Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Skarsnik posted:

Some of the older guys still use mechanical shifting, Contador, Nibali (and Cancellara used to)

Fairly certain Contador uses Di2 now, with satellite shifters and all the jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
With Shimano STI, my hands/fingers would go completely dead at the end of 100mi rides with 10000ft climbing. With eTap I have no such fatigue. Now I'm imagining much longer grand tour stages day after day...NIbali is weird.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Yes.

He's a zen rear end dude.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Landa is a statue. Absolutely zero upper body movement on these climbs.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

African AIDS cum posted:

Froome went from doing this at the giro in 2009 to suddenly becoming the best GC rider in the world (due to drugs, illegal drugs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9RWROu_PWw

You can see the exact moment where Thomas Voeckler forces himself into Froome's soul.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I can't get enough of Landa's eyes rolling back, his lack of any body or bike movement, and lack of labored breathing. I could watch his deadpan expression for the remaining week of the tour without intermission.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Come on Michael Matthews.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
What a great ride by Sunweb.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
So he's really good at mistiming launches.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Matthews looking strong again, going to grab the intermediate sprint points and then let De Gendt go.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
LMAO Quintana what are you doing (besides already blowing up)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Skarsnik posted:

I've briefly touched 70km/h before and it was officially too loving fast for a sane person

Uh. 70km/h is a pretty unremarkable speed on a descent. You should be able to hit that with a few hundred meters of -4% and minimal effort, and unless there's something wrong with your bike it shouldn't feel scary.

80km/h is where things start getting a bit scary, You're officially baller (or heavy, or have really straight steep descents) if you hit 90km/h with any regularity.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 19, 2017

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

oliwan posted:

I'm sure you're a blast at parties

Realities need to be checked from time to time.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

willemw posted:

Descent-talk: 91 km/h. Not fun at all.

Definitely, each 10km/h requires a significant bit more effort and cojones than the last. It's nearly impossible for me to get much past 80km/h on the local descents at 61kg that my 80kg friend routinely touches 90km/h on.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Good Dog posted:

Posted with 1 hand while his broken collarbone heals, from going too fast down a hill.

It was my scapula, and I'm still lawyering it up since the the road repair crews were basically 100% at fault. :angel:

Dirtanium posted:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1091842224
Strava has Bardet clocked in at 106.2 km/hr, putting all of our numbers to shame.

Tour de Suisse in the last few years consistently has people in the 120-130km/h range. Now that is truly insane.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 20, 2017

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
There was a women's Tour de France. It was called Tour Cycliste Féminin and 15 stages at its peak. It eventually withered to 10, then 5 stages before being canned. Other long women's stage races got canned too. This had nothing to do with whether they could complete the course and everything to do with stark realities. The fields were smaller, the talent more strung out, and the sponsorship money supporting the event virtually non-existent.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Becuase she just spent the last 421 days breaking records people thought women cant do?

Coker's record isn't really comparable. Ultra-endurance cyclists have a much more limited skillset and most likely fewer genetic gifts. Props to Coker for having the support, time and mental fortitude to do nothing but cycle for 421 days in a row, but she likely wouldn't be able to compete with the Guarniers, van Vleutens, Vos's, etc. of the world. Also her distances were completely flat, almost entirely aided by a draft and she had a recumbent to use when too sore to use a conventional bike.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

I thought there's some thought that women might have higher physiological potential for ultra endurance events? Not that that necessarily lines up with 21 day stage racing in its current format.

I mean isn't the vast majority of the peloton in Z2, maybe the bottom edge of Z3 for the majority of flat stages also? It kicks up a notch on mountain stages, but they're still not going anywhere near their max 5-7 hour power.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I imagine it would be cheaper to run the events during the same weeks, with the women running the course a day earlier. That way the infrastructure and personnel costs can be kept down. What's stopping this is political. The TdF attacked the TCF and forced it to change names. Non-overlapping sponsorships would also create problems as brands fight for signage / ad space.

Also there's a draconian rule preventing new women's races from being longer than 5 or 6 stages.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

African AIDS cum posted:

How? All women's races are limited in distance by the UCI rules. I think 150 km is the maximum. The best thing for the sport is to grow organically. Right now teams are basically run as a charity case and riders are paid little to nothing. There is not a lot of money in cycling on the mens side either.

