Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Good OP.

Alex Dowsett has been ruled out of TdF with chest infection so the tour might start in Yorkshire with no riders from England proper. Cav is from the isle of man which i guess counts.

also on the subject of GW1516 it rapidly causes cancer's all over the body, nastiest PED ever invented.
*insert picture of froomes mother in law*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

Cant believe they've dropped him. This was his farewell race and the team have been getting ready to give him a send off and he was playing the road captain role. They've dropped him on 'health concerns' after he pulled over at the British Nationals, where he was the only Garmin sharp rider.

he was panicking last night on twitter about it. I think what's sealed it is talanksys dauphine performance. They're having to be ruthless because for the first time in a while they have a real GC threat in the tour, gutted for him though.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Hopefully going to cycle out to catch a bit of stage 3 going through Epping Forrest. Saw a bunch of team cars when I was going down the M1, I'm hyped.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

ITV love adverts, especially if they make you miss something important.

Great attack by nibali, perfect example of how you can get away if people start looking at each other

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Seen the full highlights and the crowds on the climbs were every bit as badly behaved as they are in France with people crowding the riders and jumping in front to get a photo. Great to see such huge numbers though.

Also after seeing it again I don't think Contador couldn't respond to froomes attack he just sees that TJ is closing him down and follows his wheel, never looked in trouble. Good stage though.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Someone called in a favour and now every information screen in the large office i'm in at the moment has got the tour on!

my desk doesn't face any of them:smith:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Haha holy poo poo i hadn't seen this from yesterday

vine.co/v/MPzvggEvOWZ

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

This isn't the best organised peloton

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Time for renshaw to show he can do something. OPQS leading out kittel again

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pocket posted:

No one could get close to Kittel there.

Yeah it doesn't look like anyone's going to challenge him on the flat stages. Sagan still almost certainly getting green though

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Does everyone's time start at the same moment or when they cross the start line? Meaning that someone could have a better time but not cross the finish first? It seems that all times start at the same moment since the moment at the finish line is so critical.

The clock starts for everyone at the same time at the beginning of a stage. Everyone who crosses the line in a group gets the same finish line to stop crashes because of people fighting for 100th place which is where you might be getting confused.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Twicw i had people step into my path without looking where I couldn't avoid them when going into uni around South Kensington it's surprising how easy they down and how little you're affected if you have a split second to adjust your weight.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

krushgroove posted:

While I have little sympathy for the people who had their phones or themselves knocked to the ground, has there ever been any sort of attempt to complain, sue, attack on social media or anything like that from people who've been hurt or whatever? They guy who was knocked down today was laying on the ground for a while, and he seemed old.

"I stepped out into the road where I knew a race was taking place which had put out several warnings in the media about how dangerous that was and now I would like compensation"

Not sure it'd fly

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I didn't see the froome crash, how did he go down? Fairly major knock to confidence before tomorrows stage

EDIT: looking through the team lists i can't see anyone who's going to guide froome or contador through the cobbles like sparatacus did for schleck.

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 8, 2014

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

accipter posted:

Ugh, three Lotto riders went down and Greg Henderson abandoned the race.

Greipels not winning a sprint then

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Bolivar posted:

Where are the cobbles tomorrow in terms of stage profile (which kilometers)? I'm checking the tour-website etc. but either the info is not there or I can´t read it :ughh:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

demare did well today, hope it's not just a sagan/kittel whitewash.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pocket posted:

Though it means Trek have no real confidence in their GC contenders, Cancellara has been given completely free reign for tomorrow! :allears:

I hope people actually try and race rather then sit on his wheel. Would like some more :tinfoil: bike changes too

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

RIP all the collarbones. It's a bit of a vicious cycle in that the peloton is going to be more frantic now it's wet as the GC guys fight to stay at the front and therefore crashes are more likely. I can see froome losing time today thanks to sky's lack of race craft though I guess they have eisel to help him.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Cobbles are a huge test of bike handling, especially when wet. You've also got to be tough enough to stay alert and race while taking a pounding

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Got Eurosport instead of itv :getin:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

This looks miserable

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

That looks bad for froome. I think we're about to see him retire and the stage get neutralised

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

That's a massive shame for the tour as a spectacle

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Contador has been dropped by the leaders.

He's just chilling, I guess he's not bothered by losing some time to nibali

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

This is incredible from Astana

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Excellent stage, GC should be amazing

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Gibbo posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. With froome gone, there may actually be a race this year. The tour is the single shittiest race of the year, even moreso when there's a clearcut winner from day 6. Doubly so when that winner has no charisma and every interview translates to "I'm on poo poo you haven't banned yet; come at me"

The dauphine was cool mate

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Has it rained much recently? Roads that have been baked by the sun or recently tarmacked are horrendous when wet as they've got tons of oil on the surface.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

They dont have gps trackers on the riders do they? I often hear that as the main complaint from commentators. They dont have accurate timing data so they cant see if gaps are increasing/decreasing, and indeed they often don't have a clue where people actually are. They often get the breakaway riders wrong because the camera doesnt catch their number or whatever.

They have GPS trackers on the tv bikes which is how they get the time gaps iirc. I'm sure it'd be feasible to stick timing matts down over the course occasionally just to confirm exactly who's in which group if GPS isn't possible and some live telemetry of speed and power would be loving awesome.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The issue is there's only so many bikes and on narrow roads they can't get through to each group

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Mr.Nice posted:

Elmiger, Huzarski, Pichot, Delaplace, Edet et Busche with a 3'25" lead, best ranked at GC is Elmiger at 9'25" from Nibali.

According to le tour medical report, Delaplace is on anti inflammatoire, i e Corticosteroid

Cannondale on the front of the peloton but the rest doesn't seem interest to chase. Could be the first breakaway win of the tour.

Live start at 2:15pm CET (in 75min)

It's almost certainly something like ibuprofen which is a non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug rather then a corticosteroid

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Am I crazy, or did they not pick up coverage until the second half of the stage? Watching the British EuroSport stream, if it makes a difference.

There's only so many château's and windmills you can talk about when there's not much happening on the road, especially on flat stages.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Some of the big mountain stages occasionally have early coverage too but there's much more likely to be stuff going on then

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Anyone think Nibali might have a go over the top and just descend like a mad man today?

Cat 4 isn't going to be enough of a descent to give him any serious time but i think sagan may well launch off it

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

He's going to lose time

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Why the gently caress was talansky sprinting? what an idiot

Whoa that looks like a dead heat

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Did talanksy gain any time on nibali?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

i like coquard, i'm please he hasn't seem to have given up on green. think this should be a cracking stage both up front and in the peleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

ITV outdoing themselves once again. gently caress this i'm going into in the living room and watching eurosport. wasn't going to get work done anyway.