Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ukle posted:

Nice OP.

I live only 5 miles from where stages 1 & 2 will be so will get a chance to see it on both days. Stage 1 as you say is largely a scenic 'flat' stage, some small roads but that's about it. Stage 2 is where it gets very interesting.

The first 60km's of Stage 2 are largely dull - flat, easy large roads, only notable point of which they will be passing by Menwith Hill, the main NSA base outside the US. Its once they go through Addingham for the second time it gets interesting; they go through Addingham on Stage 1 as well, Addinghams a small Village and is very very lucky. Its about here where it starts to get fun. Really small roads that you wouldn't want to take a lorry down, and this is just a taster, and the roads from then on are all up and down hill all the way to the finish line.

There is one spot on stage 2 where I will imagine most riders will just say sod it and run with their bikes - Haworth main street, its a tiny cobbled street on a hill with only enough room for 1 car. If they don't run on that stretch there will be crashes as the road is far to small to cope with the riders given the cobbles. Its the main danger with stage 2, climbs and assents on very narrow walled roads, there will be crashes. Should be a great stage, I know the whole of Yorkshire is really getting behind it, and flags and yellow bikes have been out for weeks now in all the places the route goes through.

edit: Here is a picture of Team Sky on a test ride on Haworth street, it really shows you how small it is.

I think that streets wide enough to cope with a strung out peloton tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

vaginal culture posted:

Stunning OP. Top notch.

Dan Lloyd and some other guy rode stage 2 (and probably others but this is the only one I watched) and it looks beautiful. Might be a good stage. Hopefully it is sunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De5hf1DugDw

I've ridden Holme Moss and its a nasty climb. Will catch anyone that hasn't done a proper recce out. The last climb up Jenkins road will give us a winner too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jamsque posted:

David Millar is out of the Garmin squad, this tour is going to end up with hardly any British riders in it at all.

Cant believe they've dropped him. This was his farewell race and the team have been getting ready to give him a send off and he was playing the road captain role. They've dropped him on 'health concerns' after he pulled over at the British Nationals, where he was the only Garmin sharp rider.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

he was panicking last night on twitter about it. I think what's sealed it is talanksys dauphine performance. They're having to be ruthless because for the first time in a while they have a real GC threat in the tour, gutted for him though.

I can understand about Talansky, but are you telling me Garmin dont have one domestique they could drop in favour of him. With respect, its a very low chance that Garmin will be controlling that peloton.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oz Fox posted:

At this point, I'm just gonna be tuning in every morning in the hope that Sky has some sort of meltdown and real racing might happen

If Froome has any sort of racing brain (lol) he'll let someone else grab yellow and just stay close enough to win at the TT stage. No way can Sky dominate the peloton like the last 2 years.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Crystael posted:

Yup, Sky look like a bundle of poo poo compared to the last two years, especially. Losing Kreuziger is a huge blow to Bertie, though - who else has he got to support him in the high mountains now?

Froome. Because hes thick enough to pull him up the mountains.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I dont think Contador is stupid enough to be anywhere near Froome with a decently long TT stage to finish the tour. The tour will be won by whoever gets more than 4 minutes on Froome in the mountains.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Pre ban Contador never needed team mates tbf.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Stage 2 is ripe for Sagan to put the yellow on imo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Crystael posted:

Yes, I think the onus will very much be on Cannondale a) to chase down the break and b) drop the sprinters on stage 2.

Reports of the stage's difficulty seem to vary hugely, though, ranging from "as hard as L-B-L" to "a sprinter with good climbing legs could hang on".

Oh well, I'm riding it on Saturday so will see first hand...!

I've done the route and aside from the big on in the middle, theres a bit where it ramps up sharply for a mile on some narrow roads which is where I think people will try to get away. The finish is fairly steep too so the sprint trains wont bring a break back.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Impey has been pinched for pissing hot. Orica have dropped him completely.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

vaginal culture posted:

Fellow South African and BFF of Chris Froome isnt he

The last time they were in a room together Froome nutted him. I think Impey hosed his shrew of a wife.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm loving the cote de 'British hill that sounds hilarious'.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cote De Buttertubs.

Sounds like something a fat lad would have on his stag night shirt.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Carpet posted:

I'm now thinking of getting the steam train from Keighley up to Oxenhope on Sunday

Yorkshire :britain:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mollema is my pick for tomorrow. poo poo what happened to Cav though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
2 million people were apparently along the route today. Thats mental.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Most aggressive rider from the day before (one of the guys up front in the breakaway, almost invariably) gets red numbers.

