:25160 (216.52.148.10:25160)

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 3, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Wolpertinger posted:

This game is pretty great, and amazingly addicting - if any of you are on the edge of giving it a try, do so - chances are you won't regret it. There's a lot more goons playing than this thread would suggest, and it's amazingly fun in groups - it's OK to pretty good solo but amazing in a party, and we pretty much always have a party going, so make sure to join the guild.

Seriously, I sit in game most of the day while I'm doing other work, and we tend to get 11-12 unique people throughout the day, with normally 5-6 on at one time being the norm. I've been running these guys through the tofu and gobball dungeons constantly to get them geared up, too.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I wish I could sit in game with all you guys tonight but I will be busy killing my liver.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I saw that Earth Ecaflips were the weakest of the specs, but how do I make them the least terrible they can be?

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Partial Octopus posted:

Got a mumble server setup. Please add it to the OP. goonsquid.murmur.nfoservers.com:25160 (216.52.148.10:25160)

I added this to the second post. Thanks!

Vadun posted:

I saw that Earth Ecaflips were the weakest of the specs, but how do I make them the least terrible they can be?

As a rule of thumb for planning and gearing all classes -- generally you want to start with a single elemental tree and pick out which of the spells you use the most or like the best and really work on dumping spell experience into those. Unless you're leveling all 5 spells you'll likely have a fair amount of leftover spell XP (remember, a spell can't outlevel your character), and you can choose to either work on a second spell element or level utility/knockback/movement spells as you see fit.

The benefit of single element is that it's much easier to find gear with at least that element. However, as single element you lack flexibility in what kind of damage you can deal which can make some challenges a pain (for example, one that forbids earth damage) and some monsters very difficult to kill (most high-level monsters have massive resistance in one or two elements, or may have a passive that causes them to react to a certain type of elemental damage). Both of these can be overcome if playing with a party with a good elemental spread.

Gear is much more important than being precise with spell experience, as long as you have at least one or two spells at max in your preferred element(s). If you want to play as an Earth Ecaflip, gear and your choice of your support skills will determine whether you fit more naturally into a tank or damage roll. If you like tanking, pick up gear with lock, HP, and elemental resistance. If you prefer to deal more damage, go for critical hit/critical damage/back attack damage (if and only if you have a way of guaranteeing access to a target's back) and prioritize AP on gear. Regardless of which you choose you're going to want as much bonus earth damage (and bonus generic damage) on your gear as you can get.

edit: To be crystal clear I don't know the spells and support abilities of earth ecaflip off the top of my head, or if tanking with them is even possible. This is just general-purpose advice for planning how to develop any character.

Super Space Jam 64 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 3, 2014

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Cool, thanks.

I imagine most people pump their primary stat (Strength for me) and Initiative before 30, then getting the free respect and taking the Action Point after?

For right now I'm just doing that and getting Tarot up because the random factor is the whole draw of the class. I'm playing with a small group and end up healing the monsters more than anything else, so its amusing if impractical.

Still trying to figure out which of my spells I actually want to put experience into though

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'll start playing again once I get back from the 4th of July weekend.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

So is there no one else playing an Iop?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
I've been playing a(n) Iop for a few weeks, did you have any questions about the class?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Just lonely here in an Osma world.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Drythe posted:

Us Sadomasos are just that cool.

Also, Kokoro, I snagged a Celestial Tofu Eppaulettes for 4,500 Kamas today. They normally go for 48,000+. I am loving ecstatic. All I need is the ring an amulet and I have my set :v:

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Drythe posted:

Don't worry, you are destined to put all Osamodas to shame past 100 or so. Iops are still pretty ridiculous, despite being toned down from what they used to be.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Drythe posted:

So is there no one else playing an Iop?

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Is there a better resource than the forums for builds, or is that pretty much it? No specific questions, just wondering in general.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kaidyn posted:

Is there a better resource than the forums for builds, or is that pretty much it? No specific questions, just wondering in general.

