Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Sweet OP, OP.

:argh: Impey.

Cmon Bert, you are our only hope!*

*Things I thought Id never say 5 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

God Rodriguez looked rough today :smith: I wasnt really expecting much from him but his year is rooted. He has no chance here but itll take enough out of him hell be knackered for the Vuelta.

goatface posted:

Ruptured ligaments and an AC dislocation, apparently. Also claims the blame for the whole thing: http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en/news/show/mark-cavendish-update/1826

Accepting responsibility, generally not chucking tanties, seeming generally likable... WTF has happed with Cav? Has he really just chilled/mellowed in his old age, or is more that I cant stand Sagan so anyone who can stop him winning seems OK? 2 or 3 years ago I couldnt stand him.

Oddly enough its a similar thing with Lewis Hamilton in the F1. Am I becoming an Anglophile?

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Froome put in an attack like 100 meters from the top of a climb 5km before the finish, to which everyone was like 'whatever' and caught him 50 meters after the top. It was hardly a devastating show of force which mentally crippled his rivals. That will happen in the Alps when he drops everyone with a sustained 15 minute seated max effort where he gains 6 minutes.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

krushgroove posted:

They guy who was knocked down today was laying on the ground for a while, and he seemed old.

That poo poo was nothing, van Summeren put an 80+ y.o. woman in a coma at the Tour of Flanders. Its doubly nothing coz she was standing in the middle of the road. Some cycling fans are like 80's rally fans, only loving dumber.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

That reminded me of the Strade Bianche Giro stage Evans won in 2010, sweet as gently caress.

Such a shame about Froome...

Nibbles/Astana impressive as gently caress. Its almost a bummer because it would be wide open between all the other contenders otherwise (and still may be), but you cant deny Nibali 2 minutes or whatever it is after today. Deserves every second.

Also, I dont know if Id laugh or cry if Porte won this year. he wont

Edit:

loving lol.

Box Hill Strangler fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 10, 2014

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Turns out Im like 1 of about 6 Australians who watch cycling according to that graph. I mean 35 times more interest in Canada than Aus? Really?

Yes, Im commenting on statistics and not lady cyclists... what of it :colbert:

edit: Laura Meseguer on the other hand....

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Portes first GT he did well. Got the young rider award and came top 10 I think, and hes got a Paris-Nice dont forget. Im biased coz he lives down the road from me and see him around all the time in summer, but I recon hes on for a podium. I dont know hes got much for nibbles or bert currently though.

Talansky is the next TJ isnt he? A bit of a whinging tool who has more excuses than wins... although I guess hes ahead of TJ with the Dauphine.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

God I hope Rodriguez picks up a billion KOM points today and nurses them through to Paris.

Edit: looks lovely at the finish. If I sit up till stupid o'clock and we get 60 min of fogged in finish line cam like last years giro ill be pissed.

Box Hill Strangler fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 14, 2014

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

:argh: gently caress you tommy

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

This is going to be one of those days where 3 motorbikes is about 7 short of whats needed to have a clue whats happening.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Bert :(

jesus this is a clusterfuck

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

snapped frame? lol gently caress that

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

this is just wierd. he had no car for like 3 min, and still no teammates.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Yeah hes not a happy camper right now.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

All aboard the... Porte train? Kwiatkowski train? This will end up a snoozer now but im atleast comfortable with it being 'anyone but froome'.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Puritos gonna get caught, but its spotty jumper time :whatup:

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Sagan is a chump.

Gallopin is a lucky man.

Nibali will crash and break his arm on stage 15.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

They ran live 'bike-cam' in the World Ports Classic in 2012 for at least one day. Why its never happened since beats the poo poo out of me.

Also,

Withnail posted:

Sagan gonna win

lol

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

If Froome were here hed be doing to nibbles what nibbles is doing to everyone else. Sky/Froome were/are next level poo poo and were/are absolutely takes the piss. Thats why this nibbles effort seems more believable. It helps that nibbles isnt a giant fuckstick as well.

Also, friendly reminder that Valverde isnt going to win a TdF. Ever. Hes not the hope for a close race this year. There is no hope for a close race this year. Barring DNF's Yellow is done, and green is done. 3rd lovely tour in a row.

Again, it all comes down to the Vuelta to give us a good GC fight, and with Froomes wankhands all fixed by then he'll poo poo all over that and gently caress us for a hattrick of poo poo GTs in 2014. With the classics season we had this year, we were always going to be too deep into karmic race-fun debt to get good racing for the rest of the year.

Edit: GT enjoyment levels are like a bank account....

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Penalise nibbles... oh IDK, lets say 7 minutes for drafting.

Also, it doesnt take a Ferrari link to find Rodgers dodgy. Afterall he shared a T-Mobile team with people such as Ullrich, Zabel, Aldag, Kloden, Klier etc etc. Oh, and Contador obviously. And wasnt he on like the 2nd top level of suspicion on that UCI list from a few years ago. I WANT to believe, but Im a cycling fan who watched through the 90's and 00's, so Im not that gullible.