Another interesting thing happens when someone owns more than one of the four leader's jerseys. All four must be worn by someone, so if rider A owns two, then the second place rider in the 'lesser' competition actually wears a jersey owned by someone else. I believe that in order of importance they go yellow (overall leader), white (young leader), green (sprint leader), polka dot (mountains leader). The order of the last two doesn't matter so much because almost no one could lead both the mountains and the sprints.

So, stage one was won by Marcel Kittel. He is thus the race leader, and so he gets to wear yellow. Peter Sagan leads the young riders classification (he was second on stage 1 and Kittel is too old), so he wears white. Kittel also leads the sprint competition, but he can't wear the green, because he has to wear yellow. Normally the second placed sprinter would wear green, but that's Sagan and he can't also. In this very special case, the third placed sprinter will wear green tomorrow, Bryan Coquard. Jens Voigt wears polka dots because he is the mountains leader at the moment and gets red numbers too because he was voted the day's most aggressive rider. Team Sky will have yellow numbers because they're the best placed team.

Most/all of these jerseys and awards will change tomorrow, but wearing a leaders jersey for even a day in a grand tour is an honor for riders and a really big deal in terms of their professional careers.

Theres a reason Cav was going hell for leather yesterday. He has never had the yellow jersey on the Tour before and this was probably his best chance.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If a GC rider wins enough mountain finishes and the sprinters share the flat wins then it is definitely possible to have all 3 jerseys on one rider.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrBling posted:

Sean Kelly is mad as heck about todays stage. Claims that it is a bad idea to have such a difficult stage so early in the tour and that it will be a nightmare for the GC riders because they risk losing upwards of 2 minutes on a hilly and technical stage.

Sean Kelly can shut his whore mouth.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm loving the amount of people crowding the road for just a 4th category climb. No-one being a twat and running a long side either.

Some utterly retarded bike riding by the peloton too.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 6, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yorkshire really is a brilliant advert for England.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

French tv are really surprised by how many people have come out to see the tour. Lots of praise.

2 million yesterday they said. I bet more today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hah! A Garmin rider just repeatedly slapped peoples smart phones out their hands when they were shoved in his face.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The sky team are weak as piss. I can only see Thomas up with Froome.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

They're going to end up dropping 2/3 the team to the rear to pull Porte back into it.

They've burned Eisel and some american I cant remember the name of but Porte is back to the group.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

That crowd is just ridiculous.

I like that there were police every few meters pushing the crowd back in. The French and Italians could learn something from that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TraderStav posted:

Great, thanks! How are the winners determined. Best overall time added up or number of yellow jerseys, or some other combination?

The yellow jersey is given to the person with the best overall time, so thats how its decided.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

loving hell I swear ITV must be breaking the limit of how many ads you're allowed to have per hour.

This stage is fun, it's making me want to visit Yorkshire.

They really are hammering the adverts arent they? And not just short minute breaks, but full 3-5 minute gaps.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol at Froome. He is loving scared of Contador.

Seems he put a nice dig in at the top of Jenkins Road and Contador couldnt follow him. Its going to be a good contest between those two.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think it was more of a psychological mark by Froome. Everyones been saying he's weak and that little dig lets everyone know he's still there.

My take from the day was just how piss weak Tinkoff Saxo are. Contador had no-one with him with 2 climbs to go.

Todays stage was pretty good and I'm really glad we havent had 5 pancake flat stages or a ridiculously short prologue/team time trial to ruin our fun.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
We shall see.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

Froome put in an attack like 100 meters from the top of a climb 5km before the finish, to which everyone was like 'whatever' and caught him 50 meters after the top. It was hardly a devastating show of force which mentally crippled his rivals. That will happen in the Alps when he drops everyone with a sustained 15 minute seated max effort where he gains 6 minutes.

With the time trial where it is this year, he doesnt have to. All he needs to do is sit on the wheel of Contador for the entire tour. Unless something goes wrong its Contador that has to put 4+ minutes on him in the mountains, which judging from today, will be alone as his team disintegrated.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xabi posted:

Why would Bertie want to win the GC by 3 minutes when as little as one second is enough?

Because all credit to Contador, he's not going to come within 2 minutes of Froome on that TT stage.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 7, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Krushgroove a guy I work with wants to know what camera you have to shoot that quickly.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

IndustrialApe posted:

I missed this yesterday:

That could've ended a lot worse.

Find a gif of the Garmin rider just slapping peoples phones out their hands as he was going up Holme Moss.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They seem very worried about the wet roads. Clearly never raced in proper cycling conditions.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Time for renshaw to show he can do something. OPQS leading out kittel again

I've always thought of Renshaw as a lead out man and nothing more tbh.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There were riders slapping phones away again today i'm loving that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I love it. Anything coming into his face and its on the floor.

My mate was telling me that the crowds were booting the phones around to gently caress them up even more too.