Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Given the way the Dauphine played out, I wonder how that will impact Froome and Contador's game of chicken. Suspect Froome will be much less willing to take chances and more willing to drag Bertie around. Betting on his TT performance.

And sorry, but gently caress giving Millar a free pass. He's sick and he hasn't had a result in almost two years. Apparently should have retired last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Not as good as the OP, but Strava has a cool summary up:

http://blog.strava.com/tour-de-france-2014/

List of athletes that have accounts (may or may not upload), routes for each of the stages and main segments.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Looked to me like Sagan was betting on one of the GC contenders to at least close most of the gap to Nibbles. Don't really know how else Sagan could have played it. He couldn't cover every single move by himself.

Awesome showing by the main contenders. And I have to admit, it warmed my heart to see old man Horner do better today.

dema fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 6, 2014

dema
Aug 13, 2006

NBC's Tour De France iOS app is great. $15, no advertisements and HD. Also shows where the groups are on the profile and has a searchable ticker. Same interface as Tour of California and USA Pro Challenge apps.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Anachronist posted:

Do you know if you're able to use airplay with it?

Seems so. Got an alert this morning when I turned it on that they'd fixed some issues with airplay.

Mr.Nice posted:

I found Valverde was more disapointing than Contador yesterday, he was one of the favourite of the stage and didn't really try to win it.

Don't think you can really be disappointed in anyone that was in the 2 second group. They made the selection.

quote:

For the strong cobbles riders we got :

Lots of good options. Should be a great race to watch unfold.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Withnail posted:

Going to spectate a pro road race should be about partying with your friends and generally having fun being part of the scene. Watching a blur of lycra for 2 seconds really isn't that exciting.

ref: http://www.manualforspeed.com/domestic/usa-pro-challenge-stage-02/

dema
Aug 13, 2006

What happened to Greipel? He get held up by that crash near the end?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Dijkstracula posted:

It's not super clear to me from the description - does NBC's app only stream live video or can I go back and watch previous days' stages?

Just checked, can go back and watch any of the previous stages.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Trying to sleep with road rash like that isn't fun. Tomorrow is going to really suck for Froome.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sure looks like the Astana guy set that off when he stood and let his bike surge back. Poor form. The guy behind him then reacted and took out Froomes front wheel.

edit; maybe the Astana guy was just reacting to the person in front of him moving over.

/shrug

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Mr.Nice posted:

Sagan down.

Watching it here at work and there was a gasp when he cut through that hole. Dude knows how to ride in a pack.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

MacDougall posted:

Froome out. Commentators basically disregarding Porte's chances to win. Can he win?

In the past, Porte has been a very inconsistent rider in GTs.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Its annoying because he was taken out 3 times by other riders. Poor positioning from Sky but still, other riders hitting you is just bad luck.

Some riders are significantly better than others at keeping themselves out of trouble in the pack. Froome doesn't seem to be a very skilled at that. Too much looking at his stem?

Anyway, bummed to see him out of his race. Was only hoping to see him lose time and be put back on his heels going into the last two weeks.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

He only got held up for a second. Teammate in front of him went down and it looks like he just skirted it.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Withnail posted:

Sagan won't pull

He was taking pulls until it was clear they weren't bringing back Lars.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Withnail posted:

For the record, I don't think any of Froome's crashes were his fault.

poo poo happens. But you can improve your chances by being attentive and well positioned in the pack. It's a skill.

Anyway. In hindsight, Froome was totally hosed going into today's stage. The crashes just sealed the deal a little early.

dema fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 9, 2014

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Crystael posted:

If any of you lot busy Froome-bashing think there was nothing suspicious about Nibali and his mountain domestiques dropping 2 of the best classics riders of their generation on the flat then you're out of your loving minds. Ridiculous scenes.

Na, that was the same old story. Fabs and Sagan wouldn't work together.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Oh, I think Oleg has already guaranteed that they won't be on SRAM next year. That bridge has been burnt.

African AIDS cum posted:

Van Garderen a oval office in his interview with NBC today, bit of a drama queen crybaby

Hey, something we can agree on. He was a giant pussy last year too.

Compare and contrast:

quote:

Andrew Talansky (Garmin-Sharp): “Could not have asked for a more dedicated and incredible group of guys to get me through today. Unscathed, safe, feeling great. It was an epic day to be a part of, it was a day I’ll remember for the rest of my life.”

quote:

Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing): “You guys got your drama, but that takes the race down a notch when you got your top favorite [Froome] out. In theory, it could make the race less exciting toward the end. I think ASO need to rethink having days like this in the race. For me, It could have been worse, it could have been better. We will just have to move forward.”

