Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'd say it's very likely that their all doping. Also, Contador is fun to watch because he does things other than stare at his stem. Like ride up a mountain with a broken leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Withnail posted:

I was on a group ride with him shortly before this happened. Overcooking blind corners on flagstaff is not smart.

So they confirmed that he crossed the line and not the truck? I know they were uncertain when it first happened.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'm sure they'll come and he's trying to play it for all the publicity he can.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Given Canc beat Sagan earlier in the season in a pretty head to head fashion id say he just got out raced last weekend. He should have gone on the break instead of staring at his teammate and assuming it would be brought back. And I'm sure part of it is being 9 years older than a dude who's the world champion who won that by basically doing the same thing. Means the margins are smaller for gently caress up.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Started watching late but did I hear the announcer correctly when he said the Canc/Sagan gap was from a crash and QS hammering?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Hate that Canc is hitting the deck, but what a loving picture.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Premature ejacula- posted:

That sucks for the rider but it's not exactly difficult to cut down to the tibia, it's basically just the skin. That said, discs with aero covers might not be a bad idea.

Seems like something easy to say until it happens to you.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Maybe I'm just missing something, I don't understand the appeal/need for discs in dry conditions. I've never been in a race or out training in the sun and been "man, these rim brakes blow".

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Fair enough.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Paddyb posted:

Pro Cycling: 396 Meat Slicers

The Facebook comments on this are worst I've seen in sometime. Why are people so defensive about discs?

I dunno, but I wonder the same thing a lot. As with most hobbies, though, people get super defensive about the weirdest poo poo.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
He tossed it immediately.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Levitate posted:

Quintana looked like poo poo as soon as things got hot. I'm pretty poo poo at following pro racing and all but if he was expected to contend for the GC and waited until the race is half over to make any moves and then got absolutely roasted on this climb that wouldn't seem to bode terribly well for him having any chances to contest Froome.

That said, again, don't follow pro racing very much (trying to change that this year) and yeah if the GC stays close and he gets his legs back under him I guess he's still in it, but drat that looked bad today.

I assume they didn't penalize Froome for running without a bike basically because they erased everything that resulted from the crash anyways?

There aren't many chances in the first week to gain ground as a climber, but the chances he's had over the last few days haven't worked for him either. Last year he was best in the third week and that's when he made most of the ground up on Froome, he just had a hole to big to dig out of.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Want to say I read earlier that things are looking good for it to come back next year.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I don't think Sagan will get destroyed but I doubt he'll be in the top 5-10.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

That's loving terrible. :(

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wout broke his toe last night when he fell on the stairs at CrossVegas and still came back to crush everyone. Says he's still planning to race in Iowa.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'm guessing this is probably the end of the Jeremy Powers era for US CX. I know he's been battling injury this season, but he's had pretty poor results all season and was like 25th overall at nationals.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Hyde has been close to taking him for almost 3 years before this win. He's also done a lot better in the WC races this year too. Not saying Powers is out forever but I think it definitely signals the end of where he's the assumed best American in CX. Hydes also like 28 or 29 so he's got a few years to stay at this level and maybe improve. Also anyone can test lines. I'm not sure that says anything about his physical level and more about his desire to turn the tides on a bad season for him

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
How whiny is he when he loses?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Vando posted:

laffo at the three who sat up from the lead group, good move lads

e: looking at the post-race interviews I guess it was Sagan got pissed at the others wanting him to chase down the attack and the others waiting for him to do it?

He called out Terpstra on Facebook

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Seeing his body crash in any way related to his knees is painful to watch.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Owns

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I dislike the dude but I don't want him murdered by a driver. drat.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Movistar has domestiques that I believe in more than Orcia's weak retaliation over a race situation.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I always expect the TT guys to beat the best climbers. Nothing odd to me. Just think with a bit of coke he could have taken the KOM.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Tuiri posted:

While I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if Dumoulin was doping, since I just assume almost everybody in the modern peleton is. Let's not act as if this is the first stage Dumoulin won with this kind of profile. His second stage victory in the tour last year was also on mostly flat stage with a hard mountain finish, so was I believe one his victories in the 2015 Vuelta.

On the other hand the Dutch haven't had a grand tour victor in forever, so I am glad our doping programn is catching up with the Spain's and Great Britain's of the world.

There were enough questions about that 2015 win he released power data to get people to shut up. If I remember he did just at or just over 6 w/kg for like 20ish minutes.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Maybe he's just not as good as most give him credit for.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
YouTube?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Finally watches yesterday's XC race. Hats off to Van Der Poel. Hell of an effort.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Well at least we have confirmation he smokes lots of weed at home in Boulder.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Cav hit the ground loving hard.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I doubt Sagan will get punished for that.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Cav was coming from behind. He's not totally blameless. Protecting his wheel and line is his job not Sagan's.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Rojkir posted:

He gets a 30s penalty

Is this official?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Sagan DQ. Finally someone else will win the green jersey.

Other riders you know could just get better and compete with him instead of needing something like this to happen.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

nwiniwn posted:

Welp. The tour probably won't be as interesting now. Lame.

Yeah I was way wrong on that call.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
"Banned from the tour"? What? You certainly mean you agree with his DQ for the year and not that he shouldn't be allowed back. If the latter, this is goon rage at a new level. Honestly, if not for the people involved and the stage it happened on, this is a much smaller deal in most other cases I believe.

I'd still wager that while Sagan did not make things better with the elbow, Cav picked a bad line after being boxed in and Sagan always had front wheel ahead of him and had no obligation to maintain space for Cav out of being nice.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Di2 still uses cables to send signals. Only etap is wireless.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It's pretty common (to some extent) even in amateur racing in the US. Your team helps you win, it's your way to say thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Froome pretty close to isolated too. Landa not falling back. Haha.

Quintana now dropped. Been a rough two weeks for him.