Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Wooop wooop, good start!

No Kreuziger for Contador now. :( Majka instead, who says he's still tired from the Giro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Nibali's attack was pure beauty. Looked so freaking fast from the helicopter shot.

'What a kickoff!' indeed.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Oh man. Oooooooh man, that was good. <3 Nibali even more now. What a freakin' ride from him and Astana.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Nibali's death glare at Contador all the way up the climb was fantastic.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
For everyone saying the Vuelta should be good, remember that the Tour was supposed to be amazing with that 3 way battle between in-form Nibali, Contador, and Froome. Nothing is stopping Quintana or Froome or Rodriguez from crashing out of the Vuelta either. What if Froome doesn't come good by the Vuelta and Quintana rides away from everyone just like Nibali did here? Just because you like Quintana more won't make it a 'better' race.

Don't get the hate for the Tour. It's a bit overblown, sure, but stage by stage, the racing is pretty drat good.

Would love to see someone other than Greipel, Kristoff, or Kittel win today. Would be a good surprise and an interesting end to it all. Coquard, Demare, where you at?

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Anyone got a list of races Horner didn't finish/start this year? I feel like I've read that story over and over again, but I don't know if my memory is faulty. Dude should retire already.

Matthews/Degenkolb trading blows in stages 3/4. Love the lumpy/technical finishes. Now if Dan Martin could pick up a stage win, I'd be totally happy.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008

Gibbo posted:

Eh, it's fine in tennis. Everyone in the top 60 lives in Monaco and has infinite money for equal footing on all the drugs. Modern tennis is way better to watch as a result. And even with the drugs, Andy Murray still can't go for more than 3 hours.

As opposed to bikes where no drugs makes it a bit more entertaining because you get people blowing up on climbs instead of everyone just coasting over a mountain like it's nothing.

Lots of tennis players (other than Fed) have legs that look like they belong to pro cyclists nowadays. Crosstraining with PhilGil, Gerrans, and whoever else is in Monaco? Or roids.

Sprint game is shaping up to be Kristoff, Cav, Guardini, at least so far. Poor Haussler can't bag a win since nats, still rolling in 5th/6th in the sprints. The Aussie jersey just adds to the sadness. Kittel is somehow...still sick? Or out of shape. Several guys (Coquard, Bouhanni, Swift, Viviani) knocking on the door, but just can't seem to beat Kristoff.

Also, what is the point of Tour de Langkawi? Just seems like a couple of pro-tour, pro-conti teams show up to troll some poor south-east asian teams year after year. How many stages did Belkin hoover up last year?

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Wow, both Van Avermaet and Sagan have won stages in the past week. Coming good for the classics, which is super exciting. Now Sep Vanmarcke needs to pick something up and we're gonna have a party.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008

strangemusic posted:

Ciolek Smash!

https://twitter.com/Cyclocosm/status/579677398007840769/photo/1

Also, poor Stybar. I wanted to see him take a shot at this. :(

Oh man. That's exactly what I wanted to find.

He then grabbed his bike from Quickstep wannabe and had the rear wheel fall out. Then dragged the stays and derailleur on the ground, schlepping it to the team car. poo poo sucked.

Degenkolb won the drag race in the last 25 meters and still had time to sit up and celebrate. Good win.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Cav:

“I wasn't able to close the gap before the top of the Cipressa, so I sat there doing 650-700 watts for five kilometres, just to keep a twenty-metre gap. I got back on the descent, but it just cooked me. I was on my limit after that. You can't afford that on the top of Cipressa when you are a sprinter. It just cooked me. I wasn't able to keep moving up,” he explained.

Heheh...ehheheheh...goddamn pros.

Also, he said his chain fell off. Again. What the hell is going on with Quickstep's mechanics?

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Jelle Wallays looks so freakin' happy in the finish line photo at Dwars.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Poor Sagan.

Super bummed about Cancellara. Wasn't he saying this was his final year? Can't imagine Boonen sticking out too much longer either.

So who's left? Vanmarcke, Van Avermaet, Kristoff, Degenkolb, Stybar, Terpstra, Thomas, Wiggo (for Roubaix)? Would be interesting to see if Vandenbergh can pick something up, he keeps popping up in the finales but always has to work for others. Lars Boom could poke his head up. Or Devolder, I guess he's next in line at Trek, though they could ride for Stuyven if they wanted to. Would be super interesting if Wiggo DOES win, he's not really shown his cards in the traditional test races and has thus avoided the crashes that have taken out the old guard.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Luca rolling off the front for the WIIIIN. Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
I am so LOVING Contador's post-race interviews. We had uh, already planned to go fast. 'Cause Aru looked bad.