They both had crashes.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/news/cobblestone-chaos-tour-peloton-reacts_335295

dema fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 9, 2014

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Right next to Nibali too. Thought it was going to catch him.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Face. Palm.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Oooo nibali cracked right at the end. Can't wait till we get some bigger climbs

Contador can put in a mean dig on a steep climb while Nibali is more of a diesel.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Yep. Down tube went apparently.

That doesn't make any sense if there was a "70 meter long skid mark". DT breaking was probably the result and not the cause.

Loss of traction due to a flat seems more likely. Just a guess.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

LIKE A BOSS.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

They're saying no Contador for Vuelta. Recovery is going to take too long.

That's okay because old man Horner is going to dig deep into his suitcase of courage and dominate.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Levitate posted:

Man that feels like poor sports..womanship? Intentionally swinging all over the road to block someone seems like a huge dick move and wasn't there just a discussion on here about how that's looked down upon in mens cycling?

A guy would crash you out if you tried that on them.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Saw how Tony was riding and didn't fancy his chances on the TT stage.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Disappointed by the lack of rest day drama.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

InRng said he finished before the cutoff. AFWIW; I'm reading that Garmin management asked him if he wanted to drop out but he wouldn't. And that he didn't want any teammates to come back for him. Pride.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Love this.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

They ran live 'bike-cam' in the World Ports Classic in 2012 for at least one day. Why its never happened since beats the poo poo out of me.

On bike cameras are against UCI rules. Cookson is giving exemptions on trial basis. Tour of California a few months ago was the first time they were allowed again.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

This made me chuckle:

quote:

So far, Nibali has been immune to the doping questions that dogged Chris Froome (Sky) during last year’s Tour.

So much so that Sky principal David Brailsford was privately asking journalists on the rest day why no one was asking about doping this year.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/news/tour-leader-nibali-defends-decision-to-join-astana_336994

dema
Aug 13, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Its a fair point. Nibali is clearly on the top shelf stuff.

If he is, it's nothing new. He got top 10 at the TdF in 2009 and a GT podium every year since then. Given the current field, there is nothing surprising going on here.

Withnail posted:

Obligatory LTD photo

Stoked to see him doing well. Got to meet him a month or two ago. Super personable dude.

dema fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 18, 2014

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Vast majority of the rule violations just result in a minor fine for the team. If anything at all.

Edit; from last year, http://inrng.com/2013/07/tour-de-france-rider-fines-penalties/

dema fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 19, 2014

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Peloton was just toying with them. They never had a chance.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Or uci points. Second place is first loser.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

quote:

2014 USA Pro Challenge Team Roster:
UCI ProTour
BMC Racing (USA)
Cannondale (I)
Garmin-Sharp (USA)
Tinkoff-Saxo (Rus)
Trek Factory Racing (USA)

UCI Professional Continental Teams
Drapac (Aus)
NetApp–Endura (G) *
Novo Nordisk (USA)
UnitedHealthcare (USA)

UCI Continental Teams
Bissell Development Team (USA) *
Hincapie Sportswear Development Team (USA) *
Jamis-Hagens Berman (USA)
Jelly Belly (USA)
Optum-Kelly Benefit Strategies (USA)
Rapha-Condor (GB) *
SmartStop (USA) *

Kind of weak compared to this year's ToC roster. Half as many UCI Pro Cycling teams.

quote:

2014 Tour of California
UCI ProTeams
Belkin Pro Cycling
BMC Racing Team
Cannondale
Omega Pharma-Quick Step
Orica-GreenEDGE
Giant-Shimano
Garmin-Sharp
Team Sky
Trek Factory Racing

UCI Professional Continental Teams
UnitedHealthcare
Team Novo Nordisk
Team NetApp-Endura

UCI Continental Teams
Optum-Kelly Benefit Strategies
Jamis-Hagens Berman
Jelly Belly
Bissell Development Team

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I feel bad about it, but was pleased to see TJ lose time. Can't stand that kid.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, he is a time trialist that can climb. A little boring.

Mainly though, can't stand his personality. Every time he opens his mouth it grates on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Paddyb posted:

If you haven't seen the ESPN 30 for 30 Slaying the Badger episode go find it.

It's an old story (Lemond and Bernie), but it's really well done.

Yup, was quite entertaining. Good watch. Made his wife look like a total WAG.

Got to meet LeMond a couple months ago. I know he doesn't always come off well on TV, but he's fantastic in person. He hung out for a few hours at our office and told stories. Just bullshitting. Super cool.

Same with Laurens Ten Dam.