Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cipo hit by car

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/08/cipollini-hospitalised-after-being-hit-by-car-while-training/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Quintana looking pretty strong today:

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/14872

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

New secret pro

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/08/the-secret-pro-transfer-season/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dang looks like it was taken down for some reason. There was discussion of JTL in it, maybe cos of that? He has accepted his 2 year ban. Secret pro basically said, everyone knew he was on it. Another tid bit was that MTN qubeka was picking up more star riders, which leads me to think Boassen Hagen is going there.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 19, 2014

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What a ride by Carpenter!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Because americans don't give a poo poo about cycling. Less popular on NBC sports than competitive bass fishing i bet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

At least TVG isn't total poo poo anymore.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jens :allears:

Horner is out of the Vuelta: http://www.teamlampremerida.com/en/2014/08/conti-in-spagna-al-posto-di-horner/

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 22, 2014

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Albinator posted:

So is there a vuelta app similar to the tour one? Because I'd pay another $15 or whatever for that, especially with the all-star field this year.

NBC doesn't care about the vuelta that much.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Quintana is going to give him a good fight I think, especially when things get retarded steep.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I thought it would be cool to have a TTT late in a GT, somewhere between stages 16-20. This way GT squads have big incentive to try to keep as many riders in the race as possible. Have a long distance 60-100km, either before 3 or 4 days of big mountains or after said mountains as a last huzzah for the non mountain goats.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Keijl needs more j's in his name.

Love me some Jens, so sad to see him leave the sport. Hope we will hear him commentating next year.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Last 1.6km today http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/vuelta-ciclista-a-espana/australiano-michael-matthews-gana-arcos-nuevo-lider/2726097/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-alonsos-manager-confirms-worldtour-licence-request

I'm guessing they are in talks with some riders.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah I really wish there was a tour tracker or someone tossing the entire stages up on youtubes. Remember when RAI put whole stages up on the website and had live streaming from the Giro?

I fuckin' love the Vuelta.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bouhanni blocked himself in.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

We haven't had a solid week of sprint stages?

My bold prediction is Purito going to take the lead tomorrow.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dirtanium posted:

I'm hoping for some drama between Quintana and Valverde.

Valverde is the ruse so movistar don't have to defend the red jersey this early.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Chuffed for De Marchi, he's been on the attack everywhere for the last two months it seems.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Paddyb posted:

So anybody else think Bouhani's little swerve at the line was illegal?

It wasn't pretty and I thought he might be relegated. He had so much more speed than anyone else though, don't think it made a difference.

Almost guaranteed to rain tomorrow, watch for Froome tumbling up the mountain.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 31, 2014

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How about that Boonen? Jeez that guy is looking super lean.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

No rest day police raids?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cancellara fastest right now but Martin is on course.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm looking forward to Quintana vs Aru in the ~future~.

Also all of you whining about the broken leg, it was a hairline fracture and he was out training way before he announced anything in regards to being back on the bike/riding vuelta. He was playing possum pretty clearly. My favorite kind of bike racing, before it even starts.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

So the fact he got caught cheating doesn't bother you all?

Genuinely asking because I just can't understand it

No.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

ah right, the 'they are all on it but he's totally cooler than the rest!' argument

I shouldn't have asked

Also this is bullshit, get caught cheating, dont get to ride again

He makes racing exciting, is why I imagine most forgave him. Also he is not Froome.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Not entirely sure what the confusion is here.
An outright ban would be a much better deterrent no? Supporting him is also supporting the current 'slap on the wrist' system. If you really want a clean sport, you shouldn't be supporting either. Does that make it less :psyduck: for you?

Ok team sky.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bolivar posted:

I wish Vuelta would have some actual, proper mountains that create gaps between the top riders instead of this "3 km of hill riding on 15% gradient" poo poo.

Yes lets, decide the GC in the first week and don't bother with the rest of it. The mountains are coming, is this your first time watching a grand tour?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Great stage, pew pew the pistol is out.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

We still have stage 20 to look forward to as well.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Froome is solidifying second. Unless something bad happens to Bertie he's got this one I think. It would be cool to see SKY/Froome try something though considering how out of character it is.

That Aru sure is something guys!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rojkir posted:

I realize in a sense that Jens Voights attempt at the hour record is a little bit of an inside joke (however loving much I would like to hime actually make it), but can anyone tell me why his bike actually has a broad handlebar? I understand it's nessecary for the start, but why not just make a detachable bar that you can toss after two rounds?

It has to be a pursuit legal bike. Tossing things off a bike probably breaks some obscure UCI rule. I'd be surprised if Voigt doesn't get this one (Sosenka's record 49 something). He's a good TTer, the bike technology has come a long way. He won't beat Chris Boardman's 56 though - which is not a UCI legal record or whatever.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Macasaurus posted:

I'm the thread that's only readable with half the people in it ignored

The F1 thread?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cebrail posted:

Does that mean the UCI has decided what the rules are, what's an appropriate bike and what the current record is? I remember that being in some kind of limbo last year.

It use to be that you had to use Merckx type stuff, round tube frame, shallow rims etc. like in the first bike I posted. These restrictions made everyone lol at the hour record as some old oddity. About half a year ago, UCI relaxed the rules so you can use a pursuit bike set up.

quote:

Merckx set a new hour record at the height of his career in 1972, covering a distance of 49.431km in Mexico City with only Chris Boardman (49.441km in 2000) and Ondřej Sosenka (49.700km in 2005) doing better in using a traditional track bike as per the UCI rules for the hour record. All other record attempts are now officially categorised as 'best human effort' including success performances on aero bikes by Francesco Moser and Graeme Obree.

Blurb from: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/merckx-warns-cancellara-about-the-hour-record

We got to see some Chris Froome seated sprinting today!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So how many teams will Tony Martin beat with his time tomorrow?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Here's to hoping Cancellara wins the RR sunday, want to see him destroy that descent and win solo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Kwiatowski got the jump on everyone again!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What a season for the young pole.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

goatface posted:

I understand why they do the lap thing, but a long stage would offer a lot more variety and opportunity for terrain variation.

Or do the whole thing on cobbles.

Sorry laps are here to stay, they are easier to spectate and sell VIP tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

They're brothers.