Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Oh my Cannondale have a train! With an awesome paintjob too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

GO FABS!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
No way

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Broken clav for Cav :(

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Cav :(

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

that pain

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Oh man Cav.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Oh poo poo, that could not have gone worse.

:britain:

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

That's a deathly silence upon the home crowd.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Are there any English people left in the race. rip

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

What are ITV on about? He's not riding another stage.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

That's about as broken a collarbone as you're likely to see. drat.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

It was a great finish until the crash. Too bad for Spartacus too, that almost worked.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

fartmanteau posted:

That's a deathly silence upon the home crowd.

Should have heard the gasp from the crowd in Leeds (was quiet after that though)

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Also where the hell did Froome come from? I didn't even see any Sky jerseys up front.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Wearing a fully buttoned shirt sans tie has long been a scientific flag for a disturbed mind.

Oh, hai Dave!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
David is so tall compared to Ned and Chris

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Cavendish is reportedly OK, no broken bones; if so that's a miracle given how he went down.

Bring on tomorrow where the fun starts at Addingham and doesn't end until literally the finish line, its a real roller coaster.

Edit: the site has since retracted the story, so still no news on Cavendish.

ukle fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 5, 2014

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Tour de France 2014 - Stage 1 Finish

Mark Cavendish suffers a saparated shoulder after his crash today
Mark Cavendish: Tour de France stage two start doubtful after crash

http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en/social for latest info on cav.

Stage 2 York / Sheffield 201km

Stage 2 Analysis by Chris Froome

Les Côtes of Mountain passes & hills

Km 47.0 - Côte de Blubberhouses 1.8 km at 6.1% - category 4
Km 85.0 - Côte d'Oxenhope Moor 3.1 kmb at 6.4% - category 3
Km 112.5 - VC - Côte de Ripponden 1.3 km at 8.6% - category 3
Km 119.5 - Côte de Greetland 1.6 km at 6.7% - category 3
Km 143.5 - Côte de Holme Moss 4.7 km at 7% - category 2
Km 167.0 - Côte de Midhopestones 2.5 km at 6.1% - category 3
Km 175.0 - Côte de Bradfield 1 km at 7.4% - category 4
Km 182.0 - Côte d'Oughtibridge 1.5 km at 9.1% - category 3
Km 196.0 - VC - Côte de Jenkin Road 0.8 km at 10.8% - category 4

Jenkin Road

The Finish

Stage 2 Winner odds

Weather

A bright day with sunny spells. Scattered showers will develop, these heavy later with possible thunder.

Time schedule

Start : 11h00 am
Finish : 16h14 (41km/h) 16h29 (29km/h) 16h46 (37km/h) BST

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mollema is my pick for tomorrow. poo poo what happened to Cav though.

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010
So I rode most of stage 2 today, from Cragg Vale to Sheffield. It's pretty tough, although it's hard to say how difficult the peloton will find it - much will depend on how aggressively it's raced, I think.

It will definitely be selective, and it's important to note that there are a LOT of uncategorised climbs that aren't trivial, when put alongside everything else. There was a horrible crosswind at the top of Cragg Vale, which could also make things interesting.

It was awesome to see so many people already out on the climbs, and the incredible amount of decoration and general local interest. Holme Moss will be rammed tomorrow!

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Kind of expecting the peleton to get split early, as the climbs and descents on some of the roads are tight, combine that with even bigger crowds than today and its going to be fun. Also with Heavy Rain likely when they approach Sheffield there could be some very nasty crashes.

Forgot to say but the most surprising thing about today was the Police. The British Police were amazing, all were riding along wanting to do high fives with everyone, heard the Police in Skipton got the crowd doing Mexican Waves and various songs in the gap between the parade and the riders. It really showed the police in a very different and good light; Although it did seem every police car and motorbike in the North of England was there, so would have been the perfect day to do illegal stuff.

Edit: Also the Gendarmes who were also there did none of this and just sat motionless on their bikes, dull farts.

ukle fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 5, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
2 million people were apparently along the route today. Thats mental.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ruptured ligaments and an AC dislocation, apparently. Also claims the blame for the whole thing: http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en/news/show/mark-cavendish-update/1826

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

ukle posted:

Although it did seem every police car and motorbike in the North of England was there, so would have been the perfect day to do illegal stuff.

On the morning of Diana's funeral me and a mate took advantage of the total absence of any living creature to go racing up and down the local A-roads. Happy times.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm glad they did finish widening Ainley Top roundabout just after Côte de Greetland. Wouldn't look good for Yorkshire if that wasn't finished! I'm on the fence about going down to Ainley Top to watch the peleton pass, seeing as I was in Leeds City Centre earlier today. Might just watch it on ITV.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

100% of opening stages attended by David Cameron have resulted in a Mark Cavendish crash. Why is Cav taking the blame here?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I was 35m from the finish and the crowd cheered every time Cav was mentioned by the announcers, and a massive 'OOOH' when the crash happened. Didn't get anywhere near the barriers to see anything (about 15m behind them) so I'm camped up in my car on a side road in Knaresborough at the A59 T-junction and tomorrow will station myself where the polka-dot pub is at a sharp left after a short, steep descent out of town...you'll recognize it when it comes on the coverage!

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Fabs strategy: Take a flyer and Cav will crash everyone out.

Almost worked.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

krushgroove posted:

I was 35m from the finish and the crowd cheered every time Cav was mentioned by the announcers, and a massive 'OOOH' when the crash happened. Didn't get anywhere near the barriers to see anything (about 15m behind them) so I'm camped up in my car on a side road in Knaresborough at the A59 T-junction and tomorrow will station myself where the polka-dot pub is at a sharp left after a short, steep descent out of town...you'll recognize it when it comes on the coverage!