Box Hill Strangler fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 23, 2014

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Must have been some hardcore drafting by Rojas for a DQ. Considering we watched Stybar (?) in Paris-Nice draft a team car for 20k and only get 2 minutes or something.

Horners Saddle has to be the least used piece of equipment in the peloton.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Mollema is average. Ten Dam > *.belkin

Tour de France is a poo poo race.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

peanut- posted:

People's problem with the green jersey seems like it's more to do with Sagan being so exceptional no-one can compete with him, doesn't seem fair to call that "mediocrity". If it was mediocrity there would be a contest.

Sagan is an exceptional wanker, but besides that, people have competed with him and beaten him every time where it matters. Stage wins. Literally no one besides Coquard about 3 times even gave the slightest poo poo about intermediate sprints where as Sagan went into breakaways every day and picked up equivalent points to a stage win. And then proceeded to not win a stage.

People were talking about the KOM being the 'break away' jersey, when that perfectly describes how the green is set up now. Being able to score 50% of the maximum points available just through being in breakaways and being good enough to beat other breakaway guys in an intermediate doesnt necessarily make you the best sprinter.

Of course, its not Sagans fault, its the TdF for having a dumbarsed NASCAR style points system where theres no real benefit for winning stages, especially compared to intermediates.

Two or three 6/4/2 sprints a stage like it used to be was fine until people were like 'those intermediate sprints are useless, the sprinters dont contest because the breakaway guys always pick them up', and then they did this, and now.... no one contests them because the breakaway guys always pick them up. Its just that Sagan is always a breakaway guy.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

You see, a satellite up-link is like a bank account...

And altitude is like a withdrawal slip.

A suitcase is also involved.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Spain is awesome, Vuelta constantly owns, and more often than not lately is best GT. Let it remain on the downlow so we can look down our noses at people who only watch the tour.

Im into some pretty obscure bike races, you probably havent heard of them :smug:

Also Ill believe the Alonso thing when I see it. I love Fred, F1 and cycling so itd give me a fullon sportboner, but weve already heard this story twice before, and alonso/cycling talk during the vuelta surprises me not.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

It doesnt matter whos the bigger cheat, all that matters is that its anyone but Froome.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

If youre like "i dont understand how you can like X because he is/was/will be a doper" then you probably shouldnt watch cycling. Or most sports TBH.

Bert, much like Purito (and if you disagree I will fight you) is awesome because he at least has a stab, attacks, does wierd and crazy poo poo and generally make a race interesting to watch. Froome, besides being a huge bellend, races in the most boring way imaginable. Im happy to conceed that maybe its more a SKY thing though, and that maybe had Froome come up through a non 'grind them into submission' team he might be more well liked or at least have had his arseholishness forgiven for a little bit longer. Its too late now though.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

That was the Queenest of Queen stages in every way imaginable.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Gibbo posted:

Thanks for wasting my time rear end in a top hat. If you're going to require a zip code, put it first or specify American only

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

RIP Cuddles

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

poo poo world championships all round in a setting that looked like a busted arsehole.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

lol Apparently theres more than one Iglinskiy (who knew?) and theyre both busted within a month.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Was going to say that was a bit of a disappointing and slightly wierd end to the season, then I remembered the Tour of Beijing which is infinitely wierder and more disappointing.

Shame this season generally sucked once Roubaix was over.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Man who dresses as devil and goes to every big bike race 'retires' due to lack of sponsorship. The GFC claims yet another victim.

Shame he couldnt hook up some deal with Dirk Hoffman motorhomes, although Im not sure Ive seen him around for the last few classics seasons either :ohdear:

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Id wear Armstrong poo poo before Wiggins poo poo.

Also about 2 weeks before Christmas I was on my local ride and Richie Porte blew by me like a motherfucker with a chirpy 'G'day' and disappeared totally within a few minutes. His TT championship makes me feel better about myself and gives me a way to delude myself further.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

They all look like busted arseholes. FDJ really poo poo the bed on that design. OPQ is now the best kit.

In a random bit of appropriateness, im gonna miss seeing the Ausnats because i need to take my cat to the vet coz she also has a busted arsehole.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

I find the fact mtn qhubeka have farrah, goss and ebh loving hilarious. Like someone said 'yeah, thats what we need. were dead certain to disappoint and come up short of victory all season long!'.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Thank christ proper cycling starts again this weekend and these endless 'tour of (torturous shithole with hosed human rights)*' are over. Last week doesnt count because 'gently caress Froome'.

*Mostly referring to Australia.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Astana will go 'lol yeah, nah' and UCI will go 'welp we tried :shrug: ' and life will go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

poo poo result vs hilarious result. im conflicted on how to feel.