It's a bit chicken/egg. Organic growth has to start at the grade school level and expand upward, but with no end-game or personalities to look up to, there's no incentive to ever start. Just look on Strava or any other platform. The ratio of men:women using these training tools is something like 10:1. Money talks of course. USA Cycling pouring all of its funds into women's track for example. They've created a competitive product though much of it basically hinged on Sarah Hammer carrying the whole team...and now Chloe Dygert. There's 100s of potential Chloe Dygerts out there, but if they're smart they'll stick to soccer or avoid trying to make a career out of sports altogether.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Skarsnik posted:

222.5km, why

With the peloton plodding along at 210W on any flat portion and most around or under 300W on the initial climbs.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Norwegian version: https://streamable.com/h2ru5

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
So what gearing are the men going to use for this 12% average 120m climb? 56/42x11-30t? 11-32t even.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

oliwan posted:

I don't know, maybe you could leave this thread, find out, and never come back?

Sure. It's been fun.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Surprising no one, Contador just announced his retirement will follow the Vuelta.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

serious gaylord posted:

Buy my jerseys.

Cannondale-Gaylord

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Someone start a Cannondale GoFundMe.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Lol. Never change, Kayle, never change.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/08/news/kayle-leogrande-banned-eight-years-for-second-doping-violation_446847

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dirtanium posted:

Astana needs to do their best to build a train for Lopez. I'd love to see them try to take down Sky.

Astana is probably more at odds with itself trying to decide if Lopez can last the final week vs Aru the designated leader for the Vuelta.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Did his teammates?

They aren't in leaders' jerseys, so yes.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
https://twitter.com/vaughters/status/905852878350405634

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/3406/cannondale-drapac-owner-slipstream-sports-reportedly-saved-by-mystery-new-sponsor

Yay.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Looks like a standard wheelie swerve to me.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Oh... banana for scale?

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 26, 2017

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Withnail posted:

Has Sagan weighed in on the motor nonsense, at least he was there in person

Even with the lovely UCI test protocol, I doubt Sagan or anyone other active pro would dare suggest motor-doping takes place at the World Tour level.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Still better than brown shorts.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Writing was on the wall at Trek World a couple months ago.

“Everyone who was on a Emonda rim-brake bike in 2017 will be on a disc-brake bike in 2018 in every race. That means all of the climbing guys,” Shriver told Cyclingnews. “Before the concerns were weight, wheel-changing and safety. Now with rounded edges, bikes at 6.8kg, it’s just about having the wheel change as fast as or faster than caliper brakes.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

He couldn't have asked for a better leadout either. He just spent too much time trying to measure the field and didn't go with 250m left.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

paddyboat posted:

I think he was trying to give the win to his leadout man, just really dumb

Maybe, but it makes no sense to let anyone by Caleb win the sprint this early in the race. Also no mention of that in post-stage interviews. You can clearly see that he looked over his shoulder once at ~400m and again at about ~250m, and by then it was too late.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 19, 2018

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

I'm trying to figure out if anyone sponsored by Rotor is gonna run their Uno hydro shifting groupset this season?
http://road.cc/content/feature/234847-2018-worldtour-race-bikes-complete-list-years-race-bikes

I love it when teams have to suck it up and actually use the not tried-and-true stuff from their sponsors.
Can't imagine FSA is gonna push their semi-wireless group all that hard.

FSA made both Cannondale and QuickStep use its cranksets in the past, so I imagine their WE groupset will be foist onto select Astana and QuickStep bikes sooner or later. Some Dimension Data riders did test Uno last year, but it's bad and I think Rotor realizes how bad it is.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

There were a couple of honest (and negative) reviews, and then silence from cycling media about it.

I played with it at NAHBS two years ago, and then at Sea Otter last year. It feels like mechanical, but with more complexity and at EPS/Di2/eTap prices. It's lighter than those, but not by much. At Sea Otter they were only demoing the groupset in a 1x configuration with Q-Rings and a 2inPower set-up. I guess they didn't want to risk throwing the chain.