Pretty much it. It never got big enough to justify other sites for guides and stuff.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Wakfu World went down just recently, but you can still scour their builds section.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You can only be a Disembodied to start with?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You can only be a Disembodied to start with?

It's the tutorial class

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What is the 411 on Foggernaut?

They look cool, but I question how they perform longterm.

---

Also, exactly how strict is Ankama with their name rules? I ask because my girlfriend wants to take the name Sarasvati, which she is holding, but it's a Hindu religious reference.

Also, Enutrof or Osamodas?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 4, 2014

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
I don't know how much experience we have with the current Steamer paradigm, but I've seen some mid-high levels having explosive fun with the fire tree.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What do you mean by Steamer paradigm?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Foggers used to be badder than bad (as in horrid). They are no longer horrid, but aren't top tier. THey get some fun tricks, and can do really good, but need a teammate that can help them out for some of them.

Enutrofs will get you lots of loot, Osamados will let you get pretty strong pretty fast (but the items they need are very expensive, due to everyone and their dog playing Osamados)

As to how strict naming rules are, I haven't the foggiest.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Do Enutrofs suffer with the actual killing things part as a result of getting all that loot?

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Also, exactly how strict is Ankama with their name rules?

They're not.

quote:

Do Enutrofs suffer with the actual killing things part as a result of getting all that loot?

Not at all.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Not really. Water enus kick out a fair amount of damage in addition to the bonus loot, while zerking earth enus with hit like a truck in general.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

Tallgeese posted:

Also, exactly how strict is Ankama with their name rules? I ask because my girlfriend wants to take the name Sarasvati, which she is holding, but it's a Hindu religious reference.

Name should be fine. I could not use the name "Lifthrasir" because of "too many consecutive consonants" or something really stupid though, so just watch out for that. Weirdly ethnocentric to put a limit to the amount of consecutive consonants in a name I have to say though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Just to check, each of the four stats boosts your damage with the element in question, right? In other words, Intelligence boosts both fire damage and fire resist.

It's worded slightly oddly.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Just to check, each of the four stats boosts your damage with the element in question, right? In other words, Intelligence boosts both fire damage and fire resist.

It's worded slightly oddly.

Each point of the stat increases your damage and resistance by .5 you are welcome in advance

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Thanks!

Finally, does it matter if you do the tutorial?

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
It doesn't matter in any real sense, but it starts you out in the real thing with all the experience and equipment you picked up on the way.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I just spent a while touring Braknar and Sukofia and man, Amakna is literally the worst. It has no redeeming features other than a kinda shorter walk to some dungeons, but that doesn't really matter when you get instant teleports everywhere. In the mean time, the monster/rare plant density is through the roof in those nations, and they're all more interesting visually. I still think we all move to Brakmar or something, you can go back to Amakna if you really need to for something without penalty, heh.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Huh, if this has gone f2p I might give this another go; no idea how long I'd stick with it, but hey, f2p. Haven't played since the beta, so I imagine I'll have a lot to catch up on.

Do Ecaflips still suffer from Spontaneous Existence Failure every few fights if they take Tarot?

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

The advantage of having everyone on the same nation is it'll make it much easier to vote in a goon governor, should we decide to get involved in nation politics. Unfortunately voting is the only thing left that's limited to subscribed players, so we'd probably need quite a few more people to partake.

I'm a fan of Brakmar myself, I love their battle themes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Last I played this was before they added subs, and on Amakna side, so I wouldnt mind a change in scene.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Unoriginal One posted:

Huh, if this has gone f2p I might give this another go; no idea how long I'd stick with it, but hey, f2p. Haven't played since the beta, so I imagine I'll have a lot to catch up on.

Do Ecaflips still suffer from Spontaneous Existence Failure every few fights if they take Tarot?

I've been playing one and haven't actually died yet. But I dont think I've gotten that draw combo yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

You can still draw Ouginak + God Ecaflip, yes. This means you can still get the 'you are now at 1hp' card draws.

However, the chance of getting either has been vastly lowered.

• Locked thread