Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Jose posted:

Contador being a competitor is a massive joke
Is this a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Nibali's attack was pure beauty. Looked so freaking fast from the helicopter shot.

'What a kickoff!' indeed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can't really see tomorrow being anything other than a procession.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

borapt posted:

Nibali's attack was pure beauty. Looked so freaking fast from the helicopter shot.

'What a kickoff!' indeed.

He's got a really good kick, if he hadn't crashed at the World Champs he could well be wearing the rainbow jersey now.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I am a bit loath to say it because I'm not really one of his fans, but it really was an admirable finish from Nibali. The bunch with Sagan couldn't get their poo poo straight. Great stage overall, the profile was just the kind I like to see.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
If you took any conclusion from that epic battle between Froome and Contador, you need to watch more bike racing.

I hope Nibali can be the awkward third wheel in this race.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
British women you get an L for this http://vine.co/v/MPzvggEvOWZ

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Froome put in an attack like 100 meters from the top of a climb 5km before the finish, to which everyone was like 'whatever' and caught him 50 meters after the top. It was hardly a devastating show of force which mentally crippled his rivals. That will happen in the Alps when he drops everyone with a sustained 15 minute seated max effort where he gains 6 minutes.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

Froome put in an attack like 100 meters from the top of a climb 5km before the finish, to which everyone was like 'whatever' and caught him 50 meters after the top. It was hardly a devastating show of force which mentally crippled his rivals. That will happen in the Alps when he drops everyone with a sustained 15 minute seated max effort where he gains 6 minutes.

With the time trial where it is this year, he doesnt have to. All he needs to do is sit on the wheel of Contador for the entire tour. Unless something goes wrong its Contador that has to put 4+ minutes on him in the mountains, which judging from today, will be alone as his team disintegrated.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

ITV love adverts, especially if they make you miss something important.

Like goals.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

With the time trial where it is this year, he doesnt have to. All he needs to do is sit on the wheel of Contador for the entire tour. Unless something goes wrong its Contador that has to put 4+ minutes on him in the mountains, which judging from today, will be alone as his team disintegrated.
Why would Bertie want to win the GC by 3 minutes when as little as one second is enough?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xabi posted:

Why would Bertie want to win the GC by 3 minutes when as little as one second is enough?

Because all credit to Contador, he's not going to come within 2 minutes of Froome on that TT stage.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 7, 2014

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
With any luck Froome will be too busy looking at his stem and run into a barrier in the TT

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
I found Valverde was more disapointing than Contador yesterday, he was one of the favourite of the stage and didn't really try to win it.
GC favourites are probably a bit confused about how to deal with this tour route (because of no prologue etc), they are already at the top of the classification, which is extremely rare in a GT after only 2 stages and it's way too soon for their liking.
I don't think Sky want the jersey now even if they are at home and Contador doesn't really need a team around him as long as he isn't in yellow.
Also most teams programmed their peak of form for the second and third week.

The cobbles stage will be even more interesting, I can't see Nibali keeping yellow, he will probably be happy to give it as long as it's not to another GC rider.

For the strong cobbles riders we got :

Sagan 2 sec behind nibble
Van Avermaet s.t..
Kwiatkowski s.t.

Cancellara 35 sec

Lars Boom 15'08, Vanmarcke 15'39 and Terpstra 20'55

Sagan/Cannondale will be happy with the yellow, they already need to control most stages suited for Sagan anyway, it won't be that much extra work to have the yellow for a few days.
GVA/BMC they have Van Garderen for GC, not sure if they want yellow with Greg but it's unlikely TJVG will wear it at some point so it's their chance.
Kwiatkowski : Now that Cav is out, Kwiatkowski is OPQS plan B, they will be happy with yellow however he isn't as good as Sagan,GVA,Cancellara,... at cobbles (but he got Terpstra to help).
Cancellara : It was his goal to take yellow on stage 5, it's why he hold out and only lost 35sec yesterday but he will have to finish alone with 33sec over Sagan,...

Boom,Vanmarcke,Terpstra are good favourite for the stage win but too far to get a chance at yellow, their attacks may be the starting point of the battle.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Pocket posted:

None, same live feed packaged and distributed by France2. It's just when they cut to studio, that is at their own discretion, but now both France2 and ITV are showing the exact same replay of the final 1000m.

Edit: France2 showing more riders coming to the finish, whereas ITV went to another ad break...
Edit2: France2: the prize giving. ITV: More ads.

Thanks for this. I guess that makes sense from a cost-effectiveness point of view. Liggett and Sherwen mentioned that the camera ops/directors couldn't hear them so couldn't react to what they were saying. I wonder if the crew cutting the world feed in the truck can react to the France2 commentators?