:ohdear:

Keep off the moors!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Does it sound as funny to Brits to hear "and from there, [the Tour route] takes in some of the most spectacular parts of Yorkshire" ?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

No Quintana? I mean drat he won the Giro and is probably eyeing the Vuelta but you would think they'd send him to the Tour after coming in 2nd last year.

alexmac
Jun 4, 2008
I can't figure out from the coverage how the crash happened. Looks like cav tried to headbutt his way to freedom and bars followed by wheels got tangled?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

The Giro-Tour combo worked 'badly' for Contador not too long ago. Riding a GT to win depletes a lot of energy. To go from recovery to training to peak form again between the Giro and TDF isn't really possible. Especially so when the fresh legged competition is of such a high calibre in July.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
First TDF follower this year. Someone mind explaining the yellow/green jersey thing? Just watched the first hour on replay and enjoying it so far. Man, is the English countryside beautiful. I need to jump the pond and take a week riding through it.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

goatface posted:

Ruptured ligaments and an AC dislocation, apparently. Also claims the blame for the whole thing: http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en/news/show/mark-cavendish-update/1826

That sucks. :( As someone who just recovered from a AC seperation from a bike crash (albeit getting hit by a car), that's at least a 6 (more likely 10) week recovery.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

TraderStav posted:

First TDF follower this year. Someone mind explaining the yellow/green jersey thing? Just watched the first hour on replay and enjoying it so far. Man, is the English countryside beautiful. I need to jump the pond and take a week riding through it.

The Tour has lots of sub-competitions, and the leader in each wears a distinctive jersey. The overall leader (ie, quickest time through all the stages so far) wears yellow. That will be Kittel tomorrow, since he came first today. The best sprinter gets a green jersey - there are set places to sprint throughout the course, and there's points for first, second and so on in those sprints. Similarly with King of the Mountains competition, there are points available at the tops of climbs for the first few riders, and the rider with the most points gets a polka-dot jersey.

There's also best young rider, who gets a white jersey, and the team leading the team competition wear yellow numbers.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Albinator posted:

The Tour has lots of sub-competitions, and the leader in each wears a distinctive jersey. The overall leader (ie, quickest time through all the stages so far) wears yellow. That will be Kittel tomorrow, since he came first today. The best sprinter gets a green jersey - there are set places to sprint throughout the course, and there's points for first, second and so on in those sprints. Similarly with King of the Mountains competition, there are points available at the tops of climbs for the first few riders, and the rider with the most points gets a polka-dot jersey.

There's also best young rider, who gets a white jersey, and the team leading the team competition wear yellow numbers.

Most aggressive rider from the day before (one of the guys up front in the breakaway, almost invariably) gets red numbers.

Another interesting thing happens when someone owns more than one of the four leader's jerseys. All four must be worn by someone, so if rider A owns two, then the second place rider in the 'lesser' competition actually wears a jersey owned by someone else. I believe that in order of importance they go yellow (overall leader), white (young leader), green (sprint leader), polka dot (mountains leader). The order of the last two doesn't matter so much because almost no one could lead both the mountains and the sprints.

So, stage one was won by Marcel Kittel. He is thus the race leader, and so he gets to wear yellow. Peter Sagan leads the young riders classification (he was second on stage 1 and Kittel is too old), so he wears white. Kittel also leads the sprint competition, but he can't wear the green, because he has to wear yellow. Normally the second placed sprinter would wear green, but that's Sagan and he can't also. In this very special case, the third placed sprinter will wear green tomorrow, Bryan Coquard. Jens Voigt wears polka dots because he is the mountains leader at the moment and gets red numbers too because he was voted the day's most aggressive rider. Team Sky will have yellow numbers because they're the best placed team.

Most/all of these jerseys and awards will change tomorrow, but wearing a leaders jersey for even a day in a grand tour is an honor for riders and a really big deal in terms of their professional careers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Most aggressive rider from the day before (one of the guys up front in the breakaway, almost invariably) gets red numbers.

Another interesting thing happens when someone owns more than one of the four leader's jerseys. All four must be worn by someone, so if rider A owns two, then the second place rider in the 'lesser' competition actually wears a jersey owned by someone else. I believe that in order of importance they go yellow (overall leader), white (young leader), green (sprint leader), polka dot (mountains leader). The order of the last two doesn't matter so much because almost no one could lead both the mountains and the sprints.

So, stage one was won by Marcel Kittel. He is thus the race leader, and so he gets to wear yellow. Peter Sagan leads the young riders classification (he was second on stage 1 and Kittel is too old), so he wears white. Kittel also leads the sprint competition, but he can't wear the green, because he has to wear yellow. Normally the second placed sprinter would wear green, but that's Sagan and he can't also. In this very special case, the third placed sprinter will wear green tomorrow, Bryan Coquard. Jens Voigt wears polka dots because he is the mountains leader at the moment and gets red numbers too because he was voted the day's most aggressive rider. Team Sky will have yellow numbers because they're the best placed team.

Most/all of these jerseys and awards will change tomorrow, but wearing a leaders jersey for even a day in a grand tour is an honor for riders and a really big deal in terms of their professional careers.

Theres a reason Cav was going hell for leather yesterday. He has never had the yellow jersey on the Tour before and this was probably his best chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
God Rodriguez looked rough today :smith: I wasnt really expecting much from him but his year is rooted. He has no chance here but itll take enough out of him hell be knackered for the Vuelta.

goatface posted:

Accepting responsibility, generally not chucking tanties, seeming generally likable... WTF has happed with Cav? Has he really just chilled/mellowed in his old age, or is more that I cant stand Sagan so anyone who can stop him winning seems OK? 2 or 3 years ago I couldnt stand him.

Oddly enough its a similar thing with Lewis Hamilton in the F1. Am I becoming an Anglophile?