Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
After all their pretense I'm really happy that the Sky colors are going to become a recognized symbol of doping just like the old USPS kits.

I mean, they already were, but you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He looks weirdly undamaged. Maybe he hosed up a blood transfusion like Ricco and they're covering it up. :thunk:

off topic but I like that the physiques of cyclists mean that like all their hospital shots make them look like they're dying of some wasting disease

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Asgreen might be pretty good

also what the hell Bora. They reacted so little to Sanchez's attack that the commentators assumed that Sagan wasn't feeling in form for a sprint, then Sagan wins the sprint to second place

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 16, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Disgusting. Brailsford must go

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
commentators seemed to think they were mainly being cautious with Thomas but we'll find out soon :pray:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Our best hope is that they discover the big institutionalized Colombian doping ring like they did for Russian track and field

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That was definitely a ride by Hugh Carthy to go over three HC climbs solo and win the Tour de Suisse KOTM in one stage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

I'm sure the ASO are trying to work out how to get Van Der Poel's team invited at the last minute too.

Not inviting them to PR was the worst ASO move of the year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mad that Bettiol just missed out on both the ITT and road Italian NCs because I wanted to see if EF would make a Italian champions version of their tye dye jerseys

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In Cofidis news, they managed to lose the French NC to some dude from Arkea despite being the only team with more than one rider in the final reduced sprint group.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you have a way to watch the French national road race you really should. Pinot going for giant solo bridge attempts and Cofidis hilariously eating poo poo, and tons of attacks on the last circuit.

e) Asgreen won the Danish ITT and was second in the road race. I think he might be good.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 1, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I get that people buy the service specifically for the Tour de France so it makes sense for the "season" to start there for pricing purposes, but my god, is NBCSN's "archived content from the last season" policy, meaning that the Ardennes races disappear like a month after they happen, dumb as hell.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's time for another bad grand tour

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
All this Belgian crowd shots is just getting me hyped for omloop 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Smirr posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, Merckx chatting to GVA and de Gendt just makes me wish the whole thing was in Blegum

just give the yellow jersey to whoever wins the binckbank tour instead of whatever ineos fraud wins this one imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i thought we had agreed not to let the Dutch wear the yellow jersey

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

peanut- posted:

It's because he's a twat OP

:thunk:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oystertoadfish posted:

in that crash into the barrier there was a cop on the wrong side of the barrier just ahead. that must be a sphincter-clenching moment. i think the cop pushed the fence in getting out of the way, and pushing it away there pushed the fence inwards further down, basically into geraint's face lol

we finally found a good cop

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Happy for Big Rig Uran

Smirr posted:

Wanna know what inspired the bold part

i don't know but i assume it involved Astana somehow

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 7, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
replay the sad Ineos golf claps until I die

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in shocking TDF news, we haven't had a "real" stage yet and a French pre-race favorite and Richie Porte are already almost out of contention

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah i was gonna ask, did that stage just kinda reaffirm things we already knew?

the dutch team stringing their guy's lead out for another day was pretty cool i spose, but i take it there aren't any real challengers there

Kruisjswijk is their GC guy, he's had some solid GT results (though without a podium) and might have a shout if the race is as open as the media keeps saying it is (it's not and Ineos will choke it down once the real stages start)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oystertoadfish posted:

thanks yall

i assume there's no semblance of a salary cap in this thing? it doesn't seem like it with skyineos kind of buying half the contenders, it seems

nah. a problem is that it's not really sure that a salary cap is desirable anyway because cyclists don't really make that much money. also a part of it is that Ineos somewhat borrow the US Postal playbook of focusing mostly on the Tour. like Ineos have 19 race wins this year while Quickstep have something ridiculous like 50 (because they concentrate hard on the one-day classics and european tour races)

the whole "sky dominating everything" thing has mostly been visible at the TDF, honestly the rest of it is "Quickstep win like all the classics" though they aren't as boring about it as Sky so people don't viscerally hate them as much

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this stage was always going to be Alaphilippe, wasn't it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sad we didn't get to see the peloton descend into town on that narrow track

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
was wondering why Alaphilippe walked off before his interview, and

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1148248575899590658

:france:

e) a split in the peloton means that Bernal and Pinot gained 5 seconds on the other GC riders

:siren: Bernal confirmed Ineos leader??????? :siren:

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 8, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sprint stages are rest days for the viewers

e) someone pointed this out but alaphillipe's win was even more impressive because everyone knew he was going to try something like that. incredibly difficult to win from a solo attack that everyone sees coming

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC he's literally banned from entering the controlled areas of UCI races unless he isn't technically banned from cycling anymore

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ban this sick filth

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Komet posted:

The mountains of Alsace looks a lot like the Blue Ridge. This climb looks as brutal as Vesuvius in Virginia, if any of you have ridden it. Tour Dupont went over Vesuvius back in 92.

we should get trump to bring that race back

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Komet posted:

Honestly, I really want to see a pro tour back to Virginia/NC. The organizers of the Richmond World Championship in 2015 tried to bring a UCI tour back to Virginia, but it didn't work out.

i've always wondered why cycling races in the US these days are things like the Tour of California/Utah/Colorado and not city circuits like the UCI Richmond Worlds. Like I don't think people care about the Canadian races too much but they do seem successful on a local level at least

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RIP Bardet

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i can't believe a french rider for AG2R isn't actually a GC threat

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lol Teejay

e) skytrain looked much less imperious as in prior tours, but that might be because we're in week one. was good to see movistar and even the FDJ riders able to set pace as well though

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 11, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not much GC action other than a nail getting put in Bardet's coffin but I enjoyed it. Kind of don't expect an early mountain stage to be too decisive anyway

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by all the action in this thread, i'm assuming that a freak crosswind storm has cut the peloton to shreds and sent the GC race haywire

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What a stage

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
death to Pinarellos

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
maybe someone should have attacked and joined the motor paced group lol