Edit: A few other notes, ITV4 was being used because of World Cup on ITV1, and the worst part about ITV4 is that the picture quality of the lesser channels is way way lower than the main channels, so everything looks like digital mush.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 7, 2014

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'm sure that I've heard French commentators say something along the lines of "if the director shows us" and often times they'll be wondering allowed about things but the footage doesn't follow. It also depends where the crew have a camera.

During the stage to Emosson on the Dauphine the tv audience was clueless that Westra was even close to the Katusha duo until the last Km. Everyone watching on the mountain within the last 4km was aware of him.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 7, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Was interviewed for BBC Look North (North East & Cumbria) yesterday, and the footage was shown on BBC Breakfast this morning!

The original report was on Look North (North East & Cumbria) last night, about 3 minutes in: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04778j0/look-north-north-east-and-cumbria-06072014

How funny - a few people have told me they saw me on the BBC News this morning, even in the Netherlands!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Pocket posted:

I'm sure that I've heard French commentators say something along the lines of "if the director shows us" and often times they'll be wondering allowed about things but the footage doesn't follow. It also depends where the crew have a camera.

During the stage to Emosson on the Dauphine the tv audience was clueless that Westra was even close to the Katusha duo until the last Km. Everyone watching on the mountain within the last 4km was aware of him.

Ahh, fair enough then. I guess they are separated so that the world feed is as neutral and as homogeneous as possible.

Are you Dutch krushgroove? People get BBC all the time there.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thehustler posted:

Are you Dutch krushgroove? People get BBC all the time there.

No, but a guy I used to work with is, and he moved back to Holland. He sent me that photo off his TV this morning :)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Krushgroove a guy I work with wants to know what camera you have to shoot that quickly.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

New rule: Drink every time ITV mention Chris Horner's age.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Someone called in a favour and now every information screen in the large office i'm in at the moment has got the tour on!

my desk doesn't face any of them:smith:

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Our building is on the road they're passing by on (should be in central london by about 3-3:30pm) and I have a meeting then. Went to ask if we can re-schedule for after 4pm and told her why. She said I must be mistaken because the tour de France takes place in France...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ask her if she's aware of other common events, like Wimbledon or the World Cup! Although, to be fair, outside of Yorkshire there's no mention of the race in local towns and whatnot - just on the national news I guess? The level of enthusiasm and awareness everywhere in Yorkshire is just amazing.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Someone called in a favour and now every information screen in the large office i'm in at the moment has got the tour on!

my desk doesn't face any of them:smith:

Use one of the live feeds!

serious gaylord posted:

Krushgroove a guy I work with wants to know what camera you have to shoot that quickly.

The lens on my DSLR is busted so I brought my trusty Canon S95, which I've had for a few years and love love love. It's been surpassed by newer models, I think they're up to S120 on the numbering now.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 7, 2014

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
If any London goons are coming, I've estimated using the average speed at http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2014/us/live/aso/ that the leaders will hit epping forest after 3pm, and reach the finish around Lancaster Gate/Queensway by 4pm at the earliest. Bring beer

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

krushgroove posted:

Although, to be fair, outside of Yorkshire there's no mention of the race in local towns and whatnot

Plenty of mentions in Cambridge, loads of people out today

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If I take one thing out of the TdF is how amazing the riding is for you Brits.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Reminder that it rains every other day.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Xabi posted:

This a million times. The reason everything green and lush is because it rains. Hard. All the loving time.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

What's this about Team Sky wanting to win the tour with a French rider? Direct quotes from Brailsford to L'equipe

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Sky doesn't even want to win the tour with an englishman. :v:

edit:
I do think Yorkshire could be a great spot for a one day classic by the looks of it.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 7, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Xabi posted:

It's going to rain today, just after the stage finishes.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Um Sagan said he didn't attack Nibali at the finish because they are friends? wtf

Also, Ligget continually trying to blame Cancellara for the Cavendish crash.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Xabi posted:

Well, that does suck. We have loads of great roads here in America but they're mostly empty. So much to see on the British roads.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Withnail posted:

Also, Ligget continually trying to blame Cancellara for the Cavendish crash.

How would that work exactly? Did they have to go around him or something?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

The Tour is coming down my loving main road soon! :woop:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Rojkir posted:

How would that work exactly? Did they have to go around him or something?

He threw the 'pure sprinters' into a 'frenzy', thus causing cav to try to force himself into a gap that wasn't there.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Translation: he did something unexpected so a load of idiots panicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Haha holy poo poo i hadn't seen this from yesterday

vine.co/v/MPzvggEvOWZ